Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

Delterius

Arcane
What is the deal with ethics attraction? I have an annoying faction that gives me 0% approval rating because they are xeno loving scum. It contains over 90 (!) pops.

I have tried Fear Campaign edicts, Deep Space Black Sites over planets, having a God-Emperor, etc. They haven't budged in 20 years; in fact they have more members than before. Does ethics attraction actually work?
The moment you get a faction they begin to exert some weight towards their respective ethic. There are many ways you can get weights towards an ethic that you might not even notice. Xenophiles pop up just by having non shitty alien pops in a world. Mouse over the ethics thing to see what is causing this.

chuft

Augur
13% of my populaiton is in the xeno-loving "Alien Reform Institute" yet my xenophile attraction is only 3%. Something is amiss.

I am going to suppress the bastards.

chuft

Augur
I decided to test my first Planet Cracker colossus on the Rak 121-pop homeworld to punish them for becoming satraps.

The other planets are now my vassal. I am very proud of this technological terror I’ve created.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
What are you starting moves in 2.3.x?
Because I have noticed mine are kinda the same in every game:

Before I unpause:
- I order the production of a second science ship
- I order the building of a mining station on the unexploited energy resource in the starting system
- I enact "Map the stars", not because of survey speed but because I want my starting region to have as many resources and archaeological sites as possible
- I send my first science ship on a survey route to the nearest choke point
- I switch to "Mixed economy" if my empire starts with something else

Once my second science ship has been build:
- I send the second science ship on a survey route to another choke point. I play with 0.75 hyperlane density so I usually can completely close off my starting region with 2-4 chokepoints

chuft

Augur
I set Default Species Rights to Chattel Slavery, Migration Controls On, and Population Controls On.

Just in case, like a pimply teenaged nerd buying condoms.

Because I have noticed mine are kinda the same in every game:

Before I unpause:
- I order the production of a second science ship
- I order the building of a mining station on the unexploited energy resource in the starting system
- I enact "Map the stars", not because of survey speed but because I want my starting region to have as many resources and archaeological sites as possible
- I send my first science ship on a survey route to the nearest choke point
- I switch to "Mixed economy" if my empire starts with something else

Once my second science ship has been build:
- I send the second science ship on a survey route to another choke point. I play with 0.75 hyperlane density so I usually can completely close off my starting region with 2-4 chokepoints

It's pretty much the same moves every game, for obvious reasons. Some things I'd recommend:
- The most efficient way to get energy early game is to trade food for energy. Trading away starting food immediately for energy is a good idea. One or two extra food districts is more than enough for a long time, though I'd recommend at least one mineral district first.
- Minerals first seems better for stations and, soon, alloys. Having a large alloy surplus (like, thousands) is good for throwing up a quick fleet and/or starbases if you suddenly find yourself rivaled and getting claimed. Being able to throw away 5-10 alloys a month for 30 years is also an easy way to pacify AIs that you're boxing in with your aggressive expansion (and get a defensive alliance when someone else gets angry). Pops working clerks should be moved to these jobs immediately.
- Nutritional plentitude immediately is fine I think.
- The homeworld always has a obstruction to be cleared that will immediately generate a new pop, do that early.
- Map The Stars is pretty weak, you're going to average like 1 more anomaly, maybe two. Having influence to get to choke points is better. Even if you get to immediate chokepoints, you can get to further ones because the AI is awful at expanding. Worst case, part of an edict is probably worth more than an average anomaly.
- I generally wait to get the -starbase influence cost tradition from expansion to actually start throwing down my bases. Have 2-3 constructors ready and in position as soon as you click it though, and have your colony ships already built and going to the colony before the constructors finish claiming the system.

chuft

Augur
So yeah, Fear Campaign, God-Emperor, Deep Space Black Sites, and now Suppress Faction - end result, faction is bigger than before, despite a 1% Xenophile attraction rate.

All this is doing is costing me Influence for the suppression. Doesn't work.

chuft

Augur
Incidentally I am now in 2368 with no performance problems, with gates and wormholes. Maybe the galaxy size is the determining factor (forget mine but it's not the largest).

chuft

Augur
Is there any way to tell which sectors would benefit most from a Trade boosting governor? I don't see any in the Planets and Sectors view. Do you have to look at each planet?

Norfleet

So yeah, Fear Campaign, God-Emperor, Deep Space Black Sites, and now Suppress Faction - end result, faction is bigger than before, despite a 1% Xenophile attraction rate.
Nerve Staple Everyone. The nerve stapled cannot be faction members, so next month the factions will all disband. Now de-staple them. Factions restored to only your core factions.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent

Suppressing a faction has never worked for me either. I keep trying it.. and it never works. The function seems to be completely useless.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Suppressing a faction has never worked for me either. I keep trying it.. and it never works. The function seems to be completely useless.
I think it has a minimal effect in reducing its attraction, therefore making it grow less quickly, or in fringe cases, maybe even reducing it.
But for the immense influence cost, it's absolutely not worth it.

chuft

Augur
What is the deal with psionic armies? I recruited a bunch and went to war. They got mostly killed fighting some gene warriors or something. (How do you get xenomorph armies anyway? Got them one game and never again.).

Now I can’t recruit any more psionic armies. Have they permanently been used up?

Olinser

Savant
What is the deal with psionic armies? I recruited a bunch and went to war. They got mostly killed fighting some gene warriors or something. (How do you get xenomorph armies anyway? Got them one game and never again.).

Now I can’t recruit any more psionic armies. Have they permanently been used up?

Xenomorph is a rare tech that has have full gene splicing to unlock, and I think the Uplift tech.

Psi armies are not unique but can only be recruited from a species that has Psionics perk, which is basically only your own base population.

My guess is you were only looking at planets without Psionic pops on them, or had military service disabled for your Psionic species.

And yeah, Xenomorphs slaughter Psi armies because Psi armies big power is morale damage and Xenos are immune to morale.

chuft

Augur
Nope, my main race (which is on all planets) is all psionic, and the planets I recruited psionic armies at before, I no longer can. There was a limit on how many I could build, and once met, I’ve been unable to recruit any more, even after losing most of them in battles. Guess it’s a bug.

Olinser

Savant
Nope, my main race (which is on all planets) is all psionic, and the planets I recruited psionic armies at before, I no longer can. There was a limit on how many I could build, and once met, I’ve been unable to recruit any more, even after losing most of them in battles. Guess it’s a bug.

Yeah that's either a bug or a recent change. 2 patches ago I was using 100 psi armies to take the stupid annoying Fallen Empire planets back when they were just camping 50 strong armies on all their worlds.

chuft

Augur
Turned out to be a UI issue. I thought this was the end of the list:

HLCb3Ed.jpg

But it was this:

x1AFX3O.jpg

Something filled up the list with more stuff and pushed psionic armies to the bottom off the initial view, and I didn't realize the list had grown.

Of course "UI issue" really means "PEBKAC issue" but I prefer to think of it as a UI issue.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
My starting moves:
1. Order second Science Ship and sell 200 food to buy scientist
2. Orde Map the Stars for +10% anomaly discovery
3. Order science ships to go for nearest chokepoint - it is the most important thing to do - to lock your empire in several chokepoints.
4. Complete building in your home system
5. Locate guaranteed colonizable system nearby and colonize it

I have an annoying faction that gives me 0% approval rating because they are xeno loving scum. It contains over 90 (!) pops.
You have to supress them as well, Are you a monoethnic empire or Sweden?

Have to say, I tried starnet, gave it a full playthrough, and its amazingly better than vanilla or glavius at revitalizing the game. The AI actually gets properly aggressive, it's not just "do everything you can to win your first war or two, then quickly snowball out of control", because the AI can do that itself competently.

Also, here's an amazing console command I've never seen mentioned that basically fixes performance: ticks_per_turn x. Set it to 2-10 and experience a massive performance increase. Downside is that the UI gets laggy, you basically need to pause to do most things that can't be done with keyboard shortcuts. Really astonishing that the devs are wasting this much processing time on dumb shit that could be optimized better.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom