Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
i added the remaining woodland cemeteries and called it "lukasdeck"
let's see how it goes

edit
oh wait, i can't play woodland cemeteries

Last edited:
Ravnica-only format's fairly fun. Haven't put together anything that feels super good yet but I'm enjoying changing decks after every single match and fucking around. Most entertaining deck (Though not exactly good) has been Simic control. Wilderness rec, card draw, mild ramp in the form of growth spiral, and 4x hydroid krasis since you're going to take a beating before you come online. Also a few mass manipulations because stealing your opponent's shit is always a good time. In fact I really should be running a few Tamiyo too to bring back krasis/mass manipulation back to hand and/or dig for them.

First deck I tried was similar to my old Orzhov deck I had fun with before WAR, but it struggles against the tide of planeswalkers and amass decks. Also messed with Scruffy's esper bounce deck, obviously modified. It worked and I got a win out of it, but 3 color is a bit harder to swing without checklands helping too, and losing stuff like chupacabra and hostage taker hurts the deck pretty bad. Not to mention the 2cmc draw a card vampire, even though I made do with more Fblthp. I'd really like to play Rakdos aristocrats but I'm too much of a cheap fucker to craft the 3 remaining gutterbones rather than using the uncommon skelly from M19. Although it would probably be a decent craft anyway just because I do enjoy playing that shit and I'll be losing the M19 skelly.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
i've been having fun in the event with this:

3 Spawn of Mayhem (RNA) 85
7 Mountain (RIX) 195
3 Midnight Reaper (GRN) 77
3 Judith, the Scourge Diva (RNA) 185
7 Swamp (RIX) 194
3 Widespread Brutality (WAR) 226
4 Gutterbones (RNA) 76
3 Rix Maadi Reveler (RNA) 109
3 Priest of Forgotten Gods (RNA) 83
3 Dreadhorde Butcher (WAR) 194
4 Torch Courier (GRN) 119
4 Spark Harvest (WAR) 105
4 Blood Crypt (RNA) 245
4 Rakdos Guildgate (RNA) 255
2 Pilfering Imp (GRN) 81
3 Fireblade Artist (RNA) 172

Gates gets a little hosed just because Gates Ablaze is banned (Though if you've got a fat stack of clarions you're probably in decent shape). And drakes loses a few pieces like shock, enigma drake, opt. Probably still decent since you can run Saheeli and shit but I dunno. Might try some Izzet tomorrow.

guess i'll have to buy this m20 bundle thingie as well
damn
I'm still on the fence. Steam sale is tomorrow so I'll see how much (If anything) I want to grab from that before deciding on snagging the M20 preorder. It's got some fun looking cards, I just don't know if there are enough that I want a lot of random cards to toy around with or just use wildcards on the goodies. Or rather, I absolutely do want a lot of random cards to toy around but I'm not sure there'll be much toy-room in the meta. I still technically don't need to be buying any games or MTGA cards, and I have been playing MTGA less since WAR hit (Usually just the 250 and 100s for dailies, whereas before WAR I was sometimes maxing out my dailies) but that's still a decent chunk of Magic every day. Just haven't found anything that clicks with me super hard and a lot of the decks I end up against annoy me. On the bright side with the preorder, much like with Liliana and WAR, Chandra looks like a juicy card from M20. She may not be as widely playable as Liliana is but she's really goddamn interesting.

Edit: Oh yeah, another pirate for you lukaszek

0857765f-afd7-418a-a93b-c0bd1b1f037e.jpg

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
After a long hiatus I present my newest creation:

Dovin's Bouncy Fun-House!
3 Dovin's Acuity (RNA) 168
3 Clear the Mind (RNA) 34
4 Dovin's Veto (WAR) 193
1 Ashiok, Dream Render (WAR) 228
3 Settle the Wreckage (XLN) 34
1 Fall of the Thran (DAR) 18
4 Blink of an Eye (DAR) 46
4 Ixalan's Binding (XLN) 17
2 Dovin, Architect of Law (RNA) 265
1 Search for Azcanta (XLN) 74
4 Expel from Orazca (RIX) 37
4 Thought Collapse (RNA) 57
2 Teferi's Time Twist (WAR) 72

8 Plains (RIX) 192
8 Island (RIX) 193
4 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
4 Glacial Fortress (XLN) 255

Basically just bounce everything the opponent puts out forever and eventually win with fall of thran + ashiok combo.

I really wanted to use that Dovin planeswalker in a deck and this seems to do it. All opponents have quit out of frustration before I even got fall of thran out tho :(

Dawkinsfan69 You could run Remorseful Cleric instead of Ashiok for your Thran memes, too. May be a little better just because worst case it's a 2/1 with flying for 2cmc so it's more widely applicable even outside of the combo. Unfortunately I'm 99% sure Tomik wouldn't work to cockblock your opponent since the wording on Thran is such that your opponent probably wouldn't be playing them from the graveyard. Unfortunately the cleric's a rare so if you haven't already got some it'd be some expensive rotating-soon jank.

yeah i saw that pirate. Its interesting indeed. Might be worth it to do more control oriented pirates after all, like blue-red that didnt make that much sense before
I see your cuck rating and raise you another pirate.

D94BVZFWsAAx6iR

Multi-headed Cow can you sack cleric same turn you drop it? I assumed you couldn't so i thought ashiok would be safer cuz u can exile same turn
You should be able to because you don't have to tap it. Like you can blow up brontodon while it has summoning sickness, dauntless bodyguard, etc.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
just in case, it might have happened you left something out, I'll update this whenever I remember:

PlayAllegiance 3 Ravnica Allegiance Packs
PlayRavnica 3 Guild of Ravnica Packs
PlayWarSpark 3 War of the Spark Packs
OneBillion 1 War of the Spark Pack

ParallaxPotion - Revitalize
SuperScry - Opt
FoilFungus - Deathbloom Thallid
ShinyGoblinPirate - Fanatical Firebrand
SparkleDruid - Druid of the Cowl

STARTERSTYLES
Luminous Bonds
Divination
Doomed Dissenter
Viashino Pyromancer
Llanowar Elves
Meteor Golem
Special Arena sleeve

OverTheMoon - Arlinn, Voice of the Pack
INNERDEMON - Ob Nixilis, the Hate-Twisted
SHIELDSUP - Teyo, the Shieldmage
WRITTENINSTONE - Nahiri, Storm of Stone

updating with the latest:

EnlightenMe
MythicMagic

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
yeah i got a seraph of the scales, a niv mizzet reborn and a trostani discordant
i even needed the trostani

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom