Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The first few episodes of Altered Carbon are genuinely great, then it suddenly breaks and goes to utter shit lightning fast.

Wesp5

Arcane
The first few episodes of Altered Carbon are genuinely great, then it suddenly breaks and goes to utter shit lightning fast.

That was probably when they invented the not-in-the-book sister and made her the main villain. For me already the first scene showed that they didn't care about the story, because they basically killed the motive for most of the protagonists actions later right there and then.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The novels are fucking stupid too, including no less then a friendly "i can do it all for you!" super powerful Ai in the shape of.... Jimi Hendrix.
And the little shit even went and tried to criticize Tolkien.

Nobody is forcing you to use the romance options, really. I like the fact that they include it, is more content. And stop shitposting about Bioware, CD project already put romance options in The Witcher and they were great.
what i liked the most about Witcher 3 romances was being able to go full monk mode and saying "lol nope" to each and every advance. it was hilarious to break up with Yennefer - "nope, magic's gone..." with the least caring expression on his face

3WKHDq2.png

can't wait to dab on annoying degenerates in Cyberpunk 2077.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I disagree, the liberties they took with the story were just too jarring for me to enjoy it. Envoys are freedom fighters? That's the exact fucking opposite of what they do in the books.

entr0py

Scholar

That was probably when they invented the not-in-the-book sister and made her the main villain. For me already the first scene showed that they didn't care about the story, because they basically killed the motive for most of the protagonists actions later right there and then.

My biggest disappointment with the TV show is that they didn't include/emphasize the only single overarching message the books try to convey.

"Make it personal"

It first comes up when they drag Kovacs to the virtual interrogation clinic from the brothel, where they almost just for fun tortured and slowly let the religious girl to die a real death. It is a very naturalistic and heart wrenching description of her slow death, that triggered Kovacs so much that after he broke(red) himself free he went purposefully out of his way to kill and blow off the stacks of literally everyone who was in any way complicit in that girls death. Its no longer a do or die situation its pure retribution and vigilante justice that know no remorse and is as brutal and indifferent as the original murder was.

The only real message in the entire book trilogy is don't let others fuck with you, don't let them tell you it's nothing personal, don't let the system grind you down, chew you and spit you out onto a heap of garbage like a used and broken machine. you are more than that, you deserve more than that, even if you have to die for it. Stand up and rebel as a person, don't march to your death and even apologize on your way to the gutter.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
How about we make a bet where the winner will be a "woman" with a dick that in zer past was hit by a train and is missing a limb or two

..or a suicide fumbler who erased his jaw with a shotgun and cosplays the chick in front of the mirror doing her makeup!

Last edited:

Zer0wing

Cipher
Guyz, Cyberpunk RED PnP is not gonna get delayed and will be released on August 1st, 2019. This is great news even if you don't like Cyberpunk 2077 as CP2020 adaptation.
polygon said:
If you’re looking forward to the release of Cyberpunk 2077 on April 16, 2020, then you’re going to love the official prequel. It’s called Cyberpunk Red, and it’s the latest version of the original tabletop role-playing game, Cyberpunk 2020. A new starter set titled Cyberpunk Red Jumpstart Kit will go on sale Aug. 1 at Gen Con, the United States’ largest tabletop gaming convention. The full version of the TTRPG will be available at later date.

Publisher R. Talsorian Games released the starter kit’s official box art today, along with the first images of the custom dice that will be bundled inside. At this year’s E3, creator Mike Pondsmith revealed that he’s been spending a lot of time unifying the timelines of the original tabletop game and the upcoming video game from CD Projekt Red. That means the Jumpstart Kit will be the first official peek at the franchise’s updated lore.

In addition to a lorebook and a set of custom dice, the starter kit comes with a full adventure scenario specially made for new players, a set of in-universe news clippings, six pre-generated character templates, and four physical maps. Cyberpunk Red Jumpstart Kit will go on sale at Gen Con 2019 in Indianapolis, where it will be available at the R. Talsorian Games booth for $29.99. That same day, a digital version will also be available at DriveThruRPG.com. Physical copies will go on sale at a later date through the R. Talsorian online store.

Fans can still get the original Cyberpunk 2020 online. However, physical copies are currently out of stock. The publisher even sold through the extra stock it ordered in advance of this year’s E3.

“After E3 last year, we saw a rise in sales of roughly 400 percent,” a representative told Polygon via email. “This year, the increase in sales wasn’t quite as high because we’ve had a steady flow of customers interested in Cyberpunk 2020 and its sourcebooks since then. There was a nice bump of interest which was enough to deplete our stock [...] even though we had specifically ordered additional copies printed before E3 in anticipation of the rise in sales. In other words, despite ordering extra copies from our printer, we sold out and are grateful to everyone for their interest in Cyberpunk!”
Source: Polygon (don't click)

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I'm preparing for this game by going full cyberpunk tard. Currently listening to Neuromancer on audible, reading GITS, waiting for my Akira box set and CP2020 books to be delivered
way to set yourself up for disappointment, but to each his own

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
I'm preparing for this game by going full cyberpunk tard. Currently listening to Neuromancer on audible, reading GITS, waiting for my Akira box set and CP2020 books to be delivered
way to set yourself up for disappointment, but to each his own
What exactly am I supposed to get disappointed in?
life
I'm old enough to enjoy life
but wise enough to enjoy an immersive half assed RPG with popamole shooter elements?

gulagdandy

Novice
Can someone explain to me why the Codex is so afraid of romance in video games? RPGs are, above all, about inhabiting a character in a fictional world; there's even PnP RPGs which have almost no combat at all.

It's clear that the focus in C2077 is creating a realistic world and placing you in it, giving you the option to interpret your character and develop them as you see fit. Romance is an integral part of the human experience and therefore it makes a lot of sense to have it in the game.

Even if you consider the cyberpunk source material in literature, there's almost always romance in the books. There's romance in Neuromancer, Snow Crash, Schismatrix, etc.

Sykar

Arcane
Can someone explain to me why the Codex is so afraid of romance in video games? RPGs are, above all, about inhabiting a character in a fictional world; there's even PnP RPGs which have almost no combat at all.

It's clear that the focus in C2077 is creating a realistic world and placing you in it, giving you the option to interpret your character and develop them as you see fit. Romance is an integral part of the human experience and therefore it makes a lot of sense to have it in the game.

Even if you consider the cyberpunk source material in literature, there's almost always romance in the books. There's romance in Neuromancer, Snow Crash, Schismatrix, etc.

Most romance are at best mediocre but worse many are outright mind boggeling garbage. It also feels out of place that you would fall in love while in the middle of saving village/town/region/country/land/planet/universe/all of reality.

gulagdandy

Novice
Most romance are at best mediocre but worse many are outright mind boggeling garbage. It also feels out of place that you would fall in love while in the middle of saving village/town/region/country/land/planet/universe/all of reality.

Romance in games is just a narrative device, like any other functionality it can be done well and it can be done bad; I don't think I've seen anything in the promotional material yet to suggest it will be badly done. And it's almost always optional content.

About your second point, it really depends on how they pace the game, but it's still much less jarring than most fetch sidequests on your way to the big baddie that almost all RPGs have.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom