Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I think it's understandable that people might have different expectations for a game where you play a more blank-slate character than Geralt.

It's interesting that CD Projekt are kind of stepping away from the blank-slateness by putting Johnny Silverhand in your character's head. You're not just some guy now, you're the vessel for an Iconic Lore Celebrity(tm). It's a writing approach they're more familiar with.
The character isn't such a blank slate. It's fully voiced, it's named, it has one of 3 back stories that feature extensively during the game, and as you say, has reeves voicing off his/her decisions during gameplay.

Cyberpunk isn't much of a departure from cdprojekts confort zone. The world might be bigger, the view point might be different, but it's still a cinematic rpg.

Efe

Erudite
but is it cinematic like movies you watch and forget next week, like marvel stuff, or more like movies that stay with your forever.. uhh.. like... shaun of the dead?

Did you seriously expect them to adapt the P&P game 100% faithfully?

kh6N6by.jpg

Obviously, it'd be fucking amazing if they pulled all of this, but I don't think any game adapted from a PnP game has had much depth to character creation as the game originally allowed. Far too many variables to account for.

There was more from last year.

latest

This year at E3 they were talking about backgrounds (corporate, street kid, and nomad) that can change your interactions with NPCs.

meatface

Novice
I can't understand why people expect a game to do everything - to have completely freeform party creation, to be as involved as possible, have great mechanics and combat, allow great freedom of choice, but also, at the same time have amazingly written characters, an amazing, greatly detailed world and all that. There is nothing wrong with playing and enjoying Witcher 3 for the things it does well and loving it and enjoying some number cruncher for what it does well on its own terms. The perfect game does not exist, it never did and it never will.

The only problem with this perfectly reasonable perspective is that it lets people like me get away with saying things like "Dragon Ball Z was good for what it was."

Curratum

I can't understand why people expect a game to do everything - to have completely freeform party creation, to be as involved as possible, have great mechanics and combat, allow great freedom of choice, but also, at the same time have amazingly written characters, an amazing, greatly detailed world and all that. There is nothing wrong with playing and enjoying Witcher 3 for the things it does well and loving it and enjoying some number cruncher for what it does well on its own terms. The perfect game does not exist, it never did and it never will.

The only problem with this perfectly reasonable perspective is that it lets people like me get away with saying things like "Dragon Ball Z was good for what it was."

I do that all the time and it's still a valid statement. See - Bard's Tale 4 was good for what it was! :D I don't see why people shouldn't be able to see the issues in a game and still end up with a positive overall experience.

duke nukem

Augur
The character isn't such a blank slate. It's fully voiced, it's named, it has one of 3 back stories that feature extensively during the game, and as you say, has reeves voicing off his/her decisions during gameplay.

Cyberpunk isn't much of a departure from cdprojekts confort zone. The world might be bigger, the view point might be different, but it's still a cinematic rpg.
And its a bad thing considering how shit the dialog of the main character has been in the trailer and in the last year`s gameplay demo. Mass effect did good job on giving us good dialog lines for main character, but also yet kept the main character blank enough so everyone could roleplay it whatever way they wanted.
V dialog lines sounds like ghetto thug written by teenager, not exactly a character im really interested in to play or can relate in anyway.

Also in Witcher 3 they already had all the character personalities written for them from the books and most of the quests were just classic fairy tales from different mythologies. Only good original quest that they made was baron quest and writer of that quest left after w3. So now in cyberpunk 2077 they dont have any good sources for the quests or the characters and their best writer is gone.

So yeah, i think this game has about 20% chance of being good game, 10% of being ok and 70% chance of being shit.:(

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

And its a bad thing considering how shit the dialog of the main character has been in the trailer and in the last year`s gameplay demo. Mass effect did good job on giving us good dialog lines for main character, but also yet kept the main character blank enough so everyone could roleplay it whatever way they wanted.
V dialog lines sounds like ghetto thug written by teenager, not exactly a character im really interested in to play or can relate in anyway.

Also in Witcher 3 they already had all the character personalities written for them from the books and most of the quests were just classic fairy tales from different mythologies. Only good original quest that they made was baron quest and writer of that quest left after w3. So now in cyberpunk 2077 they dont have any good sources for the quests or the characters and their best writer is gone.

So yeah, i think this game has about 20% chance of being good game, 10% of being ok and 70% chance of being shit.:(

Once the baron quest was over Witcher 3 was over.

Wunderbar

Arcane

hearts of stone though

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Speaking of Witcher 3, I've renewed my Second Big Witcher 3 Playthrough. I had stopped it last year, went out of steam for a while after finishing the main game and going halfway through Heart of Stone. Now I'm just entering the von Evrec mansion area, and can't wait to reach the theme park that is Blood and Wine. This time I'm playing modded, the first playthrough was vanilla.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Fuck, I'm attempting for the second time to play through twitcher 3.
First time was at release, and I stopped pretty much where you say, slowly after reaching Novigrad.

Any advice to follow through ? I really liked the plot of the first two games and I'm mildly interested in knowing what's gonna happen to Ciri and why. My knowledge of the lore doesn't go beyond the first two games, so I don't really see a clear direction to the story yet.
Also, it feels like this plot is much less connected to the schemes and plotting of Radovid, Nilfgaard etc. That was my favourite aspect of the previous game, does the story get back to the fate of the region at some point ? I like ghosts and shit but I want to know if Geralt gets a say in the fate of Temeria (again).

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Any advice to follow through ?
Also, it feels like this plot is much less connected to the schemes and plotting of Radovid, Nilfgaard etc. That was my favourite aspect of the previous game, does the story get back to the fate of the region at some point ? I like ghosts and shit but I want to know if Geralt gets a say in the fate of Temeria (again).

That's actually a big deal in TW3. Without spoiling much - yes. You'll pretty much single-handedly decide the fate of all the Northern Kingdoms. This whole quest line is entirely optional but it was one of the best things about TW3 for me.

Also, my advice - don't play vanilla, mod the shit out of the game. Ghost Mode for a perfected vanilla experience, Enhanced Edition for a complete overhaul. I did Ghost Mode a few months ago, loved it. Throw in a couple of must have QoL mods (autoloot, insta-summon Roach, auto-apply oil, Roach never stops, quest objectives on the map, a reshade mod to tone down the nuclear-blast colour palette in Velen) so that various little things don't drive you crazy in those 150+ hours that you'll sink in the game and you're ready to go.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Fuck, I'm attempting for the second time to play through twitcher 3.
First time was at release, and I stopped pretty much where you say, slowly after reaching Novigrad.

Any advice to follow through ? I really liked the plot of the first two games and I'm mildly interested in knowing what's gonna happen to Ciri and why. My knowledge of the lore doesn't go beyond the first two games, so I don't really see a clear direction to the story yet.
Novigrad has plenty of Dijkstra. Dijkstra is one of the best characters in the whole of Witcher lore. Go play it ffs.
And yes there is still some politicking. In Skellige as well. But the game as a whole is definitely more personal.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://gamingbolt.com/cyberpunk-2077-will-not-have-a-morality-system-cdpr-confirms

Cyberpunk 2077 Will Not Have A Morality System, CDPR Confirms
There’s no black or white in Night City.

Morality systems were once huge – and commonly used – in video games, but their binary nature and the sacrifices games’ stories had to make in authentic storytelling led to them eventually going out of style. CD Projekt RED had a huge part to play in that, especially when they came along with their Witcher games, which offered complex choices that drastically changed the narrative, but did so in a morally grey fashion where no choice was ever clearly right or wrong.

We know, of course, that Cyberpunk 2077 is going to have similar choice and consequence mechanics, and now, the developers have also confirmed something else we all probably expected anyway- there’s no real morality system in the upcoming RPG.

At E3 2019, we got the chance to interview quest director Mateusz Tomaszkiewicz. When we asked Tomaszkiewicz if the fact that the game will let players play through all of it non-lethally means that there will be a morality system, he said that there’s no real system to determine good and evil choices, and that non-lethal playthroughs are instead dependant on how much you choose to invest in your character’s capabilities in that area.

“We don’t have a moral system per se,” Tomaszkiewicz told GamingBolt. “However, to complete it non-lethally you have to be very good at stealth. Invest in points that allow you to stealth better, use weapons that will allow you to incapacitate the enemy instead of killing them, to make the moral choices that will allow you to avoid killing people throughout the game.”

Cyberpunk 2077 is out on April 16, 2020 for the PS4, Xbox One, and PC. Though the developers would eventually like to have the game on next gen systems, in our interview with Tomaszkiewicz, he also told us that CDPR has no current plans for that (or a Switch release). Stay tuned, our full interview will be going live soon.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Actually I think the morality of Cyberpunk is an interesting topic. What would the differences be in the perception of moral/immoral action in a world where nationalism doesn't exist, objectifying oneself and others is the norm, and revenue-driven organizations shape the public's perceptions and order of the day?

For one thing, I guess causing physical injury would be seen as much less of an issue - you crush your legs in a car accident, you can replace them cheap and fast with mech legs. Losing an eye or both eyes is not such a tragedy as in our world. Your original teeth you can also go without and exchange for mech, as we saw in one of the first screenshots.

On the other hand, what about violence towards children? This has always been a taboo in every society in history. Would it be more relaxed in CP2077? Also, in a world where someone's consciousness can be uploaded and live on as an AI, the abortion of a pregnancy may look much more like a murder than the killing of a grown man or woman. How very Polish of me to come to this thought. :D

norolim

Arcane
The sort answer would be, that most people would struggle in a sea of moral ambiguity, where there are nearly no reference points. Therefore, to know what's right and wrong in a given situation, they'd probably stick to codes of behaviour set by a corporation they slave for, a group they belong to, etc. I could write a much longer post about it, by trying to extrapolate from today's trends, but I'm too tired. Maybe tomorrow.

Big Wrangle

a world where someone's consciousness can be uploaded and live on as an AI
The Soulkiller program is not commercial, and was shelved due to controversy since it was used to kill people. Only peak expert netrunners can afford trying that and even then, it's just a digital copy. Besides that, this would negate the entire point of Trauma Team.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Actually I think the morality of Cyberpunk is an interesting topic. What would the differences be in the perception of moral/immoral action in a world where nationalism doesn't exist, objectifying oneself and others is the norm, and revenue-driven organizations shape the public's perceptions and order of the day?

Apart from one key detail (which certain political factions are busily working to "correct"), and considering numerous other factors you haven't mentioned, you just described the world we are living in today. The answer is fairly straightforward: There would barely be any differences in perception at all.

The biggest difference in perception would be that cyberpunk characters, as fictional constructs, tend not to delude themselves about the true nature of their reality. After all, authors/writers have to sell their setting to the readers/viewers. Large portions of humanity, on the other hand, continue to believe we'll be a spacefaring utopia any old time now—if only we can euthanize all non-globalists, eliminate religions, and solve climate change.

Two years ago:

4chan can find a secret flag in the middle of nowhere based on air traffic contrails; meanwhile, the CIA accidentally its entire hacking arsenal onto the whole Internet.

Are we officially living in a cyberpunk dystopia yet? We even have ubiquitous drones. I know it's hard to tell, since it's not nighttime all the time and we aren't wearing large 1980s-era mechanical keyboards strapped to our chests, but I think maybe we are.

Codex Year of the Donut
Any advice to follow through ?

That's actually a big deal in TW3. Without spoiling much - yes. You'll pretty much single-handedly decide the fate of all the Northern Kingdoms. This whole quest line is entirely optional but it was one of the best things about TW3 for me.

Also, my advice - don't play vanilla, mod the shit out of the game. Ghost Mode for a perfected vanilla experience, Enhanced Edition for a complete overhaul. I did Ghost Mode a few months ago, loved it. Throw in a couple of must have QoL mods (autoloot, insta-summon Roach, auto-apply oil, Roach never stops, quest objectives on the map, a reshade mod to tone down the nuclear-blast colour palette in Velen) so that various little things don't drive you crazy in those 150+ hours that you'll sink in the game and you're ready to go.
that quest is fucking shit and ruins dijkstra

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

For one thing, I guess causing physical injury would be seen as much less of an issue - you crush your legs in a car accident, you can replace them cheap and fast with mech legs. Losing an eye or both eyes is not such a tragedy as in our world. Your original teeth you can also go without and exchange for mech, as we saw in one of the first screenshots.

On the other hand, what about violence towards children? This has always been a taboo in every society in history. Would it be more relaxed in CP2077? Also, in a world where someone's consciousness can be uploaded and live on as an AI, the abortion of a pregnancy may look much more like a murder than the killing of a grown man or woman. How very Polish of me to come to this thought. :D
Its not because you are polish that made you come to those thoughts, but because you are a superficial cretin and a dumbfuck.

few points.

Nobody said that new mech legs are "cheap and fast" to get. And there sure would be cheaper and better models too. Same for the eyes or the teeth (which can be replaced right now)
This is cyberpunk, not cyberutopia.

Uploading consciousness is not an everyday thing available to everyone either, and in this setting and the story only few individuals made that transition - while their real nature in that new mode is not known at all.
And it seems that the chip containing secrets about it is the prize many super rich companies are fighting for.

the abortion of a pregnancy may look much more like a murder than the killing of a grown man or woman.
Thats how it is already, today.

And of course, an abortion has hardly anything to do with behavior towards children.... because embryos and fetuses are not children.

The biggest difference in perception would be that cyberpunk characters, as fictional constructs, tend not to delude themselves about the true nature of their reality. After all, authors/writers have to sell their setting to the readers/viewers. Large portions of humanity, on the other hand, continue to believe we'll be a spacefaring utopia any old time now—if only we can euthanize all non-globalists, eliminate religions, and solve climate change.

Large portions of "humanity"? Since when? Arent you focusing only on special sub group of people and misunderstanding that as "large portion" of anything there?

Tytus

Arcane
Cyberpsychosis still in game has anybody said?

Cyberpshychosis is ableist and problematic. Why are you such a garbage person?

I'm fully expecting it to be cut. Especially that CDPR said that there is a limit of what body modifications you can install. They used the Maelstrom gang as an example that you can't reach their levels. Imho if cyberphychosis appears to any extent it will be either part of the main story or in some side quest, but will not affect the player character.

Which is a shame. It would be cool to overdose on body impants and go full psycho. They could even implement a pop-up window where the game would warn you (you are running out of humanity points do you wish to continue?) or something like that. It could even be paired with the immortality mechanics. That after you go psycho and get killed - you wake up some time later with many of your implants stripped as a balancing mechanic and also a punishment for going overboard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom