Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Suikoden

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Yeah, I don't understand what the fuck were they thinking with that shitty MIDI.

It has a few great tracks though:

Still, what a game.

Wow, these are my two favorite songs in the game as well.

Inziladun

Magister
Funny to see Suikoden get some love here on the kkkodex. I remember playing 5 when I was younger and absolutely loving it. Looked into playing 3 but never got around to it. Ultimately decided I'd wait for the next entry into the series and give it a go... well I'm still waiting. Lol. Whatever happened to this series anyway?

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Funny to see Suikoden get some love here on the kkkodex. I remember playing 5 when I was younger and absolutely loving it. Looked into playing 3 but never got around to it. Ultimately decided I'd wait for the next entry into the series and give it a go... well I'm still waiting. Lol. Whatever happened to this series anyway?
It got a japanese only PSP port of the first 2 games and a DS spinoff. No idea how the PSP game did but I'm fairly certain the DS game bombed.

Jinn

Arcane
I remember just sitting and listening to the Duck Village theme for several loops every time I got a chance. City and village themes always tend to be very good in the Suikoden games.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Konami seems to have largely stepped back from developing games. The Metal Gear and Pro Soccer Evolution games seem to be the only 'big' games they do much work on any more, everything else looks to be low-budget titles.

Last edited:

Deflowerer

Arcane
It also got a PSP spin-off, but as I remember correctly, it was just shitty generic JRPG with Suikoden title.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
There's only one Suikoden game based on the literary classic.

RRV2Rov.png

9kfOJhb.png

Romance of Three Kingdoms killed it completely in vidya gaem.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
- Suikoden 2 is one of the best jrpgs ever made EASILY in any true jrpg fans Top 10.

- Suikoden 3 while not reaching the same heights would defintiely make it into any true jrpg fans top 30.

- As for Suikoden 4... I dont remember a single thing about Suikoden 4 other than I do know I did in fact play it though not to completion. This is the one that had a prince and some sailing was a thing right/ Honestly all I know is that it was a huge disappointment after the greatness of Suikoden 2 and 3 and that I dropped this 4th entry in disgust.

- Suikoden 5 i think i never played it perhaps i should considering ive seen it mentioned in a good light here.

EDIT: And obviously Suikoden 1 is also a FANTASTIC game but it gets overshadowed by its very similar sequel. Everything Suikoden 1 does well then its sequel suikoden 2 does 10 times better. suikoden 3 was a huge change in graphics and other areas so it carved out its own identity.

PS: There were some turn-based SRPG spin-off Suikoden games but I never played them.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Still not sure whether adding multiple runes in 2 was a mistake or not. On one hand it allowed some leeway to experiment with otherwise useless characters, on the other hand several two/three rune slot characters could solo the entire game (e.g. I had main character with Bright Shield, Resurrection and Darkness rune).

Hyperion

Arcane
It wasn't the multiple rune slots that caused problems, but multiple rune slots + weapon rune slots. It should have been multiple rune slots, or 1 slot + weapon slot.

3 runes on the Hero, and the Magic Regen on his weapon gave him literally unlimited healing magic.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Still not sure whether adding multiple runes in 2 was a mistake or not. On one hand it allowed some leeway to experiment with otherwise useless characters, on the other hand several two/three rune slot characters could solo the entire game (e.g. I had main character with Bright Shield, Resurrection and Darkness rune).

That's honestly a problem more because Suikoden 2 was piss easy even if you had only rudimentary understanding of its systems, short of some surprises game pulled on you. Runes were kinda balanced by the fact they operated on level-based count aka casting Level 1 spell of any Rune would deplete how many total Level 1 spells you had left across ALL Runes until you rested.

Jinn

Arcane
Suikoden V was actually a pretty nice return to form when it came out (after the very disappointing Suikoden IV anyway). Could have used more of the challenge that was present in III, but still a lot of fun. Hopefully if they do start making more Suikoden games, they'll round up some of the team who worked on that.

Then again, knowing Konami, they're probably just making a brand new Suikoden Series Pachinko machine!

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Suikoden V unfortunately turned the war minigame into an RTS, deviating from the immensely superior turn-based approach of 1-2.

What we always needed was a standalone Suikoden turn-based wargame anyway. :despair:

Deflowerer

Arcane
From what I've read, the old Suiko team doesn't exist. When it came to the new entries, it was outsourced or it was some new team, but iirc they said they don't give a shit about the series' world / legacy.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've never played Suikoden and I want to give it a try, do I play the Saturn or the PS version (or PSP version) (on emulator)?

Jinn

Arcane
I've never played Suikoden and I want to give it a try, do I play the Saturn or the PS version (or PSP version) (on emulator)?

I can't give much of an educated answer to this beyond that I played it on the PSX and it was great on that. Don't know why you'd want to play it on either Saturn or PSP instead. Go for the PSX.

Last edited:

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
The Saturn version has a couple additional story beats and an extra dungeon, but you can't import your save to the sequel (because there is none on the Saturn!) and it's only in Japanese. Go with Playstation.

Xeon

Augur
Yeah, I would recommend a PSX as well, Suikoden 2 has a mod that has bug fixes and whatever, so you can use that to import your save as well from S1 to S2 to S3 as well if you end up enjoying it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom