Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Your Unpopular Gaming Opinions

catfood

AGAIN
Warcrap 2 is garbage. Terrible UI, near identical factions which leads to boring gameplay, near identical mission design in the campaign which exacerbates the "same old shit" from the previous point, retardo fanbase. Good music, though.

Diablo is trash. Click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click and veeeeeeeeeeeeeeryyyyyyyyyy slooooooooooowwww waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalking. BUT MUH ATMOSFEAR!!111

Settlers 2 is rubbish. Casual waiting village sim. Nothing ever happens in this game. Ever. Scientists have successfully used it as treatment for insomnia.

I'll add more later.

EDIT:

Thief 2 is not that great. Compared o modern games it's genius, but compared to the first game it's a letdown. The biggest problem is the samey-ness of the levels due to the fact that all of them take place in a city-like environment and the enemies you face are the same. In the T1 you had more variety present, both in locales and enemies. I didn't like the robots in 2. I thought they looked and sounded retarded. And speaking of which the villain just plain sucks. I mean in the first game you're battling the devil himself but here your opponent is some autistic incel with a lisp. Sorry, I meant lithp. What the fuck were they thinking?

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
Diablo is trash. Click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click and veeeeeeeeeeeeeeryyyyyyyyyy slooooooooooowwww waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalking. BUT MUH ATMOSFEAR!!111

The sanctity of this thread has been fouled.

Every Diablo clone is shit, even the well-loved ones like Nox, but Diablo 1 as a standalone game is fine, if you ignore the disastrous subsequent effect it had on RPGs.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
- Quake is overall a better game than Doom (disclaimer: I love Doom to death).
- Doom 64 > Doom 2, no contest.
- Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale are sort of not very good nor entertaining games.
- Unreal Tournament 2004 sucks dick overall and UT3 is a better game.
- Heretic is far better than both Hexen and Hexen 2.
- Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines is better than Deus Ex.
- Circle of the Moon is the best Castlevania despite how clunky Nathan's controls are compared to, say, Alucard's.
- Alien Isolation is the best horror game of all time.
- The Hitman series is terribly overrated (though Blood Money and the two latest titles are great).
- Doom 3 is a pretty good game all things considered.

Expecting the retadreds.

catfood

AGAIN

The sanctity of this thread has been fouled.

Every Diablo clone is shit, even the well-loved ones like Nox, but Diablo 1 as a standalone game is fine, if you ignore the disastrous subsequent effect it had on RPGs.
Yeah, thanks for reminding me that Diablo is also one of the reasons why RPG's went to shit for 15 years or so. Another reason to hate it.

Lemming42

Arcane
Command and Conquer (the original 1995 game) is better than Red Alert in my opinion, even though I can see it's pretty much objectively worse.

As was said on the previous page, Max Payne 2 was unnecessary. I'd go further and say that it's actually retroactively damaging to the first game, by scrapping the self aware tongue-in-cheek tone and making Max into a shitty emo. The plot isn't interesting on its own either.

Quake 2 isn't as bad as people say, and Quake 1 isn't as good as people say. To clarify, I don't think Quake 2 is especially good and I don't think Quake 1 is especially bad, I just think that the general consensus about them both is slightly off. Of the two, I still prefer Quake 1.

Half-Life 1 was an overall positive influence on the FPS genre. Most of the damage that people (wrongly) blame Half-Life for was inflicted by Call of Duty, and there are some really good games between 1998 and 2003 which demonstrate Half-Life's positive effects.

- Heretic is far better than both Hexen and Hexen 2.

On this topic, I liked Heretic 2 quite a lot. I don't know if that's unpopular or not because nobody ever talks about Heretic 2, but still.

Thief 2 is not that great. Compared o modern games it's genius, but compared to the first game it's a letdown. The biggest problem is the samey-ness of the levels due to the fact that all of them take place in a city-like environment and the enemies you face are the same. In the T1 you had more variety present, both in locales and enemies. I didn't like the robots in 2. I thought they looked and sounded retarded. And speaking of which the villain just plain sucks. I mean in the first game you're battling the devil himself but here your opponent is some autistic incel with a lisp. Sorry, I meant lithp. What the fuck were they thinking?

Basically agree with this. I think there are some levels in Thief 2 that excel anything in The Dark Project in terms of level design (Life of the Party, the Police Station and that level where you have to go to Garrett's house at night spring to mind) but the atmosphere of the first game - one of the most appealing things about Thief for me - is almost totally lost. Simply cannot make myself care about the Mechanists or their shitty glowing-weak-spot robots.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
- The Hitman series is terribly overrated (though Blood Money and the two latest titles are great).
What a stupid fucking statement. Blood Money and the last two titles is what 99% of people praise so dearly. Nearly everyone admits that the original trilogy was uneven.

Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines is overrated edgecore crap. Maybe 20% of the game is enjoyable and the rest is total garbage. I'm convinced that people who claim to like it only do it ironically.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Thread for stating your unpopular gaming opinions, and then having everyone else absolutely savage you over them.

The blackjack ruins Thief. The guards are so stupid that running around the map KOing everyone is a trivially easy task, and players who rely on the blackjack miss out on the best elements of the game. I don't really know how they could have improved on this

In Thief 2, on the hardest difficulty, there are missions where you cannot knock anyone out, like the police station. Perhaps the game should have had something like a tranquilizer arrow which would be a finite resource, rather than the blackjack.

You know what I find best about this particular "unpopular opinion"?

No one is forcing anyone to use the blackjack. If you think the blackjack is ruining the game, then don't use it. That's how they "improved on this", they left it in the hands of the player to decide whether it's used or not.

If the player is then still standing there bitching about the blackjack, then the problem is with the player and not the game.

Lemming42

Arcane
You know what I find best about this particular "unpopular opinion"?

No one is forcing anyone to use the blackjack. If you think the blackjack is ruining the game, then don't use it. That's how they "improved on this", they left it in the hands of the player to decide whether it's used or not.

If the player is then still standing there bitching about the blackjack, then the problem is with the player and not the game.

If the devs put it in the game and told you how to use it, it's there to be used. You can't expect people to do your LARP run where Garrett never uses a core game mechanic. The player shouldn't have to actively decide to limit their own options to improve the game.

Might as well say the same thing about the overpowered knockouts in Dishonored - yes, the game is more fun if you decide never to use them, but it's not your job to adjust the game's difficulty by ignoring things the designers wanted you to use.

Starwars

Arcane
-While varying in quality, the kickstarter/indie "boom" of RPGs has been great overall and defintely incline.

-The KOTORs is some of the worst garbage the genre has seen.

-Skyrim is a really fun game.

-MCA should not write for Fallout.

-Tides of Numenera is a good game

-Broken Age was good (never got around to playing the second part though)

-The biggest decline related to RPGs has been in the Codex.

I don't think I'm very good at this.

Last edited:

Nuclear Explosion

Baldur's Gate is :decline:, a boring and sub-par successor to the much more imaginative and fun 1990s era AD&D CRPGs.

Dark Sun is Baldur's Gate done right, and should replace the spot BG takes in every "best RPG" list ever.
If Baldur's Gate is higher than Dark Sun: Shattered Lands, the list is trash.
The problem with Shattered Lands is that, aside from the final fight, its combat is extremely easy, whereas BG1's combat -- albeit it takes a while to get going -- is significantly above average for a cRPG.

Zibniyat

Arcane
Games with too frequent respawning of enemies, where either the enemies respawn upon player character's "revival" or respawn within hours or even minutes of playing the game, are all idiotic and disgusting games. These include Dark Souls (activating bonfires will respawn almost all enemies, regardless if the player character died) and Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen (enemies respawn sometimes within couple dozens of minutes of clearing the area). I don't know if Japanese developers, who seem to have a fetish for inexplicably high frequency of respawning hordes of enemies, have some sort of mental illness that makes them think this is somehow good, or logical, or coherent design, nor do I care. All such games are garbage meant for autistic kids with too much wasted time on their hands.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Fallout 1/2, while good games content wise are in no way remarkable in gameplay. It's systems are a broken mess that can be easly exploitable and getting overpowered is pretty easy. Also turn based tactical combat with only 1 PC is pretty stupid and very boring.
Have you played Underrail?

No.
It doesn't have the problems I mentioned?

Wrong.
Thief 2 is better than Thief 1. The systems, controls and AI are more polished. The levels are far better designed, complex and fun to play - not a single mission in T2 is anything short of good or that ever becomes unfun (the same can't be said for T1). Doubling down on the fantasy elements and give more prominence to the steampunk was a good choice. The story might have suffered from that, but who cares about that storyfaggotry when it gave more stealth focused challenges like cameras, alarms, turrets, eletrical systems, metal surfaces, etc.
In fact that's a good way to understand why T2>T1. T2 is the entry that's fully committed on stealth and how to perfect it. While T1 sometimes forgets that it's supposed to be a stealth game, because the game was originally supposed to be an action game, but only in the last development months is that the dev team decided to switch the focus to evasion and stealth

Last edited:

Adon

Arcane
Metroid Prime is boring, and slow and any comparisons of it being a 3D Super Metroid are flat out wrong. I get the appeal of the game, but any appeal that the 2D games have just isn't there. To put it best, Metroid Prime is an interpretation of a Metroid game, not a translation.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
If the devs put it in the game and told you how to use it, it's there to be used. You can't expect people to do your LARP run where Garrett never uses a core game mechanic. The player shouldn't have to actively decide to limit their own options to improve the game.

Might as well say the same thing about the overpowered knockouts in Dishonored - yes, the game is more fun if you decide never to use them, but it's not your job to adjust the game's difficulty by ignoring things the designers wanted you to use.

Says who? It's a game - in the end it's the player who decides what is allowed and what is not. Games that allow for options (especially player-created options) are the games that tend to stand out and be remembered.

The problem is that most games are made by narrow-minded people who refuse to give players the right to choose anything, so players eventually grow to become narrow-minded themselves. I'm truly sorry to see that's what's become of you.

While we're at it, explain the Armageddon spell in the Ultima games. The devs put it in the game and told you how to use it, therefore it's there to be used. But what happens if you do?

Lemming42

Arcane
Says who? It's a game - in the end it's the player who decides what is allowed and what is not. Games that allow for options (especially player-created options) are the games that tend to stand out and be remembered.

The problem is that most games are made by narrow-minded people who refuse to give players the right to choose anything, so players eventually grow to become narrow-minded themselves. I'm truly sorry to see that's what's become of you.

"Allowing for options" is different from putting in a silly mechanic and then leaving it to players to restrict themselves from using it. It's the developer's job to give you a fully tuned game, not a toolkit for you to pick which mechanics you like and ignore the rest. I've ghosted The Dark Project and I loved it, but you can't get mad at people for criticising a game for things that are in the game, nor can you get mad at people for not using your LARP mode where you pretend the weak aspects of the game just magically don't exist.

Where are the limits on your "just ignore it" logic? Is it wrong to complain that Oblivion has terrible quests because the player doesn't have to participate if they don't want to, and can just go hiking instead? Can we not complain that Call of Duty is too easy, because the player can just choose to never use weapons and melee every enemy instead?

While we're at it, explain the Armageddon spell in the Ultima games. The devs put it in the game and told you how to use it, therefore it's there to be used. But what happens if you do?

What's the comparison to the blackjack?

Egosphere

Arcane
Wrong.
Thief 2 is better than Thief 1. The systems, controls and AI are more polished. The levels are far better designed, complex and fun to play - not a single mission in T2 is anything short of good or that ever becomes unfun (the same can't be said for T1).

The cathedral (eavesdropping), the second mansion mission (masks) and soulforge can all become unfun. I'd say the 2nd half of Trail of Blood can become a bit of a slog as well. There's also less variety in Thief 2's enemies. You're introduced to the metal beasts early - one outside the cathedral, a shitload of them in the bank - and that's basically the enemy you'll encounter right up to the very end. T1 had a couple of tricks up its sleeve with the Hammerhaunts and then the full pagan bestiary coming out of the woodwork in the last few missions.

Edit: T2 had the masked mechanists near the end, but that's just a regular mechanist with a mask..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom