Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Suggest a JRPG for me...

Which JRPG should I play next?

• Shing Force 2

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Golden Sun

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Lufia 2

Votes: 15 29.4%
  • Terranigma

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • Secret of Mana

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Shiness: The Lightning Kingdom

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Skies of Arcadia: Legends

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Lunar: The Silver Star

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Shing The Holy Ark

Votes: 7 13.7%

• Total voters

Kaivokz

Arcane
I completely agree regarding Skies of Arcadia, only thing is, I own the GC version on real hardware, and don't have a Dreamcast. How good is Dreamcast emulation these days? As a rule, I always prefer real hardware when possible, but if Emulating Skies with a DC emualtor on PC is a viable option, I'd consider it.
Yeah, I played it on a dreamcast. I actually have two sitting in storage... I'd loan you one if I could. Skies of Arcadia is great. Not sure how DC emulation is, but I know the GC emulation of Skies has some graphical glitches.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
I have a model 1 Sega CD and a copy of Lunar, so I'm good to go.

Have you heard about the "Unworked Design" game edits? : https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=23436.0

I've been trying to burn and get working the version of Lunar which reverts shit back to how it was before getting tweaked (read: facked) by western localization, but so far, I'm having issues. Seems like from the romhackers chagelist, Lunar was the least fucked with localization, so would you recommend jsut playing the default experience, or should I get that version working?
Never heard "Un-Worked Designs", but it looks like a fine pile of patches. Already know I'll miss character conversations in ALL CAPS.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Shining Force is probably the best game on that list, but it's not an RPG so I voted for Lufia 2 (a genuine classic) and Lunar (not amazing imo but a fine game in the 16-bit JRPG style).

Yeah, I played it on a dreamcast. I actually have two sitting in storage... I'd loan you one if I could. Skies of Arcadia is great. Not sure how DC emulation is, but I know the GC emulation of Skies has some graphical glitches.

Yeah, I think the original DC has enough quality titles for me to eventually spring for getting Skies of Arcadia running on original hardware - I'll backlog it for now.

Never heard "Un-Worked Designs", but it looks like a fine pile of patches. Already know I'll miss character conversations in ALL CAPS.

Lol, WHAT A LOSS!;)

Shining Force is probably the best game on that list, but it's not an RPG so I voted for Lufia 2 (a genuine classic) and Lunar (not amazing imo but a fine game in the 16-bit JRPG style).

I hear you - I think I'll play both SF2, and Lufia 2 concurrently, (and maybe Uncharted Waters: NH) as they are distinct enough in gameplay. Thanks for all of the insights, guys :salute:.

Max Damage

Savant
Shining Force 2. Don't forget to apply patch so you can search chests in battle, because localization team fucked that up somehow. If I could pick 2, I'd definitely recommend Lufia 2 as well, maybe before SF2 if you're looking for more traditional jRPG experience instead of jRPG/Tactics.

Kaivokz

Arcane
Shining Force 2. Don't forget to apply patch so you can search chests in battle, because localization team fucked that up somehow. If I could pick 2, I'd definitely recommend Lufia 2 as well, maybe before SF2 if you're looking for more traditional jRPG experience instead of jRPG/Tactics.
Patch is totally optional; there is only one chest in the game that you cannot get and it contains a non-unique upper mid-tier lance.

If you do play it there is an optional secret battle if you wait five minutes after the credits and then press C. It’s nothing super special, but it’s there if you finish and want one more sort of tough battle.

Kaivokz

Arcane
Looking at the poll, for the record; Terranigma blows Secret of Mana straight out the water, no contest.
The main thing secret of mana had going for it was co-op, but there are a lot more co-op RPGs today than back then.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I hate it when weebs try to make a "better translation". They're always worse than the original official localizations.

Working Designs and Ted Woosley for life! Fuck weebs who think Terra should be named Tina.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Modern game translations are on the one hand technically better (less typos, more "accurate," English that is more natural)... but on the other hand way more annoying to read because they are often way way way more flowery than the original Japanese—including my pet peeve, giving each character a different kind of accent, either because the original Japanese used regional dialects as some kind of shorthand for characterization (i.e. lazy writing) or because the translator wanted to show off his skills at approximating an Australian accent based on his hazy memories of Crocodile Dundee and Kano from the Mortal Kombat movie.

There is definitely something to be said for the older translations that had to be cut to the bone due to memory limitations but still make sense. It's a mark of his talent that Woosley was able to do such a great job even with the ridiculous limitations under which he had to work.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Fun fact, the actor who played Kano in the movie was instructed to do a Cockney accent, but he came off as Australian, and then the game retroactively retconned the character as Australian!

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Don't play Golden Sun.
Never understood the appeal. Don't understand why the name still pops out now and then. Never will.
I guess it's the sort of privilege you get for being the first okay-ish jrpg on gba (is there any other actually ?). It even got a sequel.

Theldaran

Liturgist
To be a full-fledged videogame fan, you need to play Shining Force 2 at least once. A damned euro right there on Steam as of now.

It's a damn fun game, you won't regret it. And the Bolt spell is very good, but not OP as in Sword of Hajya. SF2 is one of Genesis' best games, and that's to say a lot.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Play Vagrant Story, you turboweeb.

dims

This is the one game that could really use a remake, not because of muh graphics, but because of muh mechanics that are very interesting but sadly don't work that well.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I hate it when weebs try to make a "better translation". They're always worse than the original official localizations.

Working Designs and Ted Woosley for life! Fuck weebs who think Terra should be named Tina.

I've seen you talk about how Tina was meant to sound exotic and so on, even though other people claim Celes+Tina is a reference to an italian play or something... But the truth is I couldn't give less of a shit about "the vision" of a videogame writer, so as long as the localized product is more interesting than the original, I'm down with it. And I couldn't give less of a shit about an italian reference, Terra all the way for me.

If someone were to retranslate Disgaea to get rid of all the weeb conversations, I would actually give it a try and commend the translator.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I've seen you talk about how Tina was meant to sound exotic and so on, even though other people claim Celes+Tina is a reference to an italian play or something... But the truth is I couldn't give less of a shit about "the vision" of a videogame writer, so as long as the localized product is more interesting than the original, I'm down with it. And I couldn't give less of a shit about an italian reference, Terra all the way for me.

If someone were to retranslate Disgaea to get rid of all the weeb conversations, I would actually give it a try and commend the translator.

I've never once talked about that motivating factor for the choice of 'Tina', that must have been brought by others (and also because I've seen other people bring that up). I think that that it is a moot point because if the japanese writer was going to pick Tina because it sounded exotic to him, despite the eurocentric world view predicated by the game and game-world itself, then that japanese writer was a fucking moron.

As for the Celes and Terra symmetry, that was introduced by the english-language localization team, once again proving how they elevated the original material beyond its weeb foundations.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I've never once talked about that motivating factor for the choice of 'Tina', that must have been brought by others (and also because I've seen other people bring that up). I think that that it is a moot point because if the japanese writer was going to pick Tina because it sounded exotic to him, despite the eurocentric world view predicated by the game and game-world itself, then that japanese writer was a fucking moron.

As for the Celes and Terra symmetry, that was introduced by the english-language localization team, once again proving how they elevated the original material beyond its weeb foundations.

You are right, it was Damned Registrations in that same conversation that said Tina was picked to sound "exotic". Anyhow, I agree that localizations can elevate the original material. I personally believe a good translation cannot be so without good localization.

Gamezor

Learned
Shining the Holy Ark looks dope. Kinda worried it will be hard to emulate since apparently Saturn doesn't have great emulation.

Gastrick

Cipher
Using a list sucks because I'd recommend a game that isn't on it. Also rec threads are the lowest quality threads, so making one is contributing to decline.

Gastrick

Cipher
Either Xenogears or Live-a-Live. The story and gameplay in those two are top notch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom