Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gold Box SSI's Gold Box Series Thread

What are your favorite Gold Box games?

• Pool of Radiance

• Curse of the Azure Bonds

• Secret of the Silver Blades

• Pools of Darkness

• Champions of Krynn

• Death Knights of Krynn

• The Dark Queen of Krynn

• Gateway to the Savage Frontier

• Treasures of the Savage Frontier

• Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday

• Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed

• Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures (FRUA)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sinatar

Arbiter
THROTL? That a FRUA module or something?

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
You didn’t. I knew exactly what you were referencing.

Throtl, ruined city to the north of the first outpost, and the first place you go in Champions of Krynn, guarded by a huge group of hobgoblins.

This is all required knowledge to be a true Gold Box fan.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The chase for Myrtani begins! Or is it Mrytana... whoever that tricky gold draconian is...

Cael

Arcane
Just finished THROTL.

damn clerics:argh::argh::argh:

And I still haven’t even found a longbow for my ranger just shortbows and I’m surprised how long THROTL was.

weapon break is brutal
What weapon break? I don't recall weapons breaking in COK. You mean weapons getting trapped in baaz draconians?

Cael

Arcane
You do realise that you get the weapon back after you win the fight, right? Also, keeping 2 weapons on hand is advised, but everyone can punch a baaz to death if necessary. There is really no great penalty for fighting barehanded other than doing 1d2+str bonus instead of 1d8 or whatever + str bonus.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
yea I know but sometimes I’ll forgot to re-equip characters and just have them
punch stuff:negative:

Cael

Arcane
yea I know but sometimes I’ll forgot to re-equip characters and just have them
punch stuff:negative:
A high Dex helps in not losing weapons, but yeah, they are best dealt with using arrows or spells.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I have a Knight, a Fighter, a Cleric/Fighter and a Magic-User/Fighter.

My Ranger and Magic-User (Fireball Spam) are my most useful.

Cael

Arcane
I have a Knight, a Fighter, a Cleric/Fighter and a Magic-User/Fighter.

My Ranger and Magic-User (Fireball Spam) are my most useful.
It depends on what type of game I am in the mood to play. My roleplay party was 2 Knights, 2 Qualinesti Fighter/Mage, 1 Qualinesti Thief/Red Mage, 1 Human Cleric.

For a power gaming party, 1 Human Knight, 5 Qualinesti F/C/M. Just get them to level cap for each game before exporting to the next one.

Dorateen

Arcane
I mapped Throtyl by hand on graph paper. Very memorable dungeon, especially for a low level party.

The fun part was, in Death Knights of Krynn, you get to visit Throtyl again as a location for a side quest, and I was able to reference that same hand-drawn map.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, it's a great beginner dungeon.
Especially fun to do it with minimal resting. I think I rested once last (third, I think) time I played it. The Wand you find (of Ice IIRC) becomes extremely useful when you can't rest spam.

Last edited:

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I rested a decent amount because every battle I needed all my sleep and fireball spells because clerics would always hold me and kill me instantly with the draconians.

I did a bit of grinding on hill giants for easy Exp in the beginning.

Cael

Arcane
I rested a decent amount because every battle I needed all my sleep and fireball spells because clerics would always hold me and kill me instantly with the draconians.

I did a bit of grinding on hill giants for easy Exp in the beginning.
Stinking Cloud is your best friend.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I tried Stinking cloud on Hill Giants and they walked right through it. Twice.

It works well on everything else though

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I didn’t map out THROTL because I’m bad at mapping and didn’t need it. But this next town is enormous, guess I will have to map
:negative:
:argh::argh:

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I may have ran out of money and I downloaded the games from some site. But GBC only works with GOG versions.

Have the GOG for the forgotten realms, but not Dragonlance.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I may have ran out of money and I downloaded the games from some site. But GBC only works with GOG versions.

Have the GOG for the forgotten realms, but not Dragonlance.

the 2.01 version is supposed to work with other versions of the GoldBox games too

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
It’s not working for me. I’ll mess around with it later I guess. It would be great for auto mapping.

Shane

Barely Literate
Hey team bedlam, is this the correct forum to seek advice about the gold box companion. I have a saved game in death knights of keynote, I can load it from a fresh start but the GBC says there are no saved games.
Transferring characters from CoK became too damn hard so I just thought I’d modify my DKK characters.

Erebus

Arcane
The beginning of Champions is peculiar because the PCs and most enemies have very poor saving throws, making them very vulnerable to spells and special abilities. Even the giant centipedes (that have only one HP) can't be taken lightly because their poisonous bite can instakill one of your PCs.

Of course, it can work both ways (though Hold Person and Charm Person are useless against non-human opponents). Stinking Cloud is a lifesaver, and can make a battle considerably easier.

In Dark Queen of Krynn, where everyone is high-level, it's pretty much the opposite : everyone has very good saving throws, and casting spells that can be made useless by a successful saving throw isn't usually worth it.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Dragons have pretty poor saving throws, so Stinking Cloud and Hold Monster is always a good choice against them.
But using for example Charm Person or Hold Person vs high level humans is mostly a waste.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom