Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rift / Vive / VR General

Dexter

Arcane

VR THIAF:

Vertigo Games Shooter:

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Why the fuck are they making VR games for toddlers? No parent is spending a grand on VR for a baby.

Dexter

Arcane
Why have the "Village Idiot"'s and "Dumbfuck"'s found their way to this thread?

Venser

Erudite
All he had to do was take the fucking mic but no he wants to shout and ruin the whole video. Couldn't hear shit.

Venser

Erudite
https://www.roadtovr.com/displayport-2-4k-vr/

DisplayPort 2.0 is said to provide up to a 3× increase in data bandwidth performance compared to the previous version. Some of the features include support for greater-than-8K resolutions on standard monitors, higher refresh rates and high dynamic range (HDR) support at higher resolutions, improved support for multiple display configurations, and support for “4K-and-beyond” VR resolutions.
VESA mentions that through the DisplayPort Alt Mode, DP 2.0 has the ability to provide data transmission for two 4,096 × 4,096 VR/AR displays running at 120Hz—30 bits per pixel (bpp) and 4:4:4 HDR with Display Steam Compression.

Dual display resolutions
  • Two 8K (7680×4320) displays @120Hz and 30 bpp 4:4:4 HDR (with DSC)
  • Two 4K (3840×2160) displays @144Hz and 24 bpp 4:4:4 (no compression)

Doktor Best

Arcane
If you like swinging around like spiderman in VR then i can recommend Windlands 1 and 2. They are openworld puzzle platformers with basic quests and bow combat. A bit short but theyre on sale as bundle for 16 bucks which makes it a ok to good price/game hours ratio.

Oh and Blade and Sorcery is a nice murder simulator with impressive melee combat. Still very much WIP though.

Venser

Erudite
That Spider-Man game would be awesome if there were some web swinging physics but it's pretty much like old Quake 2 grappling hook that sticks to a surface and brings you toward it instead of letting you swing.

Dexter

Arcane
If you like swinging around like spiderman in VR then i can recommend Windlands 1 and 2. They are openworld puzzle platformers with basic quests and bow combat. A bit short but theyre on sale as bundle for 16 bucks which makes it a ok to good price/game hours ratio.

Oh and Blade and Sorcery is a nice murder simulator with impressive melee combat. Still very much WIP though.
I tried Windlands back in DK2 days when it was just a Prototype and played the first one for a bit a few years ago (it's 90% Off btw.), but it always seemed a bit... rudimentary looking:

Haven't tried the 2nd part yet. Regarding Blade & Sorcery I usually like to wait till these kind of games are out of Early Access or at least somewhat more Feature Complete and only make few exceptions like with Townsmen VR because I'd really like some more "God Games" in VR or Pavlov since it seems really far along, often praised and I'd like to try something like Counter Strike in VR and see how it is.

Dexter

Arcane
I'd really like some more "God Games" in VR
This is something I'd quite like too, but haven't really looked into. Any title you recommend to either buy now or keep an eye on?
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/rift-vive-vr-general.109448/page-2#post-5557394

Tethered is still the most "Feature Complete" option with 10+ Levels:

Townsmen VR and Deisim seem to still be in Early Access, but they have developers that are still actively working on them as of last month:

"Super Island God" has been discontinued and is what it is:

Here's a short Overview from earlier this year:

Jigawatt

Arcane
I hate Eurogamer but this article was sorta interesting:

It is about a potential link between VR and dementia.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...whether-theres-a-link-between-vr-and-dementia

Take everything you read in that article with a beach worth of salt. Even basic factual things, like what date it was published. Why?

First of all that awful description of Neuroplasticity
In other words, neuroplasticity (the brain's ability to change how neurons, the cells responsible for brain function, are connected to one another) puts all the pieces together. Imagine that you're putting together an enormously complicated jigsaw puzzle. Perhaps you've managed to form an image of a cloud, and an image of a car. These are two separate and seemingly unrelated images surrounded by hundreds of individual puzzle pieces. Neuroplasticity puts the whole puzzle together for you, so that instead of a cloud to your left and a car to your right, you can now see one complete scene; a sunny sky full of clouds above a busy street full of traffic.

Just read the summary here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroplasticity and try to figure out how that in any way relates to the analogy given. It's a complete mess, so wrong I don't even know where to begin.

Then you've got this

We put the screen not just in front of him like a TV, but as a screen that goes all around him, and the image comes all the way up to his feet, so he's completely immersed, [better than] typical VR that's available these days. You put on goggles, but you don't see your legs, you don't see your hands. But [the rats] can totally see themselves, they can see their own shadows, so it's a fully immersive and non-invasive virtual reality. So kind of the Rolls Royce of virtual reality compared to what we have for humans.

What we have for humans was significantly better 25 years ago, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cave_automatic_virtual_environment . This is basically the system described, but with tracked head position and shutter glasses for stereo. It would be nice if EG's VR correspondent would know that but I am unsurprised they never heard of anything before the Rift.

This assertion is just wild, and it's no surprise he says "we believe" and not "it has been proven":

"We believe the way all animals perceive space is identical, and it must be so," says Mehta. "Because if you think that wine is delicious, but your dog doesn't, that's okay. But if your dog didn't agree with where you are, you are going to collide. Lions and zebras are going to collide; perhaps all zebras are going to be eaten up, because lions will catch them too soon, and then lions will die because they'll get too fat. Life on the planet, all animate life on the planet, would come to an end if all the species - doesn't matter how different they are, birds, crocodiles, zebras - didn't agree on exactly what space and time are one hundred percent. We believe this is a fundamental property of all animal cognition, and it is commonly shared. That's why studying the rat's behaviour of perceiving space gets us to understanding how we create abstract ideas."

What on Earth could make someone conclude this? Of course different animals reason about space and time in extremely different ways. Animals that use sonar don't "visualise" the results in some human-compatible way, they simply navigate using a model derived from the information they have. And are animals that are only alive for a day or two really perceiving time at the same rate as people? Somehow I doubt it. This premise comes from rat researchers and the media around them desperate to turn easy to study results into meaningful conclusions for people, but it just doesn't work that way.

But the real kicker is there's already prior studies on this. At risk of doxxing oneself I worked on a study where we actively tried to rewire people's brains via VR taking advantage of neuroplasticity and let me tell you, it ain't easy. Even when you have willing participants dedicating hours to the task each day. VR stimuli isn't significantly more able to rewire brains than real-world stimulus, it simply allows us to play tricks with reality in a new way. In sum, don't believe games journalists, don't believe rat researchers

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom