Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Thanks for the feedback my dudes. I'll give it a try I think. I've never been too much of a fan of pathfinder's madness of a ruleset but I only heard good things about the module and how they implemented it (besides the fact it takes 200 hours, meh).
If you are trying Pathfinder: Kingmaker for the first time, do yourself a favour and download Cheat Engine. You'll be walking A LOT and the default speed is humanly intolerable, with cheat engine you can bind different speed values to different keys (A, S and D work great for me). Without speedhacks, I wouldn't have been able to finish the game.

Codex Year of the Donut
Thanks for the feedback my dudes. I'll give it a try I think. I've never been too much of a fan of pathfinder's madness of a ruleset but I only heard good things about the module and how they implemented it (besides the fact it takes 200 hours, meh).
If you are trying Pathfinder: Kingmaker for the first time, do yourself a favour and download Cheat Engine. You'll be walking A LOT and the default speed is humanly intolerable, with cheat engine you can bind different speed values to different keys (A, S and D work great for me). Without speedhacks, I wouldn't have been able to finish the game.
Install the fast travel mod and increase out of combat movement speed. Accomplishes the same thing without speeding up the game world
Technically a cheat I guess but the amount of game time saved will be pretty tiny

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
There's still no mod or anything that allows stacks of 5 or something in the belt/quickslots?

:killit:
I don't understand why there's even a limitation, since you can pause the game and access the inventory freely. Now, that's not necessarily something I agree with (I think BG1 had it right; you shouldn't be able to access the inventory without the game unpausing, but BG1 also allowed stacks of 5) but since there isn't any limitation on accessing the inventory, why the fuck would you limit the belt/quickslots.

Codex Year of the Donut
There's still no mod or anything that allows stacks of 5 or something in the belt/quickslots?

I don't understand why there's even a limitation, since you can pause the game and access the inventory freely. Now, that's not necessarily something I agree with (I think BG1 had it right; you shouldn't be able to access the inventory without the game unpausing, but BG1 also allowed stacks of 5) but since there isn't any limitation on accessing the inventory, why the fuck would you limit the belt/quickslots.
Bag of tricks mod has an option to automatically resupply items in your belt after use.
I think it's bag of tricks, anyways.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
On a completely unrelated note, I can't fathom that they still haven't fixed the utterly gamebreaking bug that the Cat pet is called Tiger, the Red Panda pet is called Ember, the Owlcat pet is called Headchomper, but the Faerie Dragon is called... Faerie Dragon!

For whatever reason, the usable item for the Faerie Dragon is just called Faerie Dragon, not the actual name of the pet.

Literally unplayable.

Bag of tricks mod has an option to automatically resupply items in your belt after use.
I think it's bag of tricks, anyways.
Bag of Tricks have so many options that it's hard to navigate. It's a wonderful fucking thing. Thanks, I'll look for it.

Thonius

Arcane
I suggest turning multiple trys for lock picking. I dont think that's lockpicking got a rolls, so heck that's spares reloading time. Instead just buff your trickster a bit more.
Oh I'm retarded Lockpicking got rolls... Anyhow still one try on one level is kinda suck.

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I suggest turning multiple trys for lock picking. I dont think that's lockpicking got a rolls, so heck that's spares reloading time. Instead just buff your trickster a bit more.
Oh I'm retarded Lockpicking got rolls... Anyhow still one try on one level is kinda suck.
Worse: No take 10

Crichton

Prophet
I finally finished this a couple days ago and I have to say that this is probably the biggest pleasant surprise for me since SR: Dragonfall. When they announced this thing, I saw RTwP, cartoony graphics, garbage NPCs, etc and had my expectations way down. But in spite of all those things, this was a game that kept me entertained for ~200 hours (OK, the last two chapters are crap, so maybe it's 185).

It has all the character-building of NWN2 with a better engine, more exploration, better encounter design and even a few interesting quests. It may not be the best of this new generation of party-based RPGs, but if you consider that this is the first game from a new studio put together out of spare parts and funded by kickstarter, it is an incredible achievement, every bit as surprising as the clowns who made SR: Dead Man's Switch turning into the geniuses who made SR: Dragonfall.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I finally finished this a couple days ago and I have to say that this is probably the biggest pleasant surprise for me since SR: Dragonfall. When they announced this thing, I saw RTwP, cartoony graphics, garbage NPCs, etc and had my expectations way down. But in spite of all those things, this was a game that kept me entertained for ~200 hours (OK, the last two chapters are crap, so maybe it's 185).

It has all the character-building of NWN2 with a better engine, more exploration, better encounter design and even a few interesting quests. It may not be the best of this new generation of party-based RPGs, but if you consider that this is the first game from a new studio put together out of spare parts and funded by kickstarter, it is an incredible achievement, every bit as surprising as the clowns who made SR: Dead Man's Switch turning into the geniuses who made SR: Dragonfall.
What’s so good about SR: Dragonfall? Don’t know about it.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Well it's better than Shadowrun, more or less. You have a base, interesting companions, and choices are better.

It's like first one is NWN1, and latter are like add-ons to NWN or NWN2. Nobody plays NWN for NWN, they play it for hotu/sou/motb/zehir.

and for dance with roguey

Crichton

Prophet
It may not be the best of this new generation of party-based RPGs

Which of these new generation of RPGs do you consider to be better than Kingmaker?

Without derailing this thread into another stupid "BEST RPG POLL", I'd put Divinity: Original Sin, Shadowrun: Dragonfall and Shadowrun: Hong Kong all above Kingmaker. I just started the TB version of Deadfire, which promises to be better as well; I'd put RTwP Deadfire and Kingmaker about on a level (and who knows, maybe when the dust settles one day we'll get a solid TB version of Kingmaker...). Tastes vary, but for me, Deadfire and Kingmaker were both entertaining adventures with the occasional interesting set-piece encounter, both stuffed to the gills with clusterfuck "raining damage numbers" combat.

I think Kingmaker does a good job of providing the player with interesting systems to play around with, particularly with all the possible combinations of spells and abilities, and also with itemization. But from a content standpoint, it's mostly just tolerable; NPCs are simple caricatures, dialog is cringy, artwork is garish, etc. The companions are a particular low point given how much spoken dialog they all have; when I work up the energy for a 2nd playthrough, I'm only taking Ekundayo. And on that subject, I want to call MCA out here, Nok-nok and his quest are complete trash; he's fucking phoning it in.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
It may not be the best of this new generation of party-based RPGs

Which of these new generation of RPGs do you consider to be better than Kingmaker?

Without derailing this thread into another stupid "BEST RPG POLL", I'd put Divinity: Original Sin, Shadowrun: Dragonfall and Shadowrun: Hong Kong all above Kingmaker. I just started the TB version of Deadfire, which promises to be better as well; I'd put RTwP Deadfire and Kingmaker about on a level (and who knows, maybe when the dust settles one day we'll get a solid TB version of Kingmaker...). Tastes vary, but for me, Deadfire and Kingmaker were both entertaining adventures with the occasional interesting set-piece encounter, both stuffed to the gills with clusterfuck "raining damage numbers" combat.

I think Kingmaker does a good job of providing the player with interesting systems to play around with, particularly with all the possible combinations of spells and abilities, and also with itemization. But from a content standpoint, it's mostly just tolerable; NPCs are simple caricatures, dialog is cringy, artwork is garish, etc. The companions are a particular low point given how much spoken dialog they all have; when I work up the energy for a 2nd playthrough, I'm only taking Ekundayo. And on that subject, I want to call MCA out here, Nok-nok and his quest are complete trash; he's fucking phoning it in.
Why would you not be playing with the turn-based mod if you clearly so want it?

deuxhero

Arcane
I've got to say, the name is rather apt: This game has some of the best pathfinding I've seen in an RPG of this type. Seriously, normally games choke when I order someone a few rooms away, but here the party can go from one end of the map to the other with one command, without running off to aggro random enemies and they stay in formation the entire time! I also appreciate that clicking on things with the whole party selected automaticly picks the best (for skill checks) or nearest (for looting) person without unselecting the others.

Been playing a slyvan sorcerer focused on buffing the animal companion and party. Just cleared the mines. Couldn't negotiate a peace since this either required a neutral alignment or not defeating the mite queen before finding the stolen stuff (no idea if that would have changed dialog). Party (PC, Archer/Summoner Cleric, Arcane Trickster, Bloodrager, plus Linzi, and Amiri) is all level 3 (1000 XP from level) or 4 right now and I'm off to kill the stag lord with plenty of time left for the 30 day kill bonus.

Whats the deal with the Mite clerics? They've got HP and spells of level 3 clerics, but are everywhere and barely give XP.

Sure, it's a fantasy RPG
Something being a fantasy RPG doesn't necessitate it being a cheesy Tolkien clone. Obviously this does because they used an established IP of a Tolkien clone world, but something based on REH's hyborian age would be cool.

Also Arcanum was well done despite having all the typical Tolkien clone, DND setting stuff like dwarves, elves etc, the cheese was kept to a minimum.
Well this is just a matter of opinion. You can think PFKM is a cheesy Tolkien clone and there's probably good reason to think that way, but there's also good reason to say that PFKM executes it's themes and world elements competently. Personally i don't agree with PFKM being a Tolkien clone other than the races being called elves, and orcs and stuff. I mean for one, the world of PFKM is way more morally gray than black and white as in Tolkien. There's a lot of similairty between the themes of PFKM and Arcanum too imho.
Interestingly, I think that PF:K pulls Pathfinder off better than Pathfinder does. Golarion is a massive fucking kitchen-sink of awful, with some of the shittiest characterizations and interpretations of common tropes imaginable. Despite this, PF:K manages to deftly avoid most of this, and even when meeting the Technic League they don't suddenly have laz0rs pew pew, despite the fact that by the world fluff itself, they would have every legitimate reason to do so. The way PF:K manages to ignore all the stupid while upholding its own sense of internal consistency, creating a reasonably coherent experience, is actually extremely well done, especially considering it having been made by veteran Pathfinder players who may not even consider things like this weird or out of place, because if you live in the kitchen sink, you eventually become blind to it.

This is what every Forgotten Realms game does. Toril is a horrible setting full of stupid shit even before you count all the stupid fetish shit Ed Greenwood shoved in it (There are brothels in every town. There's a species of all female dragons that are biologically required to fuck human men. Elminster's increasingly deviant sexual partners. ect.).

Eberron is the only official D&D setting worth using.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I used to be really hyped for Eberron when it released (won the contest for setting proposal). The social political climate was interesting and the detective novel/pulp nuances felt original to me at that time. Never played anything on it though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom