Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
oh D&D setting fight, now that's
rating_prestigious.png

Cael

Arcane
It may not be the best of this new generation of party-based RPGs

Which of these new generation of RPGs do you consider to be better than Kingmaker?

Without derailing this thread into another stupid "BEST RPG POLL", I'd put Divinity: Original Sin, Shadowrun: Dragonfall and Shadowrun: Hong Kong all above Kingmaker. I just started the TB version of Deadfire, which promises to be better as well; I'd put RTwP Deadfire and Kingmaker about on a level (and who knows, maybe when the dust settles one day we'll get a solid TB version of Kingmaker...). Tastes vary, but for me, Deadfire and Kingmaker were both entertaining adventures with the occasional interesting set-piece encounter, both stuffed to the gills with clusterfuck "raining damage numbers" combat.

I think Kingmaker does a good job of providing the player with interesting systems to play around with, particularly with all the possible combinations of spells and abilities, and also with itemization. But from a content standpoint, it's mostly just tolerable; NPCs are simple caricatures, dialog is cringy, artwork is garish, etc. The companions are a particular low point given how much spoken dialog they all have; when I work up the energy for a 2nd playthrough, I'm only taking Ekundayo. And on that subject, I want to call MCA out here, Nok-nok and his quest are complete trash; he's fucking phoning it in.
Any RPG that allow full party creation (including Gold Box) is better than most RPG that force NPCs on you a la bugmaker and NWN2.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
P:K is 7th on the steam global bestseller list. I can be smug now in saying that I predicted this. :smug:

But let us examine why it is going strong after so much time; it is Game: the Game. Everything is well baked into the gameplay and the story. Nothing is absolutely extraordinary, but nothing makes people angry.

By that metric PUBG is THE GAME then....and don't know what Global Bestseller list this is when I see it at 20+

GPHMMul.jpg

Cael

Arcane
Any RPG that allow full party creation (including Gold Box) is better than most RPG that force NPCs on you a la bugmaker and NWN2.
But Kingmaker allows full party creation. :hmmm:
It also FORCES NPCs on you, which makes it shit because now you have to deal with their demands and idiocy. Or you lose out.

Games with NPCs like that are nothing but dev power trips, sort of like Ed Greenwood and fucking Elminster.

Brancaleone

Liturgist
Nothing is absolutely extraordinary, but nothing makes people angry.

Same as the secret behind BG2's success: every facet of the game is done at least competently, with some of them at a good, or even very good level. Since an RPG is typically the fusion of many genres/mechanics/concepts, it is unsurprising that such approach tends to work best. What is really surprising is how many developers seem not to understand such a simple thing.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane

Same as the secret behind BG2's success: every facet of the game is done at least competently, with some of them at a good, or even very good level. Since an RPG is typically the fusion of many genres/mechanics/concepts, it is unsurprising that such approach tends to work best. What is really surprising is how many developers seem not to understand such a simple thing.
Too busy shoveling their agenda down people's throats to listen.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Behead those who insult Nok-Nok. My only disappointment with him is that you cannot make him an advisor or abdicate your throne and become a vassal to him.
Some of the advisor choices are just ass.
  • Nok-Nok cannot be the spymaster.
  • Barty cannot be the arcane advisor.
  • Varn cannot be regent.
It leaves me with so many fucking questions, because Nok-Nok is practically an assassin archetype, Barty is a sage wizard and scientist, and Varn was literally the regent.
It's one of those small things in the game that really annoys me.
oh D&D setting fight, now that's
rating_prestigious.png
Planescape, Dark Sun, Starjammer, Forgotten Realms, Eberron. That order, no exceptions.

Fite me.

Last edited:

Efe

Erudite
i disagree on nok nok.
being an assassin and being a spymaster arent the same

Brancaleone

Liturgist

Too busy shoveling their agenda down people's throats to listen.
Or following the "your tastes are wrong, I shall change them" approach.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
New community manager: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-kingmaker/posts/2536832

Enhanced Edition, "Beneath the Stolen Lands" DLC and other news

Hey there, everyone!

We thought it'd be a good idea to get in touch with you and let you know about things that have been happening with the game you helped bring to life.

Firstly, we've just released the Enhanced Edition of Pathfinder: Kingmaker! It's a new, updated and improved version of the game, and it's available for free to everyone who owns a basic version of the game. Enhanced Edition features:
  • a new class - the Slayer,
  • a new prestige class - the Aldori Swordlord,
  • new items,
  • new mobs,
  • a respec option,
  • using mercs as advisors,
  • faster running speed option,
  • buying BP straight from the kingdom management screen,
  • numerous balance and UI improvements,
and much more! To check it out, just log onto Steam, and it'll automatically download the new version as part of an update. You can also read the full patch notes here if you'd like.

On the same day as Enhanced Edition, we've released the third DLC that we've promised to you - "Beneath the Stolen Lands"! Have you ever wondered what would an endless rogue-like CRPG dungeon look and play like? Well, wonder no more - just check it out for yourself!

Finally, we'd also like for you to welcome our community manager Mortheim! You may know him from GoG or Steam, and now he will also be your main contact on Kickstarter. As such, the kotarsis@owlcatgames.com mail will not be working anymore - for all inquiries, please, contact team@owlcatgames.com or alexey.o@owlcatgames.com.

As for me, I will be stepping down from this duty. You are a wonderful community, and I'm thankful that I got a chance to spend more time with all of you. Don't get too sad, though - you can still catch me on our studio streams over at Twitch, as well as on our Discord server!

P.S. For those who haven't had the time to download their game yet, or cannot figure out how to do so, or are having troubles with their physical rewards shipments - please, do not worry, we're here for you. Just drop a letter to one of the aforementioned e-mail addresses, and we'll do our best to help!

A bit late but maybe now there will finally be Kickstarter updates that aren't advertisements for Paizo products.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
i disagree on nok nok.
being an assassin and being a spymaster arent the same
Clearly you and I have completely different expectations on our spymasters.

:smug:

On a more serious note, I do realize that it's a very different type of "spymaster", but it's honestly not that different from choosing Reg as your General. He's clearly not a General type of character, but more of a thug or mercenary at best. But that's fine; if you want a thug as your General, that's definitely a choice, and it makes some sense. It's the same with Nok-Nok. It's not going to be the same type of spymaster as, say, Jubilost, but no more different than having Ekundayo.

Nok-Nok would obviously be "Stab first, ask later, maybe". And I'd be fine with that. Just fuck my shit up, but please, give me the choice.

Codex Year of the Donut
On a more serious note, I do realize that it's a very different type of "spymaster", but it's honestly not that different from choosing Reg as your General. He's clearly not a General type of character, but more of a thug or mercenary at best
It's implied that he received formal military education as a slave. AFAIU, they were closer to antiquity slaves than cotton pickers.

Shadenuat

Arcane
You may know him from ... Steam.
Oh, so that's the SocJus gaywad that banned me for no good reason, and he ended up getting a promotion?

:argh:
Tbh he also banned a tumblr girl on steam a few times to the point that she almost raged while she was arguing over feminism. Although Waves of Exhaustion metaguy baited her on purpose to go down in flames together with her.

Only for 2 days but there was peace...

...and then it all began anew.

I got a few warnings so far but did not get banned, but I do not cross the line and carefully maneuvre around trolling and being a good demon.

Imo the most hilarious troll (and I am not even sure he is trolling) is Dixon. He just fanboys in a hilariously open way.

He began by claiming that Unfair is worst designed game he ever played but after finishing game now claims this is the best game he ever played in his life etc.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
Ok, I'm finally going to buy this game thanks the 50% discount at Steam. Just one question, tho: is the season pass worth it?
You gotta be shitting me. I bought this game less than a week ago full price and it was fucking 50% off yesterday? Fuck me

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
All announced DLC are out. Owlcat future plans are mystery.

At least they added DLC-upgrade to Imperial Edition for cute panda. Bought it for glorious price of 173 rubles yesterday.

Owlcat has heavily hinted that they are well into pre-production on Pathfinder 2. The general consensus in the fan community is that it’s most likely to be Ironfang Invasion, but there are a couple other APs that it could be. They have explicitly stated that they are not working on a direct sequel to Kingmaker (I.e no char import/epic levels).

Somewhat more surprisingly they also declined to confirm that Beneath the Stolen Lands was the final DLC in the pipeline. Could just be not wanting to close a door unnecessarily, but if there is actually another DLC in development it would imply Kingmaker’s DLC sold better than expected (and better than DLCs generally do).

Last edited:

Thonius

Arcane
Well that update just confirmed ^^^. Kotarsis aka game writer and part time community dude is no longer community dude, probably because he is too busy working on next game/DLC.

PapaPetro

Owlcat has heavily hinted that they are well into pre-production on Pathfinder 2. The general consensus in the fan community is that it’s most likely to be Ironfang Invasion, but there are a couple other APs that it could be. They have explicitly stated that they are not working on a direct sequel to Kingmaker (I.e no char import/epic levels).

Somewhat more surprisingly they also declined to confirm that Beneath the Stolen Lands was the final DLC in the pipeline. Could just be not wanting to close a door unnecessarily, but if there is actually another DLC in development it would imply Kingmaker’s DLC sold better than expected (and better than DLCs generally do).
You think Pathfinder 2 will meet competition from Realms Beyond?

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Ok, I'm finally going to buy this game thanks the 50% discount at Steam. Just one question, tho: is the season pass worth it?
You gotta be shitting me. I bought this game less than a week ago full price and it was fucking 50% off yesterday? Fuck me

Owlcat thanks you for your support. The rest of us wonder why you would buy the game, or really any game, one week before the summer sale.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

If you haven't played much yet you can refund.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom