Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If you used Octavia as a buff-bot to begin with, you sucked ass.

Well, perhaps. Or I'm just too lazy to control multiple character and have the "MainChar does 90% of the work" syndrome.
At least after Act 1. In Act 1 I actually did use CC and some party tactics.
I build my main chars so they could generally solo the game. Still enjoy the party aspects (combo feats, aoe intimidation) somewhat... and buff-bot services.

Turn Based mode changes the perspective a bit, as you issue individual commands to everyone and they no longer auto-attack.

On an unrelated note, what's the verdict on the last two DLCs (Varnhold's Lot & Beneath the Stolen Lands) and the "Enhanced Edition" as a whole? I've finally actually finished Wasteland 2: Definite Console, and I've been really wanting to get back to PF:K, but I also don't want to play it without Varnhold's Lot/Beneath the Stolen Lands, for the whole "finished game" deal, but I also can't afford them. I could just pirate them, but then it's going to be a hassle to patch (and I can't even find a recent/patched upload). Might just have to wait until after Summer/towards Christmas.

Should I just bite the bullet and play anyway? It goes against every fiber of my being.

As the DLCs are separate from the main game, I'd say nothing of value is lost.
Unless you NEED a specific feat (Feral Wings?) or item (Lion's Claw falcata?) from Varnhold's Lot.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
I build my main chars so, that they could generally solo the game.
U should play megadungon on Unfair where your perfect high ac + mirror image character would collapse on first pack of strong dudes with 100% Illusion negating mod. Or just eat 8 prismatic sprays per second and ggwp.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
U should play megadungon on Unfair where your perfect high ac + mirror image character would collapse on first pack of strong dudes with 100% Illusion negating mod. Or just eat 8 prismatic sprays per second and ggwp.

Ah, yes, I guess way too few enemies have the ability to negate illusions in Kingmaker. Making these defenses godly. Nice they adressed this issue in the megadungeon.
Still, I have very little desire to play optional side-content with no real goal (other then beating bosses and progressing deeper).
I'd rather play some other game from my insane backlog, then spend my limited time on this challenge.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, if I want a random dungeon extravaganza, I'd play a good roguelike, and I do. The rhythm of play is different in roguelikes, it's not "like an RPG, but random". They also have an end-goal and some of them, like ToME, have a hand-crafted map. Why didn't they make another megadungeon? It's not like they don't know what people like about these games. Copy-pasted rooms with randomly scattered enemies around aren't my idea of a good party-based RPG. Not to mention the logistical problems they had trying to make this DLC work.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Some players do enjoy it tho "no kingdom management anymore, I just kill monsters with my own party in dungon now".
But honestly my idea how it happened was something like:

- What do we make dlc of
- How about... a dungeon. a random generated dungon!
- GREAT IDEA. Will it be easy to code?
- I'm sure it will be ez.

release news!

- Right forgot to ask coders. Hey coders it would be ez to make random levels dungon right?
2 lonely coder ivans with darkened eyes who work overtime while designers write romances: :deathclaw:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Does Varnhold's Lot have kingdom management? Make another one of those if there isn't. Or continue it with another megadungeon that goes up to level 20! I've seen people complain PF:K is too long, so if Varnhold's Lot + this theoretical DLC together go to level 20, there'd be another campaign which wouldn't be so stretched. Well, if the later chapters were good, I doubt anyone would complain it's too long.

Varnhold’s Lot should indeed have been a mega dungeon. The first half before getting to Lostlarn Keep is ridiculous filler garbage (seriously, that City of Hollow Eyes map is a masterclass in how to overstuff a map with nonsensical encounter design). I think everyone would have been much happier if they’d just cut the first half and added another two or three levels to Lostlarn.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Varnhold’s Lot should indeed have been a mega dungeon. The first half before getting to Lostlarn Keep is ridiculous filler garbage (seriously, that City of Hollow Eyes map is a masterclass in how to overstuff a map with nonsensical encounter design). I think everyone would have been much happier if they’d just cut the first half and added another two or three levels to Lostlarn.
I liked the tavern murder mystary and lolrandom encounter with goblins

Codex Year of the Donut
I liked the tavern murder mystary and lolrandom encounter with goblins
The tavern murder mystery is a case study in good quest design

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
So, when should one play Varnhold's Lot? The way I understand it, choices in one affect the other, and vice-versa, or what? Should I just play it prior to starting the main story, full stop, or is there a way to do it to get the most of it?

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The turnbased combat mod makes things easier yes, by making it so you can actually play pathfinder. I've been playing with that installed and the game is much more fun.

Plenty of builds or classes essentially require per-round controls anyway to work. At least this way it's closer to the actual rules or whatever

Shadenuat

Arcane
So, when should one play Varnhold's Lot? The way I understand it, choices in one affect the other, and vice-versa, or what? Should I just play it prior to starting the main story, full stop, or is there a way to do it to get the most of it?
before chapter 4, the Varnhold Vanishing

moleman

Arbiter
Patron
So, when should one play Varnhold's Lot?
Best time to start imho is after chapter 3.
The Vanishing of Varnhold
The way I understand it, choices in one affect the other, and vice-versa, or what?
I don't think this is really true. Your main game character has an appearance in a cut scene. That's all I noticed.
Only effect on the main game is that
you briefly visit a dungeon you explored in the DLC.
Again I did't notice any other effects, like choices you made or something.

Sharpedge

Prophet
I sat back and let my animal companion solo his way through those golem periods, but it was tedious pedantic bs which I can't be bothered to do a second time, so I am partying up for subsequent trips through the Autumn theme park. I guess if you really want to solo you could just play kineticist the entire time and blast your way through them though.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Animal Companions kinda die on Unfair even fully buffed.

Kineticist, I am sure I've seen some dudes immune to pits and trip. I think hydras were immune to being prone and stuff. I would have to check but I am really burned out, and my first Kineticist never reached deadly earth - boss happened earlier.

There is a ton of broken equipment for them however.

Sharpedge

Prophet
Animal Companions kinda die on Unfair even fully buffed.

Kineticist, I am sure I've seen some dudes immune to pits and trip. I think hydras were immune to being prone and stuff. I would have to check but I am really burned out, and my first Kineticist never reached deadly earth - boss happened earlier.

There is a ton of broken equipment for them however.
They do die yes, but not before taking out 1 or 2 and by leaving the caster far enough away to not be in combat it allows the bringing back of the pet several times hence, "tedious pedantic bs." You can get a draconic doggo with trip and 70ish ac though, who is nasty enough fully buffed. The main threat to his existence from the golems is still rolling poorly against prismatic spray :/

Shadenuat

Arcane
I would probably put standard at 75 AC now. I think I've seen +55 ab mobs.

Draconic doggo. I should try dis.

The main threat to his existence from the golems is still rolling poorly against prismatic spray :/
Midnight struck, and dragon dogi turned back to just a dogi.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Tbh I'd rather they had focused on fixing performance issues than have their programmers make a roguelike dlc.
Ivan: "Boris, this code looks like spaghetti pasta, I have no idea where it starts and where it ends.
Boris: "No problem, it is working Ivan, it is a little slow here and there but you can't make an omelette without breaking the eggs right? Make a roguelike dungeon and call it a day, right?
Ivan: "I never did a roguelike game Boris."
Boris: "There is a first time for everything Ivan. I trust on you my good friend."
Ivan: "What you mean by trusting on me? Where are the other people?"
Boris: "They had a nervous breakdown trying to fixing the bugs, they just took too much vodka and were seeing bugs everywhere, they tried fixing bugs that weren't there and just more bugs shown up as they broke stuff but do not worry, by the time you are finished, they would be probably discharged by the Hospital. So, everything will be fine,okay?

Jeru

Novice
Literally created account for this:

- Any official / semi-official info when Final/Complete/"we're stopping working on Pathfinder1 in order to put all manpower to make Pathfinder2" edition of PK is coming out?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom