Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Deus Ex 3 will be faster and more memorable

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Deus Ex: Human Revolution; Eidos Montreal

... or so it has been implied with <a href="http://www.edge-online.com/news/deus-ex-was-%E2%80%9Ckinda-slow%E2%80%9D-says-deus-ex-3-dev">Deus Ex 3 lead game designer Jean-Francois Dugas saying</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>In an interview with Edge magazine, published tomorrow, Dugas says the original Deus Ex was “kind of slow”. He added, “There weren’t enough exciting, memorable moments. It was aimed more towards a simulation rather than a game experience.”
<br>

<br>
But he said developer Eidos Montreal would not attempt to dumb down the much-loved RPG-shooter franchise. “At this point we don’t know exactly which platforms we’re going to be out on. The PC, we’ll be there for sure. But for us, console-isation isn’t about dumbing down features. If we’re to go console we will want to keep the complexity alive. We want the menu interface and controller to feel simple without risking any of their potential"</blockquote>
<br>
... and if you haven't already <a href="http://tlundmark.blogspot.com/2008/10/pc-zone-dues-ex-3-magazine-scans.html">take a look at some magazine scans</a> of PC Zone's article last month which has some screenshots.
<br>

<br>
Thanks <b>Santiago</b> and <b>Wyrmlord</b>!

Chefe

Erudite
Is this the same game where stats determine what kind of ammo you can use?

Also

In an interview with Edge magazine, published tomorrow

He can see the future! :shock:

And

2mg3xjl.jpg

"But I don't wanna be a pirate!"

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
"It was aimed more towards a simulation rather than a game experience.”

Isn't a simulation pretty much a game experience anyways?

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
The Poopster has got nuthin on me so hold your tongue cow or it might just be tossing my salad!

Anyway, I'm a bit disappointed.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Bah , there is not much hope for DX3. The only question is if it's going to be better or worse than DX2...

Xi

Arcane
Wait for them to announce that the RPG features were the "slow" part they were planning on removing. Deus Ex was meant to be an FPS. Dur

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
ghostdog said:
Bah , there is not much hope for DX3. The only question is if it's going to be better or worse than DX2...

They'd have to turn DX3 into an excruciatingly pathetic experience in order to make it sink below such level of mediocrity - but then, everything's possible these days.
Having said that, I'd really like Dugas to elaborate on the "DX was slow and lacking in memorable moments" part further since he's obviously clueless when it comes to these particular aspects of the game.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah, having them give us exemple of what did not work and how it should have been done would be far better than simply throwing declarations of that kind.

Black

Arcane
Deus Ex 3 will be more twitchy and will be forgotten more easily.

Jason

chasing a bee
The full interview is up.
“Choice and consequence are at the heart of what we wanted to create. Obviously, being an action-RPG there’s more than one aspect to the game, but choice and consequence informs all of them. You can play the game entirely through combat or stealth – or a mixture – and supporting roles such as hacking and social skills will be used to open up more possibilities and alternate solutions to problems. So that’s the low-level gameplay, but to an extent that’s the real RPG aspect of the game. We want the players to be able to play the way they want.”

Dialogue has a new system, making use of advancements in character animation to better signpost the reaction NPCs have to the player’s dialogue choices. “You really have to read between the lines of what people are saying,” says Dugas. “The way characters behave, crossing their arms or the way they answer back, will tell you how comfortable they are with you. There are augmentations that’ll help you read the characters better and help you to direct your choices.”
So there's an augmentation that helps you read body language?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Dialogue has a new system, making use of advancements in character animation to better signpost the reaction NPCs have to the player’s dialogue choices. “You really have to read between the lines of what people are saying,” says Dugas. “The way characters behave, crossing their arms or the way they answer back, will tell you how comfortable they are with you. There are augmentations that’ll help you read the characters better and help you to direct your choices.”
And Bloodlines had this YEARS ago...

Fucking retarded press and audience...

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Call me all sorts of names you want, but I have to say this.

I don't want Deus Ex 3 to be a good game.

I want it to be bad and a miserable failure so I can be proven right about it.

Because one way or another, this game will not be Deus Ex. If it turns to be a good game in its own right, then that will weaken the case for wanting the game to be like the first one.

I mean, they have taken Deus Ex, and introduced Victorian clothing and tentacles that shoot out of your back? If I am living in a world where you can do this to Deus Ex and still somehow make a good game out of it, then I'll be damned.

And I also have to say this: Eidos Montreal is a brand new studio. They are untested and unproven. Who are they to declare the work of an older and more established developer with several great games to their credit to be "slow and unexciting"?

ricolikesrice

Arcane
i could give a flying fuck about tentacles shooting out of my back and victorian clothes or how badly they butcher the setting (which wasnt that good to begin with if you take off our rose-colored glasses) ...... as long as this game would provide level design with the quality of deus ex where you have near limitless options on how to complete your mission.

i really doubt that though and expect another interactive movie shooting galerie with a bunch of minigames à la half life 2 or call of duty 4.

Press X on your xbawks controller to shoot tentactles.
To hack the computer guess a word with 6 letters from this list, you have 4 tries.
Dialogue: "I´ll do it" I`ll do it for a price." "I`ll have to think about that"
Plottwist: The guy who gives you quests is your enemy. Also, find the "Jackal".
*Cutscene* Altair..er.. JC Denton, you have to kill this man. Come back to me, when you are done.
And of course the mandatory akimbo machineguns action.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Jean Francois Dugas' gaming credits:

F1 Racing Simulation
Speed Challenge
Far Cry Instincts
Far Cry Instincts Predator
Far Cry Instincts Evolution
Rainbow Six Vegas

So an honest question: Do you guys find it good, OK, unimpressive, or bad?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom