Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter ATOM RPG - Wasteland Soviet style! - now with Dead City update

Will you back?

• I will consider it!

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • No! I would never!..

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 23 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

covr

Prophet
Patron
Regarding base game vs expansion lvl difference. Got an idea: the very first encounter should be some a pretty strong group of thugs that kidnap you, or sth. So you and a group of other guys are being taken as the hostages, lets say in a theater, and before ATOM came with a rescue (and a quick death for most of thugs and hostages) there is a dialogue with a thug boss. He checks every hostage whether is he/she worth some fine ransom. When it comes to a player, there is a lvl check - if lvl < 14 - nothing happens, boss says you're nobody. Lvl between 15 and 18 - you are still nobody, but might be worth something so to be sure you do not escape, he orders to e.g. cut your 2 fingers (permanent dex -1, all guns skills -40, etc). His decision depends on the player skills and profile. If player lvl 20 to 22 he can order to torture a player and inflict some serious and (almost?) incurable wounds.

Efe

Erudite
what you're suggesting is the worst idea in this thread so far.
even this is better :
start the expansion with explosive diarrhea and have major temporary debuffs that scales with your level.
to get cured you need to reach a specific doctor, find fabled toilet paper and stuff it up your ass or use the magnet machine to stabilize your bowels

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
New bug. I smoked the pig. Left warning note. But the game thinks I didn't? Never happened before.
Even reloaded to make sure.

This is the amulet you found if you blow up that statue at the cultist place.
cq2WNSX.jpg

Due to the lower than 5 INT requirement, it's perfect for Fidel after he gets reset by the water of Oblivion.
Also - why is my initiative so high?

hUBkSRn.jpg

Last edited:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Just saw the Supporter pack in Popular and Trending. It's now in my cart.

Atomboy if you don't mind me asking, how well has ATOM sold?

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Finally found out the Nuke Console with three targets, after using google Map found the locations to be:

nBNnB7g.jpg

A) Nowhere place north of Sand Diego near Cleveland Forest :lol: and Swan Lake dunno why chose unless reference to our Cleave did not looked for military sites near cause don't want to spend next three years in Jail.

B) Its some Research Center in Malaysia juicy target to hit for sure but would prefer to strike onto Kwa or Disunited Malikate

C) Bethesda in Wales, easter egg I am sure.

Which One should Commissar strike from the map to redeem the honor of soldiers betrayed by their coward and treacherous commander and for the Glory or Soviet Motherland?

CI0ITcq.jpg

The Kikimora suit and NKVD Knife are cool thanks for adding so much to already awesome game Comrades. :salute:

RK47

Patron
The +50 stealth suit lets you steal stuff in plain sight.
I cracked the Otradnoye safe for easy 2500 ruble.

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
New bug. I smoked the pig. Left warning note. But the game thinks I didn't? Never happened before.
Even reloaded to make sure.

This is the amulet you found if you blow up that statue at the cultist place.
cq2WNSX.jpg

Due to the lower than 5 INT requirement, it's perfect for Fidel after he gets reset by the water of Oblivion.
Also - why is my initiative so high?

hUBkSRn.jpg
Weird stuff, man. We got this report from 3 players now. Most people on the team tested this, and we get everything in perfect working order. Can you mail a save to support@atomrpg.com ? We just can't replicate this bug no matter how we try. It's a stealthy bastard.

Just saw the Supporter pack in Popular and Trending. It's now in my cart.

Atomboy if you don't mind me asking, how well has ATOM sold?
Really? In trending? That's a step forward for sure! Pretty damn surprising. As for the sales, we get equal shares and some of the guys are pretty paranoid about numbers for odd reasons, so I can't tell my salary without disclosing others', so like always, I'll present you with a convoluted formula.

Atom's Lifetime Sales number right now is X.
Money we spend on outsource, English editor, animations, models, software, taxes, more taxes, some more taxes, a bit more taxes, still more taxes, Latvian taxes, Steam taxes, GOG taxes, going to a few local game shows, etc is Y.

((X - Y) \ 12 people in team) \ 12 months of 2019 = one monthly salary of a team member that was accepted in the beginning of the year. If we'll get extra money, we'll pour it into the Trudograd graphics, models and shit. According to Latvian standards of life (cuz I know not of any others) it's much more than a teacher or a bus driver makes, but much less than I made as a top sales manager in a huge corporation which I quit to make Atom. It's a decent, middle of the road kind of living which will last us for around 8 to 10 months (was 5 to 6 before) which is the absolute deadline for Trudograd, unless we wanna go hobo like in the first year of development! And the thing is I'm pretty good at predicting things, and I thought we'd get 3 times less than we got in the end. That's why I revere our players so much and spend so much time talking to folks, not only did these guys subsidize our dream game, they even gave us a year of okay life for it! For as long as we survive, that's gonna be our prime principle. Hope that answers your question!

Finally found out the Nuke Console with three targets, after using google Map found the locations to be:

nBNnB7g.jpg

A) Nowhere place north of Sand Diego near Cleveland Forest :lol: and Swan Lake dunno why chose unless reference to our Cleave did not looked for military sites near cause don't want to spend next three years in Jail.

B) Its some Research Center in Malaysia juicy target to hit for sure but would prefer to strike onto Kwa or Disunited Malikate

C) Bethesda in Wales, easter egg I am sure.

Which One should Commissar strike from the map to redeem the honor of soldiers betrayed by their coward and treacherous commander and for the Glory or Soviet Motherland?

CI0ITcq.jpg

The Kikimora suit and NKVD Knife are cool thanks for adding so much to already awesome game Comrades. :salute:

First one's supposed to be the location of The Glow, but the fact it's also Cleve's forest warms my heart! I never knew that :D Hope the suit isn't too much of a game breaking Easy Mode inducing wunderwaffle.

The +50 stealth suit lets you steal stuff in plain sight.
I cracked the Otradnoye safe for easy 2500 ruble.
Well, that's what I get for playing video games while the suit was made and not making it +10 to stealth like I wanted :/ Too late to do anything with it now!

RK47

Patron
I cracked that safe too but couldn't loot it without triggering combat.
Very strange. Same thing with the Krasno ship gang's storage.
Gun store owner didn't really notice me looting his lockers tho.
Maybe needs more points into sneaking.

I think after 20+ runs I gotta ask the dev this question again:

Do you guys think having 0 defensive skill in this game is OK?
I understand following Fallout 1 & 2 skill sets but I feel having access to ZERO defense but SIX weapon skills is a strange decision to make when designing the game.
I don't think you should lock all the defensive options behind abilities unlock (perks) but that seems to be the case in this game.

Here is what's locked behind your ability progression:
- Additional Dodge
- Shield use
- Damage Resistance
- Knockdown Resistance
- Even more HP

Compare to the weapon users who get to hit near 100+ skill value at level 3. That's a big difference.

flushfire

Augur
It doesn't help that in some harder encounters you're expected to tank multiple hits. It wasn't that much of an issue in Fallout because of how fine-tuned the armors were and the number of ways they were acquired. The soft-scaling in ATOM and somewhat lack of hand placed loot is frustrating in this regard.
I thought we'd get 3 times less than we got in the end.
You guys deserve more, enough to make another game as big as this one at least!

Last edited:

Cromwell

Arcane
not only did these guys subsidize our dream game, they even gave us a year of okay life for it!

I ould also subsidize cheap latvian whores for you if I get more of your stuff. Please make me a sword and sorcery game

I understand following Fallout 1 & 2 skill sets but I feel having access to ZERO defense but SIX weapon skills is a strange decision to make when designing the game.
I don't think you should lock all the defensive options behind abilities unlock (perks) but that seems to be the case in this game.

- Additional Dodge
- Shield use
- Damage Resistance
- Knockdown Resistance
- Even more HP

Compare to the weapon users who get to hit near 100+ skill value at level 3. That's a big difference.

Second that. Combat feels like standing there and shooting back but I am not really able to do anythign tactical to avoid damage. Theres also the usual damage spread, for example I can hit someone in the eye for about 40 damage, I can also one shot him with a 340 crit. If damage is the roll of a die weaponskill doesnt feel like giving me better die but just reducing the chance of me breaking my arm while trying to roll it. skills to make less but more reliable damage would be great.

In general I would like future games less save scum encouraging.

Codex Year of the Donut
This looks cool as hell men. I will be following this closely for NMA. Keep up the good work.

I am really loving that dog companion.
We love him too! Especially when you put all the silly hats, bells and whistles on him! I'll maybe even give him a Companion Quest before we're done.
when will we get tactical cats?
a tiger is fine too
where is my tactical cat
I'm still waiting patiently for the tactical cat

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This looks cool as hell men. I will be following this closely for NMA. Keep up the good work.

We love him too! Especially when you put all the silly hats, bells and whistles on him! I'll maybe even give him a Companion Quest before we're done.
a tiger is fine too
where is my tactical cat
It's employing tactical stealth.

Black Angel

Arcane

a tiger is fine too
where is my tactical cat
It's employing tactical stealth.
Nah, it's employing tactical purr.

flushfire

Augur
New knife is meh, no reason to use it while the Quality Knuckleduster exists, although this is true for all melee and martial weapons except the top 2 of each.

Stealth suit on the other hand is OP, 50 points is 3 levels worth of investment.

Mikeal

Arcane
Fidel you know that eavesdropping is sign of bad behavior?

eHwTMsL.jpg

Oh you cheeky motherfuckers. :troll:

UGtaAGg.jpg

EDIT

How do I start paper quest for Fedora Journalist? During my first playtrough I just talked to him and get quest easy. Now I've tried every dialog line and nothing happens.

Last edited:

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
According to Latvian standards of life (cuz I know not of any others) it's much more than a teacher or a bus driver makes, but much less than I made as a top sales manager in a huge corporation which I quit to make Atom.
We have Latvian VD here!:salute:
What's a VD? :( I'm terrible with abbreviations.

Fidel you know that eavesdropping is sign of bad behavior?

eHwTMsL.jpg

Oh you cheeky motherfuckers. :troll:

UGtaAGg.jpg

EDIT

How do I start paper quest for Fedora Journalist? During my first playtrough I just talked to him and get quest easy. Now I've tried every dialog line and nothing happens.

There is actually a quest, it's just invisible and doesn't show in the journal, since then some would say Atom has MMO level boring "gather 20 of X" fetch quests! After talking to him about getting paper for him you can gather the paper and he will take it as if it was a quest and grant you a reward and stuff as if it was a quest, but it's not a quest though! But you took it.

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
I cracked that safe too but couldn't loot it without triggering combat.
Very strange. Same thing with the Krasno ship gang's storage.
Gun store owner didn't really notice me looting his lockers tho.
Maybe needs more points into sneaking.

I think after 20+ runs I gotta ask the dev this question again:

- Additional Dodge
- Shield use
- Damage Resistance
- Knockdown Resistance
- Even more HP

not only did these guys subsidize our dream game, they even gave us a year of okay life for it!

I ould also subsidize cheap latvian whores for you if I get more of your stuff. Please make me a sword and sorcery game

- Additional Dodge
- Shield use
- Damage Resistance
- Knockdown Resistance
- Even more HP

Second that. Combat feels like standing there and shooting back but I am not really able to do anythign tactical to avoid damage. Theres also the usual damage spread, for example I can hit someone in the eye for about 40 damage, I can also one shot him with a 340 crit. If damage is the roll of a die weaponskill doesnt feel like giving me better die but just reducing the chance of me breaking my arm while trying to roll it. skills to make less but more reliable damage would be great.

In general I would like future games less save scum encouraging.
Well that's what we get for trying to reproduce Fallout's system. Our def mostly comes from not using all AP and wearing good armor, and from HP if we can even count that, well and perks like you mentioned. The idea of making shadowrun-esque combat with cover was always floating there, as was an idea of a def skill and critical skill, some moves were even made in that direction, but it just didn't look natural. The primitive combat like in fallout with rudimentary cover (like, using half of your AP to shoot and half to walk behind a tree) looked the best. However, I can sure promise that in future installments, we will try to make dodge less useless and rewrite def and dam formulas.

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Atomboy
Why is the car so slow sometimes, while other times it's fast as fuck?
Is it a bug?
That's really weird, I'll report that right now.

We have Latvian VD here!:salute:
What's a VD? :( I'm terrible with abbreviations.

VD = Vince D. Weller, aka Vault Dweller, founder of Iron Tower, creator of Age of Decadence. He is remarkably open about his game's financials.
Oh lol, see what I mean by being bad with abbreviations? I thought VD was "videogame developer" of all things :D Many of us are huge fanboys of Iron Tower, and I'm a veteran lurker of their forums, where Vince answered in almost all threads. We were super excited when we got lucky enough to get our English editor from AOD. By the way, your post's actually quite the coincidence, since I've been looking for a reason to say something about AOD for a week now. Started my second serious playthrough recently. Boy oh boy, what a game. Sure, I'd make every single NPC have a pointless 5 page long dialogue if I made it, but everything else is just... sublime! Rarely do I find a game that I play over and over again. The combat, the difficulty, the setting! Especially the setting. Very unique and inspiring. I wasn't so in love with a twist ever since
I found blaster rifles in the Mandate of Heaven.
I'll do my best not to steal bits from it if we ever get to a gunless sword-and-(maybe, somewhat, not really) sorcery game.

RK47

Patron
Something annoying just popped up.
This NPC refused to move away from the only path out of Peregon's small houses.

vRZtjwQ.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom