Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Smaug and Lilura argue about Baldur's Gate, RTwP vs TB, etc

Curratum

Haven’t played Fallout or Arcanum.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Since I’m starting Champions of Krynn, I’ll probably go through the trilogy and the Forgotten Realms trilogy afterward. Then I got a lot of blobbers to play.

You probably also didn’t know that Pathfinder Kingmaker was my first CRPG.

You know, even I am bothered by this attitude of pretending to like ancient, crippled shit like this, while at the same time shitting on newer, better made, prettier games that provide a user experience that is lightyears ahead of fucking GoldBox.
Gold Box has much better combat than fucking Baldur’s Gate. Jesus Christ, you are stupid.

The only thing that comes through as stupid is someone defending a game that has combat taking place in what looks like a 180x180 screen space.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Haven’t played Fallout or Arcanum.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Since I’m starting Champions of Krynn, I’ll probably go through the trilogy and the Forgotten Realms trilogy afterward. Then I got a lot of blobbers to play.

You probably also didn’t know that Pathfinder Kingmaker was my first CRPG.

You know, even I am bothered by this attitude of pretending to like ancient, crippled shit like this, while at the same time shitting on newer, better made, prettier games that provide a user experience that is lightyears ahead of fucking GoldBox.
Gold Box has much better combat than fucking Baldur’s Gate. Jesus Christ, you are stupid.

The only thing that comes through as stupid is someone defending a game that has combat taking place in what looks like a 180x180 screen space.
Yet, so far it’s been far more enjoyable to play than anything BG had to offer.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
You keep changing the topic for some reason. BG1 is fucking trash. That was my whole goddamn point. Then you started talking about BG2, Fallout, and Arcanum. Like what?

The fact that you haven't played Fallout or Arcanum overrides every other inadequacy of yours. :lol::lol::lol:

I write you off, and anyone else on the 'Dex who hasn't played them.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
You keep changing the topic for some reason. BG1 is fucking trash. That was my whole goddamn point. Then you started talking about BG2, Fallout, and Arcanum. Like what?

The fact that you haven't played Fallout or Arcanum overrides every other inadequacy of yours. :lol::lol::lol:

I write you off, and anyone else on the 'Dex who hasn't played them.
I told you already. I will play them after I complete my backlog of stuff.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
CoK-3 Hours.

Three hours? :lol::lol::lol:
Three of a goldbox game and he's already willing to decree them as the incline of rpg. They were the shovelware of their time. Churned out in quick succession for quick D&D licensing bucks. Very little substance beyond a level of repetition and sluggish combat against very large hordes of trash that takes more time to resolve than it should. First person crawling outside of combat, that stuff was better done in many other games of the era, and dedicated crawlers don't make you feel like punching the monitor because of the slugged combat. Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord aged better than any of this, which is why the jap are still cloning it while Gold Box faded into non existence after a quick flash in the pan of churning out 12 games in only 5 years of existence. 12 games. 12 times of this stuff. You had to be really hungry and starved for some D&D licensed cock to do all this.
Any wizardry clone will make this shit look like you're sniffing paint

Dorateen how would you rate Gold Box encounter design, is it all just trash mobs compared to BG1? I know you played them all.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
It's calling for support now. :lol::lol::lol:
I’m getting confirmation from someone who has more expierence than me. What’s the issue? I haven’t played *that* much gold box. So, I want to see if Lutte claim is true that all the games are just trash combat.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Plus you misunderstand me. GB’s baseline system (Turn-based) should have been a template for future D&D combat systems (ala Baldur’s Gate). To deny that in favor of RTWP is retarded.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I literally can’t reason with any of you fucktards because you just keep spamming memes based off false premises.

:deadhorse:

Curratum

Turn-based is slow and outdated, it takes you out of the moment and every combat takes half an hour. Rtwp, while often annoying in clusterfucky fights, sacrifices precision for what is decidedly a more realistic presentation, because that lizardman archer definitely isn't going to stop and wait for your archer to poke him first just because you rolled better initiative.

I can understand people liking the precision and planning of TB, what bothers me is that the same people are usually retarded enough to NOT be able to grasp why other people actually like rtwp.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Turn-based is slow and outdated, it takes you out of the moment and every combat takes half an hour. Rtwp, while often annoying in clusterfucky fights, sacrifices precision for what is decidedly a more realistic presentation, because that lizardman archer definitely isn't going to stop and wait for your archer to poke him first just because you rolled better initiative.

I can understand people liking the precision and planning of TB, what bothers me is that the same people are usually retarded enough to NOT be able to grasp why other people actually like rtwp.
:dead:
And people are calling me stupid. LOL

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here

I really hope this guy stands for all of you, because this is just embarrassing:lol:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
BG1 is basically Fellowship of the Ring Faerun edition. You are an inexperienced young person who has now been cast out of a quiet and sheltered existence and flung into a world full of danger and uncertainty. A big chunk of the game is "empty" for a reason. The game is basically an open world adventure that's mostly about exploration and sight seeing until you hit Baldur's Gate. I don't have an issue with that set up and i can see why people prefer BG1 over BG2, since the latter threw all that out of the window. The problem with both of those games is the often childish writing and facile pandering. I mean i had no ideas who Elminster or Drizzt were when i first played the game but now that i do it's kinda cringy that they put those encounters in there. The whole Bhaalspawn shit was also pretty gratuitous. Saverok's political machinations were far more interesting.

I mean they are both good games but the Bioware retardation was always there from the start. Comparing them with something like Icewind Dale it becomes a toss up between choosing something that's much more ambitious and large scale but has a lot of retardation in it and something that is more pedestrian in scope but is mostly free of cringe inducing childishness. All the IE engines games have similar "trade offs", you have to take them or leave them.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
BG1 is basically Fellowship of the Ring Faerun edition. You are an inexperienced young person who has now been cast out of a quiet and sheltered existence and flung into a world full of danger and uncertainty. A big chunk of the game is "empty" for a reason. The game is basically an open world adventure that's mostly about exploration and sight seeing until you hit Baldur's Gate. I don't have an issue with that set up and i can see why people prefer BG1 over BG2, since the latter threw all that out of the window. The problem with both of those games is the often childish writing and facile pandering. I mean i had no ideas who Elminster or Drizzt were when i first played the game but now that i do it's kinda cringy that they put those encounters in there. The whole Bhaalspawn shit was also pretty gratuitous. Saverok's political machinations were far more interesting.

I mean they are both good games but the Bioware retardation was always there from the start. Comparing them with something like Icewind Dale it becomes a toss up between choosing something that's much more ambitious and large scale but has a lot of retardation in it and something that is more pedestrian in scope but is mostly free of cringe inducing childishness. All the IE engines games have similar "trade offs", you have to take them or leave them.
I prefer IWD.

Cael

Arcane

BG was good because it was pretty low level. The higher level of BG2 really killed it for me. People forget that level 8-10 is basically where 1st ad 2nd Ed ended. Any higher and you are going into Epic territory. That is why dragons with "only" 70hp were bloody terrifying in those days.

It was only with the advent of 3.x that levels went crazy and 4th made it even crazier with 30 levels pre-Epic (or functional equivalent).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom