Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best RPG Settings/Universes

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Apart from the obvious ones like Darklands and Morrowind, I liked the rather low fantasy, sub arctic setting of Aleshar: World of Ice.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I really want to see Morrowind with modern graphics

Well, before it was covered in ash too
MGSO (Morrowind Graphics Overhaul) does wonders for improving the technical aspects of Morrowind's graphics while retaining their incredible aesthetics.

XtLJVRC.jpg

QOKmBhg.jpg

O3JMtoc.jpg

vgv5hzQ.jpg

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
As a side note, what are some settings/universes that would translate into amazing RPG's?

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
As a side note, what are some settings/universes that would translate into amazing RPG's?
Philippines post Austro-Pinoy war of 2082.
I made that up, okay.
While you did make that up, I think an alternate history RPG would be pretty cool. Something based off of the Kaiserreich mod for example, from the game Darkest Hour. It's an alternative history module where Germany manages to win WW1 and dominates post war Europe. It'd be really cool to see an RPG based off of either a resistance movement or the politics of such a time. Alternatively, you can do something based off of the Crusades and really make some sort of an ethical dilemma and have interesting commentary on religion.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
What about the fact they chose to build the town around A BOMB?
One of the characters explained that there was a lot of scrap nearby and the crater offered a good defensive position or something among those lines. Last I played Fallout 3 was like 5 years ago though.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
I think that the setting of Total annihilation: kingdoms would make a fun rpg. Like the mentioned before sacrifice, it has an interesting manual detailing the lore of Darien.

I also think that the first age of wonders is a great example of a good high-fantasy.

Binky

Cipher
Edit: In Age of Decadence you also have Roman Empire and Indiana Jones vibes. Plus it's a setting based on Clarke's law: "Every sufficiently advanced technology is unrecognisable from magic" which isn't something used very often in CRPG, sadly imo.

Oh, I agree. But what most impressed me was the way slavery, torture, and capital punishment were presented: as something completely natural, common. Some guy talks about the death of his slaves like he's talking about broken furniture. Need some info from a captured agent of a rival House? To the torture chambers - gotta follow correct procedure. People on crosses in every city.
At no point does you character
a) Say slavery is wrong
b) Yell "You monsters! They're human beings!"
c) Lead a slave uprising
d) Start crying while Adagio for Strings plays in the background

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Original settings is a total waste if not backed by original and interesting PC and followers, also, it has to show in-game, not just in the dialogs/manual.

So Here's my list :
1 - Planescape Torment (what else ? )
2 - Tyranny
3 - KotOR (s)
4 - Wizardry (it's not just the settings but the factions )
5 - Dungeon Keeper (well, it's not a RPG but no less than a couple of games listed in the 70th cRPG list from the codex and it was a REVOLUTION, just like Planescape)
6 - Fallout (s) : Although the immersion increases when you can hire Marcus the Super Mutant and the zombie, Lenny or something (whom should have been better, damn them )

Momock

Augur
The Trails series is the one that makes this shandification-thing the best. Everything in the world/setting (witch is medieval fantasy gone through industrial revolution ultra quick) has a reason to be the way it is, it affects you and the quests you do directly and you can learn in great detail how everything works by talking to the NPCs and observing their lives (and not by shitty infodumps like in the CRPGs).

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Planescape
Dark sun
Pillars of eternity (aaaan that was a joke)

ManaJunkie

Arbiter
I miss the crazy mixed science-fiction/fantasy settings of savant wizardry, m&m or masters of the universe.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
[...]

Wasn't funny ... ;-)

I miss the crazy mixed science-fiction/fantasy settings of savant wizardry, m&m or masters of the universe.

Mmmmm, masters of the universe ?
Aside from the animated movie/series, all i could find is a pen & paper RPG rulebook, a new "beat'em all" on jolt and an adventure/action game on PS2.

Are you talking about the latter or did i miss something interesting (you can't put something that's not amazing in a sentence with Wizardry and Might & Magic, it's forbidden by the Geneva conventions )

Cael

Arcane
While it takes a while to get to the point, and I don't necessarily think Fallout 3 was a good game, this concept of "shandification" is a really good one. I always look for ways to make the setting more real and more immersive. Seeing regular towns folk walking around, explanations for how things function, how people get their food, etc, are all a part of what makes a game an immersive one. You see a lot of this in the classic IE games, the original Fallout games and NV, you see it in Underrail; though I haven't yet played Arcanum and some of the other classics, I'm sure you see it there as well.

So that takes me to my question, what are some of your favorite settings in RPG's that you'd like to see more done with. Underrail is what comes to my mind atm, as that's what I've been playing.
Let me introduce you to Ultima 7.

All those you named? Mere dilettantes.

imweasel

Off the top of my head:

pre-Bethesda Fallout
Forgotten Realms
Planescape
Vampire the Masquerade
Shadowrun

ManaJunkie

Arbiter
[...]

Wasn't funny ... ;-)

Mmmmm, masters of the universe ?
Aside from the animated movie/series, all i could find is a pen & paper RPG rulebook, a new "beat'em all" on jolt and an adventure/action game on PS2.

Are you talking about the latter or did i miss something interesting (you can't put something that's not amazing in a sentence with Wizardry and Might & Magic, it's forbidden by the Geneva conventions )

Not a single good game with He-Man available. But imagine a party with Orko, Man-at-arms and Sorceress. Or a evil party with Skeletor and Evil-Lyn....
NOT AWESOME is blasphemy.....that was the only good thing behind the iron curtain as i was a kid.....

The Great ThunThun*

How DARE you!?
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The secret world is the best setting out there. The second best is arcanum. Age of decadence, Fallout are great as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom