Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Smaug and Lilura argue about Baldur's Gate, RTwP vs TB, etc

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
smaug the overwhelming consensus here is that turnbased is better, but no one wants to give you moral support because you have no basis for any of your sweeping pronouncements. You’ve played what, five CRPGs? Maybe one of them to completion? No one who disagrees with you wants to give your arguments the time of day for the same reason. What’s the point of arguing with someone whose experience of the genre is as shallow as a puddle?

When people tell you to go play Fallout, they’re not fucking with you—that’s the absolute bare minimum before they’ll consider taking you seriously. It’s arguably the best CRPG ever made, and in many ways the most important. You won’t understand many of the things these games should be aiming for until you play Fallout or Arcanum, which was made by the same guys along the same principles, but with a smaller team, so it’s a lot more janky. Hell, have you played any of the Troika games? Go play Temple of Elemental Evil if you want the best implementation of turn based D&D combat.

It’s not your fault that you have minimal experience of CRPGs, but don’t you know how the internet works? Even the idiots on this forum have a knowledge base. Coming in here like Moses descending from Mount Sinai, ready to dispense wisdom because you’ve got a hundred whole hours in Kingmaker and you’re playing Pool of Radiance for the first time... I mean, what reaction did you expect?

“I adhere to blobbers and dungeon crawlers,” he says. My dude, have you ever played a blobber or a dungeon crawl to completion? Can you see why that might be funny? It’s like someone who’s only seen three movies having very strong opinions about the best film ever made.

I can’t tell you if you’re just trying to parody Mondblut or you’re taking the Mondblutian party line in the hope of racking up brofists, but either way you might want to rethink your approach.
Fallout and Arcanum have nothing to do with a Gold box vs Baldur’s Gate combat.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Fallout is strongest (From what I’ve read is)

-CnC
-Setting
-Story
-Stat based system (Not party based)

None of these are what I’m looking for in an RPG right now.
This is also correlates with my statement about how I prefer IWD (over BG) because it’s a DUNGEON CRAWLER.

Kyl Von Kull I know you have a hard time
Processing that people play RPGs for different reasons.

norolim

Arcane
smaug no one wants to give you moral support because you have no basis for any of your sweeping pronouncements.

I was actually honestly trying to help, until I read this:

Plus, I got a bit frustrated that people write off the Gold Box games as being shit. But, modern gaymers love dismissing stuff from the past. I’ve learned that the hard way especially today.

As someone who respects history, and loves to expierence it. Makes me sad.
:negative:

No one sane comes to the Codex and after half a year decides, that the Codex is a bunch of "gaymers that love dismissing stuff from the past". This statement is just nonsense. So, I decided the account must be a troll alt, and I'm not really helping anyone.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
smaug no one wants to give you moral support because you have no basis for any of your sweeping pronouncements.

I was actually honestly trying to help, until I read this:

Plus, I got a bit frustrated that people write off the Gold Box games as being shit. But, modern gaymers love dismissing stuff from the past. I’ve learned that the hard way especially today.

As someone who respects history, and loves to expierence it. Makes me sad.
:negative:

No one sane comes to the Codex and after half a year decides, that the Codex is a bunch of "gaymers that love dismissing stuff from the past". This is statement is just nonsense. So, I decided the account must be a troll alt, and I'm not really helping anyone.
Because people called Gold Box shit? And it was obvious a joke pointed at those who specifically said as such.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
“I adhere to blobbers and dungeon crawlers,” he says. My dude, have you ever played a blobber or a dungeon crawl to completion? Can you see why that might be funny? It’s like someone who’s only seen three movies having very strong opinions about the best film ever made.

Talking of adhering to crawlers but having only played 3 hours of smallpox and not having played any wiz or related, which are the single darwinian survivors of the genre, along with the RT blobbers, can't be considered serious adherance to anything besides hunting for codex KKK indeed.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Kyl Von Kull thats not what I was arguing.
The whole debate was about Baldur’s Gate’s Combat vs Gold Box, Fallout has literally nothing to do with each side.

As soon as I brought this up people got triggered and Lilura brought up Fallout and Arcanum for some reason.

No one is going to engage you in any debate because you’ve barely played any CRPGs, which means you’re reduced to parroting other people’s opinions. Who wants to argue with a parrot? If you want to pull that off, you need to put a lot more points into bullshitting.

Everyone who’s telling you to go play X or Y is giving you helpful advice.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here

Talking of adhering to crawlers but having only played 3 hours of smallpox and not having played any wiz or related, which are the single darwinian survivors of the genre, along with the RT blobbers, can't be considered serious adherance to anything besides hunting for codex KKK indeed.
I played Wizardry. And an extensive amount of Bard’s Tale.

Last edited:

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Kyl Von Kull thats not what I was arguing.
The whole debate was about Baldur’s Gate’s Combat vs Gold Box, Fallout has literally nothing to do with each side.

As soon as I brought this up people got triggered and Lilura brought up Fallout and Arcanum for some reason.

No one is going to engage you in any debate because you’ve barely played any CRPGs, which means you’re reduced to parroting other people’s opinions. Who wants to argue with a parrot? If you want to pull that off, you need to put a lot more points into bullshitting.

Everyone who’s telling you to go play X or Y is giving you helpful advice.
I don’t need to have played extensive amounts of RPGs to talk about 2 games, that I’ve played 1 fully to completion. I haven’t finished Champions of Krynn but I’m far (To prefer it’s engine) enough to absolutely argue it’s engine vs Baldur’s Gate.

You keep bringing up expierence that isn’t relevant.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
Add another sleight onto the good name of Baldurs Gate and I shall come to your house in full Minsc cosplay and shove a hamster up your ass in front of your mother

Mustawd

This thread wouldn't have 174 pages with no actual news other than a trailer announcement if a lot of people here didn't really like the combat. Good art direction and passable fantasy writing certainly aren't enough to warrant such attention.

Fallout is beloved and has mediocre combat. I think you’re giving people too much credit.

Also, the real reason people loved the Bg series is due to:

1.) Nostalgia as it was their first rpg
2.) They can pretend to have friends with the companions and party banter. In contrast to Fallout fans who just kill everyone they feel like.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Quick Question.

How many BG fans have played a Gold
Box game?

I've played them all, and finished all but the second Buck Rogers game.
The combat in the IE games is superior, because of much more variation and options, much more spells and items, and much better AI.

But that doesn't mean RTwP is better than TB. It means the RTwP of the IE games on the average is better than the TB combat of the GB games.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Quick Question.

How many BG fans have played a Gold
Box game?

I've played them all, and finished all but the second Buck Rogers game.
The combat in the IE games is superior, because of much more variation and options, much more spells and items, and much better AI.

But that doesn't mean RTwP is better than TB. It means the RTwP of the IE games on the average is better than the TB combat of the GB games.
I respect you octavius and I can get behind that. I still dislike RTWP though.:salute:

Saduj

Arcane
Why is it that reading what Codexers have to say about their blogs is more entertaining than reading their blogs?

:philosoraptor:

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
2.) They can pretend to have friends with the companions and party banter. In contrast to Fallout fans who just kill everyone they feel like.

This is contained to BG2. BG1 NPCs were silent with a few exceptions here and there, most contained when you had clashing alignment type of party.

Fallout is beloved and has mediocre combat. I think you’re giving people too much credit.
Everyone recognizes that Fallout's combat is weak, but like Arcanum this is a strong case of the game doing so many other things really well in a way that few do that a lot of us are willing to look past this. The BGs don't really benefit from that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom