Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Your Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Frozen

Arcane
Morrowind is shit as any other TES hike, BG and RTwP should remain in the past, no point in re-creating 20+yo inferior clones (Pillows) Pathfinder is tasteless FUGLY boring generic shit for basement dwellers, and ELEX looks like it was made by your mom (Autistic Germans should burn with the greens and all other social democrats, DIE commie!)

Lemming42

Arcane
Most old games have aged horridly from a UX standpoint. Terrible UI, bad controls, barely any/no key remapping, and in the case of nearly every RPG: absurdly bad inventory management, etc.,
Is that really an unpopular opinion?

At least when it comes to computer gaming that is a big complain about old games made by people trying them out who didn't grow up with them, sure, you have people who manage to still have fun or get into some games, but overall, a lot of old games, particularly RPG's, would just be frustrating and annoying to a lot of gamers just by their menus and controls alone.

Not to say they are wrong or stupid, just that gaming changed a lot over the years when it comes to interfaces and controls.

Unpopular on the Codex, I think, or at least the Codex of a few years ago. Saying that (for example) the Gold Box games or Ultima had shitty interfaces was a good way to get roasted.

I think mainstream gaming opinion goes too far the other way, to the point where people consider Fallout 1/2 to be too clunky and frustrating to play. I get that Fallout's interface isn't quite as intuitive as it could be, especially the inventory, and I'd love to see someone put together a mod that improves on it and streamlines it, but anyone who finds Fallout genuinely incomprehensible or impossible to operate must be an actual child.

An Elder Scrolls Adventure: Redguard is a really fun little game and one of the few actually good ones that Bethesda made; the combat is simplistic, but the sense of adventure is nice

This is true. I loved the world and characters enough to suffer through the unthinkably bad controls. The part where you get turned into the weird gremlin thing and have to figure out how to ask people for help is fantastic, and Mariah has the most wonderful voice in videogame history.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

Despite what people say on other gaming forums, the world of gaming right now is in the worst state it has ever been in.

A bunch of weirdos working in attics and garages have given better and more memorable gaming experiences than any AAA developer can. Many of those developers today are still trying -- and failing -- to succeed those games from over two decades ago.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Crpgs as a whole are a disappointment and the ratio of bad/broken/disappointing/overrated games to actually good ones is very bad compared to most other genres.

The stealth games are generally rather meh. This (sub)genre has titles with excellent atmosphere that often really ooze the certain "this is still a time when gaming is cool and inclined" quality, but their core gameplay is simply too much "abuse the retarded ai. that's it. really. why are you still here".

There are exceptions of course, but the idea of gaming being some sort of elitist hobby in the past is mostly bs. Your average joe was playing (and enjoying) exactly the same titles we did and that we now considered monocled, provided his family could afford a computer.

Civilization was always a rather overrated series and not really in the same bracket as other classic 4X.

Starcraft was a good game in its own right, but was also a huge catalyst in the demise of classic rts. It was coming anyway, but Starcraft sped it up a whole lot.

BG owes its cult status to lucking out on release time and other external factors way more than it does to its actual qualities. Its popularity, together with the sequel, is also hands down one of the biggest factors in the catastrophic extinction of classic crpgs in the first decade of XXI century.

Fallout 2 is a much bigger game than Fallout 1 and has more stupid/unfinished shit, but also more good content. Contrary to popular "fish for kkk before you think" opinions, F2 worldbuilding at its best is way better than F1's.

Console action games with open world, inventory and stats are almost exclusively shit and the next step in the devolution of mainstream idea of crpgs. People championing for stuff like Witcher 3 are playing the role of decline enablers.

Old games aged poorly through poor UI is actually a very popular opinion that's also way overblown and pretty much a myth. Most modern crpgs have objectively horrible UI and I would take the UI of the popular crpgs from the nineties over them most of the time.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Console action games with open world, inventory and stats are almost exclusively shit and the next step in the devolution of mainstream idea of crpgs. People championing for stuff like Witcher 3 are playing the role of decline enablers.
This is not an unpopular opinion. This is the objective and incontrovertible truth.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
This is not an unpopular opinion. This is the objective and incontrovertible truth.
Quite a few games of this type are super popular on the codex.

Silentstorm

Learned
It's almost impossible for a new game to satisfy someone as much as the games they grew up with or that were released around that time, when you were young, games were still fresh and changing all the time, you didn't have years of gaming to compare to, you just had whatever games you could find.

Not only that, but it was much easier to forgive or like bad design choices because there was no alternative, who cares if there was no keymapping or awkward controls in quite a few games, that was pratically common, which means someone that has been gaming for a while is much more likely to adapt or even enjoy the style of old games.

Hell, who knows, maybe kids or teens nowadays really love and are impressed by the games they play nowadays just as much as the gamers of old generations loved the games they used to play when they were kids and they will be badmouthing future games for not having the same magic or amazing feel they had when they were kids.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hell, who knows, maybe kids or teens nowadays really love and are impressed by the games they play nowadays just as much as the gamers of old generations loved the games they used to play when they were kids and they will be badmouthing future games for not having the same magic or amazing feel they had when they were kids.
"Fuck this game, it doesn't even have lootboxes, how am I supposed to have fun?"

Codex Year of the Donut
"Fuck this game, it doesn't even have lootboxes, how am I supposed to have fun?"
1-900 tiplines & mandatory strategy guides were just as bad if not worse because many games were designed around you needing them to progress. A notorious example is Simon's quest.
Open up basically any manual from the late 90s or earlier and you'll find a hotline number to call for tips -- e.g., here's the fifth page of Baldur's Gate manual:
image.png

Codex Year of the Donut
Some classic games - namely Arcanum, Fallout 1 & 2, and Jagged Edge - are simply too outdated & surpassed for anyone playing now to be able to get into easily.
older classics would benefit heavily from a real EE that focuses only on UI rework/UX, it's easily one of the bigger hurdles for playing them IMO

FeelTheRads

Arcane
What is Jagged Edge, retard?

lol at surpassed. Yeah, we're totally drowning in similar better games.

Good post to weed out retards by checking who agrees with it, though.

Open up basically any manual from the late 90s or earlier and you'll find a hotline number to call for tips -- e.g., here's the fifth page of Baldur's Gate manual:

Fascinating. If you needed a hint line for Baldur's Gate you are possibly mentally challenged.

Not to say that this wasn't an actual practice, but BG is a stupid example, it doesn't mean that any game that had a hint line was designed for it. It was more like a standard thing to have for big companies which covered all their games rather than being aimed at specific games. That one for example was the Interplay hint line.

Silentstorm

Learned
Not every game was Castlevania II when it came to being obtuse.

Always wondered how it feels like to call a hint line, never called one when they were around and the closest experience i have is that one fake hint line in Monkey Island 2, i wonder if the people behind it just had a manual or walkthrough in their hands and would just look at something when a gamer called them asking for help?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Even for games that could be argued they were designed with hint lines in mind, there were alternatives if you really couldn't solve them. There were hints and walkthroughs published in magazines for example. My suspicion is hint lines were really for those with very limited brain ability. Indeed, very similar to the target audience of lootboxes.

Lemming42

Arcane
Some classic games - namely Arcanum, Fallout 1 & 2, and Jagged Edge - are simply too outdated & surpassed for anyone playing now to be able to get into easily.

What's inaccessible about Fallout, other than the inventory (thanks FeelTheRads for telling me about the mod btw)? I'm asking out of legit interest because a lot of people say Fallout is inaccessible and outdated, but it still seems overall well designed and accessible to me - especially when compared with some of the staggeringly bad cRPG interfaces from just a few years prior. Unless you mean gameplay elements beyond the UI, in which case I might agree, but again, Fallout doesn't feel notably different from a lot of 2010s turnbased games to me. "Fallout is inaccessible" is such a popular opinion that I can't tell anymore if I actually disagree with it or if I'm just so familiar with Fallout that I'm missing really obvious hurdles that a new player would face.

Strangely though, I'm going to agree with you on Arcanum and JA2. It's been too long for me to have any specific or useful criticisms, but I remember both of those games feeling like I was fighting against the game itself in a way that Fallout never did.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I'm asking out of legit interest because a lot of people say Fallout is inaccessible and outdated

My guess: Dumb newfags or butthurt Bethestards. Or both.
Bethestards are so severely butthurt that there people who don't like the shit games they like they actually make accounts here for trolling. To the point that, as I said before, I think there are more butthurt Bethestards here than Fallout fanboys, despite the popular belief that this is a Fallout fansite.

Generic-Giant-Spider

While this might look like bro-fist gathering, it's actually quite an unpopular opinion on nu-codex.

TEN BROFISTS ON THIS POST OR ELSE A GHOST WILL COME MURDER YOU AND YOUR FIVE CATS TONIGHT IN YOUR SLEEP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom