Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Google Stadia - "a game streaming service for everyone"

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to hide.

Thane Solus

Arcane
They basically forced all companies and users (with upgrades) to change to Windows 10, for nothing, its a bit faster and thats it.
I still haven't seen any real proof win 10 is faster than 7. 10 (just like 8) is 7 with useless crap (for users) added on top.
Windows 10 loads much faster on my main rig, compared to Win 7.

Not "a little faster".

I'm not a fan of the WAAS, but I have had zero issues with any of my games new or old on W10. About to reinstall Ultima 2, will report if I have difficulties but U5 played just fine a couple months ago.

I think most of the W10 complaints (not based on the bad update program (WAAS)) are things moved around in the settings/renamed/obscured, GUI annoyances, and retardation of most "gamers" that can't be arsed to read the readme when they install a game or mod.

I was an early adopter, as I've always been. Get on Paul Thurrott's site and figure it out.

With a good SSD, i dont think you will see any difference. Without SSD its probably a big one.

abija

Prophet

Not "a little faster".
Maybe it resumes faster from the fake shutdown. Do a proper reboot and time them. I have no problems with 10 either, but it was the same with 7. And 7 was in desktop fully loaded faster than 10 starts loading the delayed startup stuff.
Also, I've seen several laptops with slow hdds crumbled by win 10 which I never noticed on 7.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected

Not "a little faster".
Maybe it resumes faster from the fake shutdown. Do a proper reboot and time them. I have no problems with 10 either, but it was the same with 7. And 7 was in desktop fully loaded faster than 10 starts loading the delayed startup stuff.
Also, I've seen several laptops with slow hdds crumbled by win 10 which I never noticed on 7.
Regarding laptops, no argument. Win10 made my HDD on the GW75 sputter pretty bad, while it had loaded decently as a W7 device.

When I upgraded to an SSD on that laptop, it became lightning fast. In short, W10 does not like spinning drives. That I'll give you.

Edit: regarding full shutdown/reboot - no, it's significantly faster on W10. On main rig and laptop. Main had an SSD before W10 migration.

Last edited:

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
That's solely due to improvements that already existed in Win8 like fast startup. Windows 8 was meant to run on atom tablets and ARM garbage and that's where they did most of those optimizations first.

It's only things like OS launch and memory footprint on lower ram hardware that is affected. Runtime performance is identical, you ain't getting higher FPS in games by running 10.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
That's solely due to improvements that already existed in Win8 like fast startup. Windows 8 was meant to run on atom tablets and ARM garbage and that's where they did most of those optimizations first.

It's only things like OS launch and memory footprint on lower ram hardware that is affected. Runtime performance is identical, you ain't getting higher FPS in games by running 10.
Yes.

Never claimed that W10 improves gayming. I have concluded that it doesn't negatively affect gaming though, as many shitposters here and everywhere like to claim.

The only noticeable difference between the OSes, for me, is the startup time. Only reason I mention it.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
But as I said, there's no real diff with 8 on that matter too. You missed the inbetween OS release. There was something after 7 and before 10. 10dindunuffin besides bringing the full screen shit start menu into a not full screen but still shit menu and taking away control over updates.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
I did upgrade to 8.1, briefly. As soon as 10 was available I went to it, as the GUI changes in 8.0 made me want to burn the office down. Laptop skipped 8 completely as a result.

I'm not arguing with you... I don't like the update program, it is almost universally panned.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
as the GUI changes in 8.0 made me want to burn the office down.
Was it really so hard to install classic shell?
I don't know. I don't install indie 3rd party software to modify my OS. I modify it myself with setup and then whatever I learn from the world.

I did a default install of 8, nearly bashed my keyboard through my monitor, nuked it and started over with a custom install CD. Made windows 8 behave decently enough without some randomware. Your solution was for basic users or lazy people.

Melcar

Arcane
Windows 8 was cancer supreme with a side of large fries. Windows 10 fixed most of what W8 did but introduced a shitload of other problems (still a lot more usable than W8 however). It has been getting better over time, but fuck, it took them a while. With this last major update it feels mostly right for the main uses I have it for (office PC for Excel spreadsheets and internet).

I only used Windows 8 for about a day before going back to Windows 7. I finally upgraded when Windows 8.1 came out. It was quite an improvement. The Start Screen still sucked, but I was more or less able to avoid using it entirely.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
https://www.theverge.com/platform/a...-phil-harrison-internet-speed-streaming-games

Ok... Yes the source is hot garbage. However, so is the moronic Google rep quoted in it. Some of the fabulous optimism/utter retardation of this company that some cucks think is "so smart". Please.

“The ISPs have a strong history of staying ahead of consumer trend and if you look at the history of data caps in those small number of markets ... the trend over time, when music streaming and download became popular, especially in the early days when it was not necessarily legitimate, data caps moved up,” explained Harrison. “Then with the evolution of TV and film streaming, data caps moved up, and we expect that will continue to be the case.”

Harrison would go on to note that “ISPs are smart [and] they understand that they’re in the business of keeping customers happy and keeping customers with them for a long time”

Has this dipshit ever been to Oklahoma? Nebraska?

Google’s Phil Harrison isn’t worried about ISP data caps for Stadia
‘ISPs are smart [and] they understand that they’re in the business of keeping customers happy.’

stadia.0.jpg

Image: Google
One of the questions surrounding data-hungry streaming services like Project Stadia is how they’ll manage with things like data caps, which some home internet services place strict limits on (similar to cellular data). But in an interview with GameSpot, Phil Harrison, vice president and general manager of Google, doesn’t seem too concerned that it’ll be an issue.

“The ISPs have a strong history of staying ahead of consumer trend and if you look at the history of data caps in those small number of markets ... the trend over time, when music streaming and download became popular, especially in the early days when it was not necessarily legitimate, data caps moved up,” explained Harrison. “Then with the evolution of TV and film streaming, data caps moved up, and we expect that will continue to be the case.”

launch this fall for early adopters ahead of a wider rollout in 2020.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
He's right that it would make no sense for ISPs to sabotage the future of media, because they're going to make lots of money from it. That's why the FCC and whatnot are working to let ISPs give services like Netflix exceptions to caps, and (at least where I live) there's no real caps anyway. Nebraska is a different challenge but like I said above, they've shown they're perfectly willing to write people off who live in rural bullshitville as long as the vast majority can and do use their services. Do you really think PC gaming today is even remotely geared towards people with poor internet? Hell no.

The tasty loss of any consumer rights, the consistent monthly revenue stream, the use of back catalogs that used to be worthless because of used discs... it's all way too tempting for corporations to let anything challenge it as the future. They'll figure it out for most and let the rest go.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Interesting. That would mean the game is un-piratable right? So when Stadia dies that game will be lost forever to history (Unless the dev somehow release it of course outside Stadia) ?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Interesting. That would mean the game is un-piratable right? So when Stadia dies that game will be lost forever to history (Unless the dev somehow release it of course outside Stadia) ?

I'd guess it's only exclusive for a certain time, but yeah that's the big concern with streaming exclusives. It's not like video where it can be captured. Once it's gone it's gone, assuming it never comes out another way. The vast majority of consumers don't give a shit though, so we're fucked.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah. What also has me curious, since it's a streaming exclusive is if the game will even have settings. Why would it? I guess resolution maybe.

Edit:

Realized consoles don't have settings either, but at least they exist in a format that you can keep around forever.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Every AAA game will soon enough be online only, as a way to sell DLC or for streaming reasons. We can fight it, but I do not see it not happening in my lifetime.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Thankfully most modern games are politicized garbage so nothing of value will be lost.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom