Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Tytus

Arcane
Quest? Your character will probably be a Chosem One (TM) that is for some reason immune to Mind Flayer's magic/psychic attacks and will be able to extend that immunity on the party.

It would be nice to play the exact oposite: being an Elder Brain - and you need to direct your Illithid, and then control/subjugate "lesser" races for either food, sport or access to stronger psionics, (limited) magic resources or actual resources (bronze, iron, steel, adamantium, gems, rare gems, etc)

Maybe be faced with choices and consequences on the brains you choose to devour. The minions that you choose to kill. The few that you let live.

Maybe be faced with ethical choices: to pursue higher psionic powers, or go for necromancy. Punish necromancy. Use the big ship to sail across the planes in the quest to improve the psionics of your Illithid.

Then face the gith in all their forms (no refs. to Dakkon or sudoku), and have to adapt your strategies against them. I'm thinking something of the sorts of the X-COM style combat with an ant farm to take care of in-between "missions" or "scenarios" at home.

Have some episodes of descriptive CYOA for the story-oriented people, peppered here and there.

If I were Swen I would detach myself from the RTwP completely for this title - go TB - and then for a potential 4th installment bring back the RTwP just to "fuck" with the "fans", and to always keep the cynics guessing.

Forgotten Realms: Mind Flayer Commander

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
ILLITHID BARDS
5def7d9823457283550f5f9edf70b3d3.jpg

ILLITHID WAITRESS
illithid.jpg

I bet there will be some kind of Underdark and cringeworthy drow. God I wish there will be option to kill Drizzt as a compensation for years of cringe and bad writing. +90% magic resistance drow also should go.

Tytus

Arcane
Unpopular opinion:
Drow and the Underdark are one of the only good things about Forgotten Realms setting. Most of it is fully retarded.

Tytus

Arcane
What would Illithid music sound like?

It wouldn't. The equivalent of a thing that you could colloquially call music would be blasted directly into your mind. But would not travel through air on a sound wave. Thus their music wouldn't sound like anything or at all.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Unpopular opinion:
Drow and the Underdark are one of the only good things about Forgotten Realms setting. Most of it is fully retarded.
This isn't an unpopular opinion; the mainstream opinion is that the Underdark and its associated races (illithid, beholders, Drow, Duergar) are the best and perhaps only thing of merit from FR.

I dislike when people do this on the Internet, and it is quite common: they say "Unpopular opinion:" or "Hot take:" and then proceed to say something perfectly ordinary which most people share.

Codex Year of the Donut
Unpopular opinion:
This isn't an unpopular opinion; the mainstream opinion is that the Underdark and its associated races (illithid, beholders, Drow, Duergar) are the best and perhaps only thing of merit from FR.

I dislike when people do this on the Internet, and it is quite common: they say "Unpopular opinion:" or "Hot take:" and then proceed to say something perfectly ordinary which most people share.
top 5 popular pages of the FR wiki excluding main page is all underdark. The main page isn't even #1.
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Special:Insights/popularpages

Tytus

Arcane
Unpopular opinion:

Ah, that's my problem I don't talk to most people about my hobbies.
I always thought that people like FR as a whole as it was (and I think still is) the defaut setting for D&D.

Hot take:
I think Dragonlance is a much more cohesive and overall better setting than Forgotten Realms.
Especially during War of Souls event.

Curratum

Overwritten settings are invariably bollocks. All you need is a map and a couple of paragraphs with hooks and oddities for each region. I can mostly stomach FR just because I ignore all the horrible fluff.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
What the fuck is everyone talking about. There are no good mainstream D&D settings. Forgotten Realms sucks, Dragonlance is total shit, Greyhawk is meaningless and Eberron is retarded. Planescape is cool, if you can ignore the fact that it implies the existance of the other ones.

Mystara is just a meme, Dark Sun is acceptable but only thanks to the racist cannibal halflings.

Mortmal

Arcane
The fact that drow are popular does not invalidate their cringeness
They were not cringy until every teen start playing two wielding scimitars drow in neverwinter ,on private servers, joining their siblings on the cringe podium, the crowd of furry roleplayers and lesbian halflings.Now even s in a pen and paper session everyone is very reluctant to see someone bringing a drow.Sad such a good underdark setting was tainted.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Quest? Your character will probably be a Chosem One (TM) that is for some reason immune to Mind Flayer's magic/psychic attacks and will be able to extend that immunity on the party.

Forgotten Realms: Mind Flayer Commander

There is also a horribly unused mechanic in RP games in general: the concept of losing levels while progressing through the story. Again - Elder Brain - your Illithind are losing psionic power (and thus levels), and you have to adapt. Choose which feats to lose. Which skills to have wane.

Combat is RTwP when the lesser races are involved - who cares about a few goblins, humans, or even duergar or drow. They are meat for the slaughter. But when your Illithid are involved, switch to TB, and have the battles designed so each and every faet and skill you lose matter.

Intertwine concepts of entropy, aging, memory loss with sparkling new gameplay that will make the gameplay fans stand errect.

I'm starting to get depressed while I am typing this. It will be about THE CHOSEN ONE TM - because it's easier to do a dumb game with some smart stuff, than it is to make a smart game with some dumb stuff.

:negative:

Curratum

What the fuck is everyone talking about. There are no good mainstream D&D settings. Forgotten Realms sucks, Dragonlance is total shit, Greyhawk is meaningless and Eberron is retarded. Planescape is cool, if you can ignore the fact that it implies the existance of the other ones.

Mystara is just a meme, Dark Sun is acceptable but only thanks to the racist cannibal halflings.

UKW2mkJ.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom