Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Smaug and Lilura argue about Baldur's Gate, RTwP vs TB, etc

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
When complaining about lack of features such as climbing, it's worth bearing in mind that BioWare were not super-talented coders like Sir-Tech (Jagged Alliance 2): BioWare was only a fledgling company when they developed BG. They had only developed one game before that: Shattered Steel. And they already had an RTS engine in the pipeline: Battlefield Infinity.

And yet, they still managed to put a big, contiguous world together, with a solid plot and a half-decent combat system and ruleset implementation. It's a great creative, technical and organizational achievement.

01.jpg

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I don't -hate- BG1. I understand its historical context too. And I wasn't as critical when I first played it. I just like BG2 better. Although on the writing front BG1 was better done. The conspiracy and politics were a cooler topic than your bitchy sister is abducted and you should care instead of applaud the criminal for some goddamn reason. If I had the choice I would have given Irenicus a fucking medal.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I don't see how anyone can like the sequel better than the seminal installment, other than by flaw of bad taste.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Because playing through ToB with Gaider's Ascension gave me what I felt was the penultimate IE experience.

Mods'll fix it (and Ascension didn't). :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Nothing could fix Throne of Bhaal short of a complete rewrite of both Shadows and Throne.

My review of Throne.
I liked it solely for its hack and slash qualities, particularly with the enhanced modded encounters. I don't disagree that it did everything else worse, nor do I disagree that BG2's narrative is broken and the focus from ToB would have been better served in the main game itself, as much of Shadows of Amn is like a diversion from the original plot threads. The gauntlet nature of many of the encounters were very, very enjoyable to me.

Cael

Arcane
It was only with the advent of 3.x that levels went crazy and 4th made it even crazier with 30 levels pre-Epic (or functional equivalent).

Is high levels actually a thing in third edition table top games?

The reason why second edition topped at low levels is because of how long it took to reach really high levels in real life playing. Only in video games one would expect to get to epic levels, i can't imagine third edition would be any different from second edition in that respect, but then i don't play pnp so i don't know.
They made it so that, on average, you do 13.33 encounters of your party's level, you gain a level. Just think about that for a second. Your average PnP session has, what? 4-5 such encounters?

The real problem, though, is that they start pandering to higher levels with monsters that go up to there. ToEE, for example, has that infamous Balor that your level 10 party is supposed to fight and win. A real Balor is a CR 20 encounter in the 3.5 system, designed for level 20 parties. Normally, it would wipe the floor with a level 10 party. So, why is it there? Because it is a relic of 1st Ed, where Epic was level 10 or so, and the Balor was a level appropriate encounter.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
As I've said over and over again, Durlag's Tower is the jewel in the crown of the Infinity Engine. It alone destroys the entirety of BG2.

Love for excessive set-piece battles is major decline. :lol::lol::lol:

The monocled prefer sustained battles against tough hordes, as seen in IWD and IWD2.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Lutte your taste are apparently complete shit according to Lilura. How do you feel?

Curratum

As I've said over and over again, Durlag's Tower is the jewel in the crown of the Infinity Engine. It alone destroys the entirety of BG2.

The monocled prefer sustained battles against tough hordes, as seen in IWD and IWD2.

Don't be like that, Lilura, I almost quit IWD entirely after Mr Soy-er made me fight the exact same horde of big skeletors and cold wights of whatever the fuck it was FOUR TIMES IN A ROW on the level before the yuan-ti temple in Chapter 2.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

I guess this is why you loved DAO and I hated it. Samey is boringmey

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Don't be like that, Lilura, I almost quit IWD entirely after Mr Soy-er made me fight the exact same horde of big skeletors and cold wights of whatever the fuck it was FOUR TIMES IN A ROW on the level before the yuan-ti temple in Chapter 2.

You exaggerate. But such encounter design goes beyond prestigious and becomes prestige itself. :obviously:

Curratum

You exaggerate. But such encounter design goes beyond prestigious and becomes prestige itself. :obviously:

I do not. The level with the necromancer in the chamber on the bottom right has literally four of the exact same horde.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom