Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Ruling as a teen could be fun...sometimes
14s93cwgh5621.png

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
- No disinheritance. Like, I understand if Paradox didn't want players to game gavelkind too much, but there should really be a disinherit option if you have a really good reason. Like, the heir is a pox ridden lunatic with 1 in all stats or something.
it would be too exploitive them. Everyone would disinherit gluttonous cowardly drunkards and leave only genious strong heirs.
Git gud

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
- No disinheritance. Like, I understand if Paradox didn't want players to game gavelkind too much, but there should really be a disinherit option if you have a really good reason. Like, the heir is a pox ridden lunatic with 1 in all stats or something.
it would be too exploitive them. Everyone would disinherit gluttonous cowardly drunkards and leave only genious strong heirs.
Git gud

Its hard to get good if RNG decides to fuck you over. You can groom heirs all you want, but you can't do shit if the AI suddenly decides to give your heir insanity for no reason.

Well, the good news is that I finally got control over my vassals and cleaned up some duchies in the process. The bad news is that by the time my heir is an adult there'll be another crusade, and the last crusade my vassals decided to be dicks instead of defending their faith.

Last edited:

Beastro

Arcane
There's actually a lot of design decisions that I disagree with.
From the top of my head -

- Can't give territory to foreign powers. Like, what if I took some land, and wanted to give it to an ally? The game won't let me do that. I have to grant independence, and watch the new nation immediately get consumed by some other power. Shit, even the old total war games allowed you do to that.

- Can't give orders to allied armies (without DLC, which is a shit move)

- Can't take entire duchies through CB (again, without DLC)

- In fact, a lot of the convenient features are locked behind DLC, which really should have been in the game to begin with. Like adopting local culture, which for some reason is only available if you have Rajas. Which doesn't make sense.

- No become Emperor of X ambition. Why? There's a kingdom ambition for kingdoms that haven't been formed yet, why not Emperor?

- Plotting to assassinate is pointless. Its too easy to be discovered or someone to blab. Apparently it happens if you have drunkards or gluttons in on that plot, but I've had it happen with temperate NPCs or high intrigue NPCs.

- No convenient way to form an Empire. It requires you to own 80% of territories and 2 kingdoms, but there's no way to actually do that unless you do grab a county every 10 years. Its hard enough as pagan because of elective gavelkind's free kingdom making bullshit and because you somehow lose subjugation when you reform, but as Christian it's a such a slog unless you get lucky with marriages and claims. If you do manage to do that, then its going to look like crap because everything got merged into a single kingdom because of de jure drift.

- Vassals being shits for no reasons. Its such an annoyance to deal with. Its as if everyone in CK2 is a disloyal cunt, and it really pisses me off. Everyone talks about how this game is historically accurate, but from personal observations that's complete bullshit, considering how every few years or so there's a rebellion or a civil war, and that's for the player. For the AI its a complete clusterfuck. Like, the middle ages did get messy, but they weren't that chaotic.

Use the console commands and edit save files to make up for the faults.

I don't understand why people would play the game without these after doing a few playthroughs given the bullshit that can take place. It won't solve all of that, but it will let you enact most of that shit reasonably, just set a limit for yourself.

Git gud

The issue is that it did happen regularly enough to warrant inclusion, even if it should be for the most part rare to pull off.

Robert Curthose is a good example, being a pain in the ass so much for William the Conqueror he'd long chosen William Rufus as his successor. It was undertaking a campaign that was a direct result of Robert's scheming that he fell from his horse and died. In that case Robert had no chance of inheriting England, but got Normandy as a compromise while William Rufus got England.

It wouldn't be Medieval Sims if you could just disinherit everyone. You also have to make the degenerates in your family happy.

And it's compromised as a Medieval Sim for not allowing those options in between, like the compromise above or other seemingly to us irregularities especially in the early half of the Middle Ages of where things didn't go by any set succession system.

Its hard to get good if RNG decides to fuck you over. You can groom heirs all you want, but you can't do shit if the AI suddenly decides to give your heir insanity for no reason.

Console or edit a save like I said before, but also set autosaves to every month, so if you notice something early you can roll back without losing much.

I actually wind up doing this a lot more to help the AI than I do for anything else, like removing illness for their only male heir (and giving him strong to counter further sicknesses) and to stop a prominent king from randomly converting to a heresy and having his kingdom ripped apart from holy wars (like France's king doing just this last night which would have meant the HRE and the Spanish kingdoms eating it up).

The sad thing is you can only do so much and can't fully stop the Byzantine Emperor from randomly revoking and handing out titles seemingly to reflect them declining (which it doesn't, it just winds up fucking over the notable dynasties getting members killed or unlanded more often than not).

Last edited:
So, I pretty much did what I set out to do in this game. Reformed hellenic (found the last norse woman in the world and went viking to gain the necessary counties), restored ERE to full glory (used elective gavelkind + altaic combo to gain invasion CB for quick conquest), fought off a crusade, all in 70 years. Couple of thoughts.

First, I'm unsure what to think of the new crusades. Any improvement over the old system is welcome, but still... even with half of christians in the world going for me I was never in any real danger. There were only two real battles, and then years and years of me playing whack-a-mole with countless smaller armies wandering around aimlessly in my realm. There's no white peace any more, and battles carry way, way too little score, so it just got tedious. Must have killed well over 100k before it was over, it really should have been over after those two battles.

And second, China is an excellent dumping ground for useless artifacts. Captured a quality 4 skull of some saint in a siege, useless to a non-christian, gave it away to the emperor for 5k grace. That's 10 freaking chinese artifacts in return. I have no idea why a chinese emperor would give a shit about a skull of some heathen from the other side of the world, but hey.

I'll see if I have the patience to try to restore Rome from here. Without access to kingdom level CBs it's going to be a long and grueling struggle against HRE holding Croatia, Italy and Sicily.

Humble bundle is not compatible with Steam yes?
They give you Steam keys for everything in the CK2 bundle. I haven't bought it (Yet) myself so I couldn't tell you if you get an individual key for each item or if they're grouped somehow since they've done that in the past, but it is all Steam.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Humble bundle is not compatible with Steam yes?
They give you Steam keys for everything in the CK2 bundle. I haven't bought it (Yet) myself so I couldn't tell you if you get an individual key for each item or if they're grouped somehow since they've done that in the past, but it is all Steam.

Individual keys. I picked the 1 dollar tier to just see. Might finally get the whole damn thing....

Aemar

Arcane
If anyone cares, CK2 and all substantive DLC are on Humble Bundle for $15 total right now.
Some sort of sign the development of CK2 is finally over. Only bought a couple of DLCs so far, best time to get the remaining stuff.

Norfleet

Yes, which is why such an option should be restricted to those who are literally unfit to rule. I'm not talking about having the coward or glutton trait, I'm talking about having the lunatic or possessed trait.
But coward and glutton are far more fitness-detracting than Lunatic or Possessed, the former of which is a net wash: It has a few drawbacks, but also unlocks some pretty nice options; the latter of which is a positive and makes you a superior generic commander.

Some sort of sign the development of CK2 is finally over. Only bought a couple of DLCs so far, best time to get the remaining stuff.

Doubtful. They are letting you have CK2 + all DLC for $15 hoping that you'll start paying $15 for each new DLC as its released.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yes, which is why such an option should be restricted to those who are literally unfit to rule. I'm not talking about having the coward or glutton trait, I'm talking about having the lunatic or possessed trait.
But coward and glutton are far more fitness-detracting than Lunatic or Possessed, the former of which is a net wash: It has a few drawbacks, but also unlocks some pretty nice options; the latter of which is a positive and makes you a superior generic commander.

I noticed that the AI tends to make more factions against you if you are a Lunatic though. And they will never want to put your son on the throne, they either want independence or put some distant asshole who's not a ruler of anything.
In one game I had factions wanting to put a bishop on the throne, because he was related to the current king's uncle. It was annoying.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
I have CK2 and _some_ of the DLC from some earlier bundle, but since the all dlc bundle aint too expensive, I was maybe thinking of getting it. Are the DLC's necessary or just some extra fluff?

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I have CK2 and _some_ of the DLC from some earlier bundle, but since the all dlc bundle aint too expensive, I was maybe thinking of getting it. Are the DLC's necessary or just some extra fluff?

They kind of are. The base game is fine by itself, but the DLC adds convenient features that makes you wonder why they just didn't add that in to begin with.

attackfighter

Magister
Old Gods, Way of Life, and Legacy of Rome are the most important (the last only if you want to play with retinues, which are fun but make the game easier). The other DLCs mostly add content particular to a given region or group, such as nomads, merchant republics, or Muslims. There is the occasional nifty feature in them as well, such as Holy Fury's random map generation feature, but mostly they are only relevant if you want to play as whatever group they pertain to. I personally only bought the $1 bundle this time around, as it had most of the relevant DLC and the price jump to the next level of content was fairly high.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Jade Dragon gives you the ability to take entire duchies though, which makes empire / kingdom building so much more convenient. I don't know why Paradox just didn't have that in the game to begin with. Greedy shits being greedy shits I guess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom