Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do you play one RPG at a time or several concurrently?

RaptorRex888

Learned
For years I would only play one RPG at a time until I finished it. These past few months I've actually been playing seven at once (Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, Torment: Numenera, Planescape: Torment, Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire, Witcher 3: Blood & Wine (Not a pure RPG, but whatever) and Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom) I've been playing one every day of the week and I'm quite enjoying the experience. Granted, I've already played several of them so take that into consideration.

Codex Year of the Donut
I am concurrently playing

• Wizardry 8
  • BG2
  • Kangmaker
  • Anachronox
  • ATOM RPG
  • Enderal
  • MotB

I plan on starting a KOTOR playthrough in the next few hours.

PsychoFox

Educated
Yeah one at a time will net you the best experience. You really want to immerser yourself in the RPG. That being said, i myself have trouble sticking to one game at a time.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I sure as hell don’t play one at a time (rpg or not doesn’t matter). I have like 5-15 going at the same time. I currently have these games going:

Tale of Wuxia: The Pre-Sequel
Final Fantasy VIII
Persona 5
Heroes of Ruin
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
Arc the Lad 2
Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines

This way, I never get bored of any game. I also notice that I have gone full weeb.

grimace

Arcane
Imagine this scenario:

Begin new RPG and play until the enjoyment wears off.
Start new RPG and play until the enjoyment wears off.
Return to previous RPG save file.

Never completing either RPG.​

Do we consider this "playing concurrently"?

Abhay

Augur
I do sometimes install two games and play concurrently - (divine divinity and baldurs gate 2), but mostly I prefer a single game playthrough.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I have a few games in progress right now. I've been on the same Morrowind playthrough for 2 years. Some games are just too long to finish without taking a break.

Vulpes

Scholar
I mostly try to spread out my playtime across multiple genres and subgenres to avoid burnout, so out of the dozen or so games I'm currently playing, only a few of them are actual RPGs and those would be: Icewind Dale, Streets of Rogue and Deus Ex. The rest are either strategy games, shooters or indies

Dux

Arcane
It depends but I generally stick with one RPG at a time. Most CRPGs are a totally different animal to other games, commanding a different kind of attention and patience. D:OS almost made me burnout entirely. Having said that I'll always have plenty of distractions going at all times. When I was playing Morrowind recently I had Ground Control, Police Quest(s), Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure and some Alone in the Dark 2.

Max Damage

Savant
Most of time I just stick to one RPG at a time. I feel due to nature of RPGs it's harder to accomplish much in short bursts unlike with STGs, fighting games or platformers. Even with relatively short RPGs like Fallout or ToEE the genre has always been more of a slow burn for me, which is why when I get tired I take a break to play/do something else, but don't start another RPG unless I absolutely feel like dropping the one I am currently playing for good.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
RPGs are not like women. You cannot seriously enjoy more than one at the same time. It weakens the immersion.

It's less dangerous though. :roll:

As for cRPG, i play the great ones one at a time, for everything else, it depends, when i'm tired of some retarded features, i switch to another game, sometimes, i come back to the previous one, sometimes not ...

I sometimes play different types of RPG/game concurrently, so for example, one in-depth RPG and one shallow action game or Diablo clone, as a change-of-pace type thing. But if you are playing seven at once, I suspect none of them are very good or you don't like them.

One at time because RPGs are long.Risen took me 60 hours to beat,if i had only played 1 hour of Risen per day,would take me 2 months to beat the game !

Martyr

Arcane
depends on the games. I can play two or more RPGs at the same time, but they have to be different.
for example: I could play Kingdom Come and Dark Sun concurrently. I could not play Kingdom Come and Daggerfall concurrently. or Grimoire and Wizardry 7 at the same time would also be a no go.
but tbh normally I stick to one game. if that game lacks something that I want, I tend to go get that something elsewhere.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I usually suck 1 RPG dry out until I literally begin loathing it and then go for the next.

I am like rpg vampire who breaks masquerade all the time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom