Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Smaug and Lilura argue about Baldur's Gate, RTwP vs TB, etc

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Hahaha, good topic, I remember US army butthurt when MS tried to make consoles online only.
http://www.businessinsider.fr/us/mi...-us-troops-with-always-online-xbox-one-2013-6
"I predict a major shift to PlayStation Marine Corps-wide," said a former Marine who's done two tours aboard a carrier strike group at sea and who has beta-tested games for various companies. "Xbox is going to tank in the military."

Among the current generation of video game consoles, Xbox 360 is the favorite, even at sea where there's no Internet access.

"Xbox was the previous favorite," the Marine said. "'Halo' has always been an essential team LAN game aboard ship. It was almost a standard. Lots of people had it so easy to link Xboxes for 4 on 4," said the Marine.

It is, funnily enough, not that outlandish to have time to game as army personnel.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
If you're very concerned, there exist good RPGs on portable platforms like the Nintendo 3DS. Or, considering how the cRPG library favors low-end computers, even a shitty old laptop can do fine.

And if you're superconcerned about military life changing your habits as a video game player and "making you more mature", South Korea has a well-known issue with every able male Starcraft pro having to undergo mandatory military service, which is a 2 year pause in the career. Nevertheless, even now, there's enough merit (and, presumedly, money) in doing original Starcraft that people are already anticipating the return of the best Protoss of all time from the military this year.

Besides, even all that stuff aside, if your hypothetical military dad hasn't stopped watching reruns of Newhart or The A-Team as a favourite weekend pastime after participating in the Gulf War or maybe even invasion on Iraq, there's no reason for you to stop playing cRPGs just because you personally oversaw the dropping of a payload on some village in the Middle East. In the end, it all comes down to escapism from the grey reality of everyday life.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
no, just wouldn’t know if I had the time or not. I have enough dungeon crawlers, and open world games that’ll last me a long time. i bought the ultima, Wizardry, M&M, Arcanum, Fallout, Gold Box series etc

I should be good for a while

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
If you aren't tickled by opening the fog of war on those freeroam BG1 maps, if you don't feel a tingle of anticipation as you open up the map, then I have no idea why you're playing RPGs at all.
I prefer blobber exploration with Skills and magic tied to mapping and exploring. (Wizardry and probably M&M)

Have you got Legend of Grimrock 1 and 2 and Fall of the Dungeon Guardians on your list?

i got no where to go after high school, I’m kinda stupid and my grades aren’t to good. millitary is the only option I’m probably not coming back from it. and I probably don’t have time to play RPGs in the millitary

There's so much fucking downtime in the military it's ridiculous.

Codex Year of the Donut
As was stated many times above - play more games.
It is tb dnd implementation. One of the best and very polished.
If you want crawlers why not go ToEE..
Grimoir would suit you too.
i have grimoire. i have all the games I’m going to play this year. after that I won’t have time to play anymore, my rpg journey will probably end after i graduate high school this year
Then why even give a shit? You're awfully invested in something that you claim you're not invested in and will not be invested in in the future.

Also, you're the maximum gay for letting go of (C)RPGs just because you're growing up. It's like saying that you won't have time to read and that your reading journey will probably end after you graduate high school. You're still a fuckin' baby, yet you make it sound like your life with it's likes and wants is fucking ended.
i got no where to go after high school, I’m kinda stupid and my grades aren’t to good. millitary is the only option I’m probably not coming back from it. and I probably don’t have time to play RPGs in the millitary
join chair force, they spend all day doing nothing

Vulpes

Scholar
my life is kinda worthless
That was rather obvious the second you mentioned that you only play blobbers and dungeon crawlers. But in all seriousness, if you're planning on joining the military then either sing up for the army or the air force since both offer quite decent job opportunities later down the line. Go for the former if you like the idea of working for a PMC or the latter if you fancy yourself becoming an airline pilot

Be prepared to also give up on having sex after you have a child.
Doesn't that depend on the child, though, really?
To quote Loki Locke: "Age of consent is just a number used by the collective to restrain the might of the enlightened individual"

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
i got a question.

what exactly was the point of GOG? did they just make me pay money for games that originally for free? or are their advantages that they give like DRM free?

As was stated many times above - play more games.
It is tb dnd implementation. One of the best and very polished.
If you want crawlers why not go ToEE..
Grimoir would suit you too.
i have grimoire. i have all the games I’m going to play this year. after that I won’t have time to play anymore, my rpg journey will probably end after i graduate high school this year
Then why even give a shit? You're awfully invested in something that you claim you're not invested in and will not be invested in in the future.

Also, you're the maximum gay for letting go of (C)RPGs just because you're growing up. It's like saying that you won't have time to read and that your reading journey will probably end after you graduate high school. You're still a fuckin' baby, yet you make it sound like your life with it's likes and wants is fucking ended.
Horseshit, you can do whatever the fuck you want, and unless you catch a bullet or go career, military is only for so long. It might feel like you're not going anywhere in a hurry, but just like the rest of you you're here for life. The oldest guy in my university program is over twice your age, and whatever hole of grades you've got stuck in isn't worse than that you can dig yourself out of it. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, and it won't necessarily be fast, but the years in high school will quickly pale in comparison to the number of years you have ahead of you, bar extenuating circumstances.

there was a 46 year old guy in my wifes medical school class

laclongquan

Arcane

I heard there's plenty of game playing in military, from PnP to cRPG to action shooters. It's just how you find the group concentrated on that kind of time waster.

Also, there's so much time to waste in military, finding make works for bored privates just so they dont burn down the barracks is a major task for sergeant majors.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
i got a question.

what exactly was the point of GOG? did they just make me pay money for games that originally for free? or are their advantages that they give like DRM free?
To rip off dipshits like you who ignore advice from me on how to get 40 year old games for free.

p.s. Don't join the military, become a painter and decorator or something, you can make good money.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
"Lilura and smaug are arguing", what? Rename this thread to "Smaug's Echo chamber" or alternatively "Codex teen counseling services"
why are you so butthurt all the time?

i already exposed you for being a shill

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom