Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Frogwares' The Sinking City - that other Cthulhu game

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Only played Call of Cthulhu. I had no intention of playing this and I haven't. Seems I made the right choice.
The only Cthulhu game I'm really waiting for is Stygian Reign of the Old Ones. Finished the demo once or twice I think, but really liked what I saw there. Anyone knows the release date?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I gave up. Its waste-player's-time mechanics are insulting.

The game should be called The Stinking City.

Last edited:

Solid Snail

Learned
I'm trying the game and it's a slog. I liked Sherlock Holmes titles, and this is pretty much a reskin with a bland setting and story. And if the setting is bland in a game based on Lovecraft there's something wrong with your game. Monsters going randomly in the city and nobody gives a fuck like it's a common thing, the whole atmosphere seems like a Fallout game mixed with Metro in which your currency are bullets. The "choose the right order for the event" puzzles are so easy they could entirely avoid them, the exploration is awful (why do I need to use a boat for 4 meters, land it again and proceed? You just want to waste my time), the combat system is terrible. Dark Corners of the Earth is still the best Lovecraft based game and I don't understand the so many positive reviews for this, it's a 7/10 game at best.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm still enjoying the game, definitely nothing egregious that makes me want to rage and quit. Still early though.

Monsters going randomly in the city and nobody gives a fuck like it's a common thing
I dig what they're going for here - to me this is an interesting spin on how societies cope with horrific events.

It's like, the protagonist says, hey jesus, a monster tried to kill me, and citizens are like, "Yeah ...... that happens now."

Like when the newspapers say there's a serial killer in town and the cops have no suspects, the whole town doesn't run screaming into the streets, jump in their cars and drive to the hills ... they still go to work the next day. Nobody's happy about it but what are you really going to do?
(Disclaimer: not a perfect analogy. I already know, you're not a genius for pointing it out.)

Last edited:

Solid Snail

Learned
Do you know how long the game is? I just completed Fathers and sons (or whatever is called in english), and the game is repetitive as hell. Solving the cases is just a matter of finding all the clues in each location, and the dedution system is just too simple.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Do you know how long the game is? I just completed Fathers and sons (or whatever is called in english), and the game is repetitive as hell. Solving the cases is just a matter of finding all the clues in each location, and the dedution system is just too simple.

You are mid game.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
EIN7sNH.png
It's a matter of time x 1

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Buahahahahah this game is cracking me up,great writing! Just finished commiting a mass murder trough deadly and painful poison that takes days to finish those poor people,only to go on and deliver a speech how bigotry is evul and you shouldn't hate all fish people that kidnap and rape women!

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
What a weird game. I'm only a couple hours in, but the quality seems all over the place. I think they really nailed the atmosphere and environment, but some of the dialogue and voice acting is questionable to say the least, and the game definitely has that Euro-jank feel to it. I also think most aspects of the detective work, like combining clue pieces, are boring as hell.

What really gets me is how nothing about your character is explained. How do I have this power of retrocognition? Why can I do all these things with the Mind's Eye ability?

Is it ever explained in-game how Charles Reed gained those abilities or are we just supposed to take them for granted?

Zombra

Patron
What a weird game. I'm only a couple hours in, but the quality seems all over the place. I think they really nailed the atmosphere and environment, but some of the dialogue and voice acting is questionable to say the least, and the game definitely has that Euro-jank feel to it. I also think most aspects of the detective work, like combining clue pieces, are boring as hell.
What really gets me is how nothing about your character is explained. How do I have this power of retrocognition? Why can I do all these things with the Mind's Eye ability?
Is it ever explained in-game how Charles Reed gained those abilities or are we just supposed to take them for granted?
Whoever answers this, spoiler it either way please :)

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Whoever answers this, spoiler it either way please :)

You are the chosen one's seed

Last edited:

Zombra

Patron
Some more thoughts.
tldr.png
I'm finding my rhythm in this game. There's more to like here than you might think.

Some of you will be truly
rating_prosper.png
to learn I am even enjoying the combat. At high difficulty, bullets are at a premium and I actually have to use support items like the foot traps. Melee is janky as fuck and I wish it was smoother; on the other hand it's nice that it forces melee to be a last resort only. The 3 or 4 different enemy types I've seen so far all demand different tactics, and they spawn in different combinations which really make me think, which is all great. Running away is also commonly called for which feels very appropriate. It dovetails well with what I was talking before about how "Yeah, there are monsters now." From one point of view you might say the combat is "not as good as Call of Duty" and you'd be right. I prefer to think of it as "like Silent Hill but better" and in that light it is fun.

It is weird that loot respawns in containers, but not that weird. After all, the monsters are respawning too, so stuff is happening "offscreen" when you're not there. The town does generate a lot of hobos so maybe they are hiding stuff there before they get eaten. Whatever; it's fine. It does happen way too fast to be believable but I can roll with it. I guess I could "farm" for shit but I'm not a degenerate.

I've experimented more with turning HUD elements on and off:
* The "Status HUD" is fine and I have it turned on now; importantly, it goes away when you're not in combat or taking damage. No screenshots ruined here!
* The compass is nice in that it only appears in the "overworld". When you're in an investigation location the compass goes away, making it less annoying than it could have been. I still leave it turned off.
* Having "all interaction icons" turned on doesn't actually mean all, just ones that are very close to you. I leave this turned on so I know when a nearby object is interactive, so I'm not clicking on every piece of furniture in sight.
* Having "long distance icons" turned off means I can't spot every interactive thing from across the room. I feel like this is kind of a baby option for people who don't want to bother looking over a crime scene. It is nice that even turned on, distance icons are just a little dot, not intrusive to the atmosphere.
* I ended up turning the crosshair back on. At high difficulty combat is just too hard without it. Fortunately, the crosshair only appears when you are aiming a weapon, so again, no ruined screenshots.

Weirdly, when you hand place icons on the map, they only appear for your currently selected case. So you can't walk around the town cleaning up points of interest in a smart way unless you are flipping through your different maps all the time, which is a cumbersome process. I don't like it. Maybe the compass shows them all. Meh. [EDIT: It doesn't.]

The atmosphere has really hooked me. I'm a gamer who likes to walk slowly down creepy alleys even though I could be doing the "video game jog" to get to the objective faster. This game is perfect for a contemplative approach that really absorbs the scenery.
However fantadomat is absolutely right about the "Dragon Age 2 effect". The first time I saw a rowboat that somehow smashed through the 2nd floor to the 1st floor, I was like "that's so arbitrary and nonsensically destructive, how atmospheric". The second time I saw a rowboat smashed through the first floor ceiliing, making a ladder to the 2nd floor, in the exact same spot relative to the front door as the first time, I was like, "........."

Dialogue is good and doesn't feel forced or "gamey" at all. Remember that awful stuff from Bloodlines 2 where the woman is like, I am giving you a task in a video game and here are your objectives? None of that here. People talk to you because they have a point of view, not to dispense quests. At the same time, they don't talk just to sound cool or waste your time showing how brilliant the writing is. Conversations don't drag.

Supplemental writing ("lore"): there is a lot of it. Plenty of journals, notes, diary entries etc. about all kinds of weird and horrible stuff. It's all good and creepy, but disappointing in this format. In a novel, if someone finds a weird journal entry and then you (the reader) read it, it's all part of the story. In a video game, particularly one like this that nails the atmosphere so hard, writing a bunch of crazy horror stories about stuff you will never see is a big letdown. I don't want to just read about the mummy of a prostitute's dead husband nailed to the ceiling watching her work; either show him to me or don't bring it up.

Voice acting is hit and miss and I want to emphasize that there are "hits". Yes, some actors aren't great and they do stick out so it's easy to say the acting is bad; on the flip side, much of the acting is solid and convincing. Critically, I don't hate the protagonist. I'm a fan of detective fiction and there is a lot of writing and acting in the genre that I do hate. I'm so relieved that Reed is neither smug nor clever. He sometimes drops a touch of observational sarcasm and that is it. This understated approach really works for me.

Sidebar about the protagonist: I love to play Barbies in games and it's cool that you can switch outfits at your hotel room. It makes me feel like time is passing. I like to rotate through the clothes so I can see them all and it really lends a sense of "and then on the 3rd day I solved such-and-such case".

That's it for now. Thank you for reading my randomly ordered, unedited thoughts.

Last edited:

vota DC

Augur
The fact you find the exact Door/chest/room but your character refuse to open it if you are there while randomly exploring before gathering clues sounds stupid. Could be ok if you need proofs to arrest someone, but for inanimate objects?

Are there multiple ways to solve matters? In call of cyanide you had more ways to enter in the storehouse in the Village and more ways to evade from the asylum and....stop, the other was just walking or solve in only one way

Zombra

Patron
Are there multiple ways to solve matters?
In the sense of choose your approach - stealth, combat, diplomacy? Nope. It's a question of either finding all the clues and solving it completely, finding only some and getting partial credit, or blowing off a case. And depending on which difficulty you play on, and how many UI helpers you leave turned on, the game will tell you when you've found all the clues. (Prestigious detectives turn that shit off. /humblebrag) There are "skill" trees to build abilities with but it's just stuff like extra damage with a certain weapon or bonus hit points, nothing that will unlock different ways to solve anything.

However there are multiple interpretations of some cases that require you to think about the evidence and make a decision. Example, the very first case:
YB6tT6a.png
DNb9eg3.png
So that's cool.

Zombra

Patron
The fact you find the exact Door/chest/room but your character refuse to open it if you are there while randomly exploring before gathering clues sounds stupid.
I thought about this a bit and I prefer it the way it is, both from a gameplay perspective and a story perspective. The setting is filled with a million details, dead bodies and monsters everywhere, papers strewn about and mysterious objects all over the place.

G4zzgW6.jpg

Can you spot the one germane clue in this scene? I bet you guessed wrong.

If Reed were to take note of everything possibly relevant to some future case he's currently unaware of, he would never get off the freakin docks where his boat landed. "Hmm, a bowling ball, I guess that could have been used as a murder weapon in some case I never heard about. I guess I'll pick it up and carry it everywhere from now on." "Hmm, this appears to be a laundry list for a local dry cleaner. I'd better note down the entire contents in my log, just in case it's involved in some kind of, I don't know, a kidnapping ring maybe. Because my journal sure isn't clogged enough already."

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Fuck that sjw garbage,just rage quit after the kkk garbage. So you end up killing a ton of people,some even with a painful poisoning,but racist killing a bunch of Dagon summoning monsters is the ultimate evul.Ohhh fuck off you garbage retards,hope you all get raped by alahus you sheating worms in human disguise! Death to your whole bloodline,you miserable cunts,may the deeps ones testicle rape you for eternity.!.

Last edited:

vota DC

Augur
Fuck that sjw garbage,just rage quit after the kkk garbage. So you end up killing a to of people,some even with a painful poisoning,but racist killing a bunch of Dagon summoning monsters is the ultimate evul.Ohhh fuck off you garbage retards,hope you all get raped by alahus you sheating worms in human disguise! Death to your whole bloodline,you miserable cunts,may the deeps ones testicle rape you for eternity.!.

You get bad reputation if you kill satanists? Game is very realistic then.

Last edited:

randir14

Augur
Fuck that sjw garbage,just rage quit after the kkk garbage. So you end up killing a to of people,some even with a painful poisoning,but racist killing a bunch of Dagon summoning monsters is the ultimate evul.Ohhh fuck off you garbage retards,hope you all get raped by alahus you sheating worms in human disguise! Death to your whole bloodline,you miserable cunts,may the deeps ones testicle rape you for eternity.!.

Yeah this game seems to have some weird sympathetic tendencies towards Dagon worshipers. I don't feel bad that the government destroyed Innsmouth and I don't feel bad that the "refugees" are being mistreated.

Zombra

Patron
Zombra is losing it.
Nonsense. I've never been a solid Codex citizen. Attitude not bad enough.

---------

Speaking of being a murderer in this game though
Some guy on the street started yelling "Outsider!" at me as I was just walking by, minding my own business. (He happened to be an Innsmouther but it has nothing to do with the story. Why did I even say that?) As I tried to pass him he came at me and punched me in the side of the head. He screamed about how I was going to die. I was freaked out and didn't know what was happening ... but I was carrying a shovel so I hit him with it, just you know in self-defense. He kept punching me, so I hit him again, hard, and he dropped dead. I backed off, disoriented, and looked at the other people on the street. No one was paying any attention to us. A moment later I saw the corpse was gone. It almost felt like I imagined the whole thing. I just kept walking. Can being a killer be as simple as that? A moment of confusion and that's it? I don't even feel remorse; it all happened too quickly. What am I becoming?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom