Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Tytus

Arcane
The rest is one night stand,

If you're looking at it that way. Shani is also a one night stand and should not be counted.
Be consistent at least.

Tytus

Arcane
Shani has a history with Geralt way back to Witcher 1

In which you might have not romanced her at all.

Her content is also more romance focused comparing to other character as well.

Arguably. One quest about finding an item to woo her does not count for much.
Keira has a much longer and more involved "date quest" than this that doesn't need to end with sex.

Optimist

Savant
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
My personal suggestion would be to just go along with Gibson. The first two trilogies (the one that starts with Neuromancer and the one with Virtual Light) are fully translated into Polish (I actually liked the second one more, despite Neuromancer being kvlt and whatnot). The third trilogy (starting with Pattern Recognition) has first two books translated, and is quite unique because it takes place nowadays, yet remains cyberpunk. Lastly his newest book The Peripheral, was also translated not long ago. Essentially the comparison between that Shadowrun book and Gibson is like comparing Xena to LOTR.

The third trilogy is amazing. There are very few living authors whose writing styles I adore as much as Gibson's, and his branding/naming/visual identification obsessions are so much more impactful when he talks about stuff you interact with on a daily basis.

If anyone wants some cheesy cyberpunk light reading and would prefer it to focus more on the socio-economic than the technological side of the genre, Morgan's Market Forces is pretty good, silly fun. Just don't do too much Morgan at once, or you'll notice that he tends to write one book over and over again.

Yosharian

Arcane

Keira has a much longer and more involved "date quest" than this that doesn't need to end with sex.
Yeah but on the other hand, Keira is a complete bitch

Tytus

Arcane

Yeah but on the other hand, Keira is a complete bitch

Canon Geralt loves being bossed around and treated like a dog by witches bitches.

Gerrard

Arcane
I hope someone makes a comparison of what the game was talked about to be vs what it ended up as when it's out. It will be something like this
67kbOKG.jpg

Curratum

I hope someone makes a comparison of what the game was talked about to be vs what it ended up as when it's out. It will be something like this
67kbOKG.jpg

Well, they didn't lie en-masse about Witcher 3 before release, did they? I didn't follow development because I assumed it would be hot garbage.

Tytus

Arcane
Well, they didn't lie en-masse about Witcher 3 before release, did they? I didn't follow development because I assumed it would be hot garbage.

They cut out some stuff that was in the trailers (like the non-hostile mermaid encounters) and there also was a graphical downgrade. But other than that no. They didn't lie through their teeth like Ubisoft did with Watch Dogs for example or Sean Murray with No Man's Sky.

Quillon

Arcane
Do native English speakers use "romancing" as a verb IRL? "I romanced that chick" etc. :D Or is it only used for games?

Wesp5

Arcane
The third trilogy is amazing. There are very few living authors whose writing styles I adore as much as Gibson's, and his branding/naming/visual identification obsessions are so much more impactful when he talks about stuff you interact with on a daily basis.

Although I don't like Gibson's third trilogy as much as the others, his writing style is truely amazing and closely connected for me to the whole Cyberspace genre. Reading e.g. Stephenson in comparison feels completely bland and boring...

Gerrard

Arcane
67kbOKG.jpg

Aside from the graphics downgrade I don't remember if they talked about many features that weren't in the final game, but Witcher 3 also wasn't announced 8 years before release so they didn't have that much time.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Although I don't like Gibson's third trilogy as much as the others, his writing style is truely amazing and closely connected for me to the whole Cyberspace genre. Reading e.g. Stephenson in comparison feels completely bland and boring...

Both true, then again Gibson's vs. Stephenson's cyberpunk is like 1970 Ford Mustang vs the space shuttle. The Mustang is cool and classy but the space shuttle is so much smarter and sophisticated.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I would note that Altered Carbon and other junk from that writer are the lowest quality of the mentioned novels. But some beginners may find it .... interesting, although its nothing but superficial ego power trip full of plot armor magic and other similar garbage "writing tricks" where everything falls into the lap of the protagonist - because he is so kewl.

Curratum

I would note that Altered Carbon and other junk from that writer are the lowest quality of the mentioned novels. But some beginners may find it .... interesting, although its nothing but superficial ego power trip full of plot armor magic and other similar garbage "writing tricks" where everything falls into the lap of the protagonist - because he is so kewl.

So basically pulp fiction, but cyberpunk. I have no issue with pulp fiction! :D

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Of course you don't, you are a brain dead consumer drone.

edit:

No need to get edgy, you said so yourself, Whatever is entertaaainiiing is good and all that is good is entertaaainnniinng. entertaaainnnmeeent takes over all higher intellectual capabilities - you are a consumer drone with no taste or value system anymore.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.

Both true, then again Gibson's vs. Stephenson's cyberpunk is like 1970 Ford Mustang vs the space shuttle. The Mustang is cool and classy but the space shuttle is so much smarter and sophisticated.
Gibson's autist remarks about modern society observed through the eyes of Milgrim in the third trilogy like trendsetting & brand awareness, or the entire plot to "outbigend" Bigend in his Elon Musque plans are way over anything Stephenson ever wrote. The surgical level of observation, stripped of all the fluff humanity hangs around it to seem more reasonable can be seriously jaw-dropping, even more than a setting made of plausible futuristic what-ifs, simply because it's already happening. Gibson wrote both classics and modern commentary, should you actually take time to read them. Not to even mention essentially spear-pointing VR and cybernetics influence on society in sci-fi. Also, I find Stephenson a curious persona IRL, but as a writer he's quite a bore IMO. Just as Morgan tries to become a newer, cooler Gibson by reusing older themes in his shtick. I was literally amazed that someone found Altered Carbon to be TV worthy.

Last edited:

Curratum

edit:

No need to get edgy, you said so yourself, Whatever is entertaaainiiing is good and all that is good is entertaaainnniinng. entertaaainnnmeeent takes over all higher intellectual capabilities - you are a consumer drone with no taste or value system anymore.

I only said I enjoy pulp fiction, you pretentious waste of space. :D

Wesp5

Arcane
I was literally amazed that someone found Altered Carbon to be TV worthy.

I really liked the book, more so than its sequels. But Morgan must have gotten quite a sum of money for allowing the TV version to butcher his work in such a way as seen! As someone already mentioned I remember "Hardwired" as being on par with Gibson, but no Stephenson book could reach him ever...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom