Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Your Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Far Cry 2 is one of the greatest games of all time.
Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon would have gotten my brofist.

My own unpopular opinion would be that Underrail and Alpha Protocol are trash.

Puteo

Learned
Jagged Alliance 2's interface is fucking awful and impossible to enjoy for anyone who did not learn it as a child with their limitless free time.

There is no reason, aside from extreme boredom, to play it over the Silent Storm games.

Machocruz

Arcane
I first played Jagged Alliance 2 about 5 years ago, and I soon recognized it as the best the genre ever saw. So nah, it has never been surpassed. I don't swill moonshine while playing games, so I had no trouble at all with the interface or anything. I got a real kick out of the strategic map layer too, airlifting and dropping off my squad, claiming and reclaiming territory. If Silent Storm had that and the modern merc theme, I might agree that it surpassed JA2. The environmental destruction is sublime.

Falksi

Arcane
Some classic games - namely Arcanum, Fallout 1 & 2, and Jagged Edge - are simply too outdated & surpassed for anyone playing now to be able to get into easily.

What's inaccessible about Fallout, other than the inventory (thanks FeelTheRads for telling me about the mod btw)? I'm asking out of legit interest because a lot of people say Fallout is inaccessible and outdated, but it still seems overall well designed and accessible to me - especially when compared with some of the staggeringly bad cRPG interfaces from just a few years prior. Unless you mean gameplay elements beyond the UI, in which case I might agree, but again, Fallout doesn't feel notably different from a lot of 2010s turnbased games to me. "Fallout is inaccessible" is such a popular opinion that I can't tell anymore if I actually disagree with it or if I'm just so familiar with Fallout that I'm missing really obvious hurdles that a new player would face.

Strangely though, I'm going to agree with you on Arcanum and JA2. It's been too long for me to have any specific or useful criticisms, but I remember both of those games feeling like I was fighting against the game itself in a way that Fallout never did.

It's been quite some time since I tried it, so would have to go back to give details. I just remember reading all the hype about them on here, downloading them, and not being able to get into any of them no matter how hard I tried.

I played BG1 & 2 first time round, so absolutely thrive on both those games, but again will freely admit that both are just too much of a pain in the arse to play to really enjoy nowadays (pissed-up pathfinding the issues with those 2)

For me there really was a nice evolution for these games in the likes of Dragon Age: Origins & Fallout NV/3, which should have continued. Sadly it didn't.

Silentstorm

Learned
There is no reason, aside from extreme boredom, to play it over the Silent Storm games.
Look at my username, just look at it, and now i will say that nope, Jagged Alliance 2 is better.

Anyways, i actually don't mind the first two Fallout games at all, but that may be because i played them years ago before Steam was even a thing, think i still have the boxes and all somewhere(though now i just use digital versions) so maybe i just played them at the right time, but i don't recall the games being too confusing, in fact, i thought they were more easy to understand than a lot of other RPG games.

Baldur's Gate from what i remember is a bit harder to get into but still not that bad as some people say, when i think of games with annoying interfaces, i tend to think of other older games instead.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Fallout’s UI is worse than the keyboard UI’s that came before it.

Comfort wise.

Silentstorm

Learned
Jazz Jackrabbit is just a worse version of Sonic but with guns, i mean, Jazz has great things about it and it's not as if Sonic doesn't have the issue of moving too fast and hitting an obstacle because you couldn't see it in time as well sometimes, but man, Sonic just had more interesting levels and was just more fun.

I will say that Jazz is my favorite Epic franchise, mostly because Unreal and Gears Of War are so generic i tend to forget everything about them except for the Flak Cannon and the Bio Rifle weapons along other weapons.

I actually wouldn't mind if they announced a new Jazz game but Epic hasn't been into that kind of gaming for a long time now.

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
RTS games with base building are cancer.
Half-Life 2 is overrated shit.
Bioware has never made a good game.
All Unreal Tournaments after the first one sucked balls.
Shenmue is trash.
All metal gear games except for 3 and Revengeance are shit.
All of Suda 51 games are hipster trash.
Liking traps doesn't make you gay.

Insert Title Here
Fallout 4 dialogue is the same as 3 and NV where you typically have four-ish choices in any given dialogue prompt, being either yes, no, [request lore], the edgy option, or just saying goodbye. Therefore people crying about the dialogue wheel as if earlier games actually had deeper RP elements are just dum dums who got trolled by a different visual format for the exact same thing they liked before.

The voiced protag sucks for RP though, that part is popular and correct.

Lemming42

Arcane
- Only zoomer girls play RPGs for the story.

I'll go completely the other way into a probably equally unpopular view and say that videogames, including RPGs, often succeed more on story and setting than anything else. I used to think gameplay was above all else before I realised a lot of my favourite games are mechanically flawed or basic and succeed based on sound and visual design and interesting settings.

Look through the Codex Top 70. Planet Escape: Tournament, Fallout, Arcanum, Bloodlines, Morrowind, New Vegas, Deus Ex... a lot of these games are more about reading engaging stories and exploring fascinating worlds than gameplay. In some cases the gameplay (PST combat) is annoying shit that you only tolerate because you're there for the story, world and characters.

Insert Title Here
Look through the Codex Top 70. Planet Escape: Tournament, Fallout, Arcanum, Bloodlines, Morrowind, New Vegas, Deus Ex... a lot of these games are more about reading engaging stories and exploring fascinating worlds than gameplay. In some cases the gameplay (PST combat) is annoying shit that you only tolerate because you're there for the story, world and characters.

All of those games have good gameplay except Planescape though. Which is why I don't care too much for that game, so there's another unpopular opinion.

Lemming42

Arcane
All of those games have good gameplay except Planescape though. Which is why I don't care too much for that game, so there's another unpopular opinion.

To take three examples:

Fallout's combat is decent, but I doubt anyone would want a game where you have a series of Fallout-style combat encounters without any context of who you're fighting and why. The fight against the Deathclaw is fun because of the whole quest leading up to it, where Harold and Beth tell you what you're in for. The fight against Lou is fun because you've had to infiltrate the foreboding mutant-controlled Mariposa base and you're finally facing one of the major players in the Unity, etc.

Morrowind is dodgy combat, slow walk speed (for the first hours anyway), and all the rest. The only gameplay element that really works is creating your own magic spells and enchantments to break the game apart, everything else is basically just tolerated because the world is so incredible to explore and interact with. Again, would you buy a game that's just Morrowind combat with no connection to the TES world?

Deus Ex is another one, because I think the FPS combat is objectively terrible and the stealth is like a retarded version of Thief. Deus Ex admittedly isn't just about the setting, it's also about the outstanding map design and the satisfaction of creating/finding your own ways to overcome or avoid challenges, but it's still all in service of going deeper into the story.

Codex Year of the Donut
Fallout's combat is decent
rating_citation.png

Okagron

Prophet
Strong argument bro.
It's not even the reason why the dialogue wheel is shit: the reason that is as so is because there's always four options at all times. This is limiting because at all times there needs to be four options regardless if it makes sense (there are several times where two of the options are the exact same thing and i mean the same exact thing). Sometimes a NPC only needs three dialogue options and other times it needs five options, this basically removes that restriction.

Fallout 4 dialogue is the same as 3 and NV where you typically have four-ish choices in any given dialogue prompt, being either yes, no, [request lore], the edgy option, or just saying goodbye.
For NV at least, this is an huge crock of bullshit and you know it.

And then there's the fact there's hardly any good dialogue options or choices in Fallout 4. So even if it didn't had this restriction, the dialogue system would still be terrible. So your "argument" is absolute trash and it's made even worse when Todd Howard admited the dialogue wheel "didn't worked as well".

https://www.pcgamer.com/fallout-4-lead-todd-howard-dialogue-system-didnt-work-as-well/

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane

Come on, it's decent. There's some awful encounter design like the tanker basement in Fo2 but for the most part encounters are relatively short and tense, there's a good variety of enemies and weapons, the audio-visual element is great, your stats relate to your abilities in a good way where you can feel the effects of investing in your combat skills, and it's overall fun or at least not actively annoying like in too many other cRPGs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom