Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Codex Year of the Donut
Fall-From-Grace is one of the best waifus in videogame history.

Gerrard

Arcane
Much of the Codex's anti-romance stance is actually more about being "anti-people-who-really-like-romances". There's a narrative that BioWare's romances attracted a "bad crowd" that the studio destroyed itself by pandering to. Romances are seen as something that people have a tendency to care about to the exclusion of other things.
""""""""""""""""Narrative"""""""""""""""""
ufG6dpY.jpg

MasPingon

Arcane
Can someone explain to me why the Codex is so afraid of romance in video games? RPGs are, above all, about inhabiting a character in a fictional world; there's even PnP RPGs which have almost no combat at all.

It's clear that the focus in C2077 is creating a realistic world and placing you in it, giving you the option to interpret your character and develop them as you see fit. Romance is an integral part of the human experience and therefore it makes a lot of sense to have it in the game.

Even if you consider the cyberpunk source material in literature, there's almost always romance in the books. There's romance in Neuromancer, Snow Crash, Schismatrix, etc.
I sincerely doubt that Codex posters are 'afraid' of romance. More likely, they despise the cack-handed romances that generally plague the medium. Most games don't come close to having good writing, and romances are especially difficult to write well.

Dragon Age 2, never forget. And Zevran, remember he will abuse your ass later if you spare his life. That's how Bioware choices and consequences work I guess.

Last edited:
The Codex was against romances way before the social justice movement made mandatory gay relationships part of the genre.
Communities like bioware's were already on their little heterophobic hysteria trips (and had people like Gaider encouraging or even leading the behavior) before the codex popped its cherry .

Last edited:
So I presume the player will be able to romance Keanu. The question is, will Keanu adapt his gender to the player's? If the PC is male, maybe it will be Joanna Silverhand instead, who looks exactly like Keanu but with funbags?

gulagdandy

Novice
I think commie is conflating two related but separate things. The Codex was against romances way before the social justice movement made mandatory gay relationships part of the genre. Codexers thought romance was killing BioWare long before any of that stuff was around. Even today when people talk about cringeworthy RPG romances with terrible fanbases, they're more likely to be thinking about Aerie from BG2, not the gay Jersey Shore-looking dude from ME3 who nobody even remembers anymore. The SJW stuff supercharged anti-romance sentiment but did not cause it.

Full disclosure, I'm all for SJW type of inclusion in video games --please make sure your hatemail is creative if this confession compels you to send any my way.

I think the issue with badly written romances is way overblown here. I thought the DA series did it well for the most part. Now maybe it's true that this was to the detriment of more important parts of the games, and I do think DA Inquisition is hot garbage in general, but from my point of view the anger is somewhat misdirected.

For me, romance in RPGs is an important thing
Why? Why does it has to be an rpg? There tons of visual novels for that crap.

Cause I don't want to play a romance game, I want to play an immersive narrative experience with action sequences, character development, and interesting relationships with a well realized cast of charcaters, and I think romance is an integral part of that. I'm not saying there always needs to be romance, but I prefer if there is.

Last edited:

MasPingon

Arcane
I think commie is conflating two related but separate things. The Codex was against romances way before the social justice movement made mandatory gay relationships part of the genre. Codexers thought romance was killing BioWare long before any of that stuff was around. Even today when people talk about cringeworthy RPG romances with terrible fanbases, they're more likely to be thinking about Aerie from BG2, not the gay Jersey Shore-looking dude from ME3 who nobody even remembers anymore. The SJW stuff supercharged anti-romance sentiment but did not cause it.

please make sure your hatemail is creative if this confession compels you to send any my way.
I know your kind, you all wish that.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
On the other hand, even if they are storyfags, they prefer the narrative style of PS:T that was based on character development, which is antithetical to choose-your-waifu pandering that reached its final form in Mass Effect 2.

PS:T had romance. Only gameplayfags complain about romance in videogames.

It's not the romances per-se, its why they were there, how they were written and for whom.

I mean there's a difference between Tristan and Isolde, or Romeo and Juliet, compared to rom coms and romantic novels and Biowhore crossed towards the latter and then added faggotry on top of it 'cause why not, gotta pander to that one person who actually wants to ride the bull.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Can someone explain to me why the Codex is so afraid of romance in video games? RPGs are, above all, about inhabiting a character in a fictional world; there's even PnP RPGs which have almost no combat at all.

It's clear that the focus in C2077 is creating a realistic world and placing you in it, giving you the option to interpret your character and develop them as you see fit. Romance is an integral part of the human experience and therefore it makes a lot of sense to have it in the game.

Even if you consider the cyberpunk source material in literature, there's almost always romance in the books. There's romance in Neuromancer, Snow Crash, Schismatrix, etc.
I sincerely doubt that Codex posters are 'afraid' of romance. More likely, they despise the cack-handed romances that generally plague the medium. Most games don't come close to having good writing, and romances are especially difficult to write well.
And because most videogame writers have the maturity of horny, blue pill, sjw, cuck teenagers raised by crazy single mothers so you will see the most cringe of the cringe. On real life, you know half of the time you like your partner and the other half you wish to strangle her with your bare hands many people look to videogame as sources of unquestionable validation, so waifus can't be bitches.

Most Codexers hate video game romances because of unresolved issues in their past: ie the fact that Bioware never implemented a proper romance between Minsc and Boo.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
It will be interesting to see if they attempt to shove gay romances down players throats nuBioware/nuObsidian style.

I suspect it will remain optional and low key, like in Witcher series. Or rather, I hope it does. Although, now that it's not Geralt, could've just dropped the whole romancing, who cares.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Much of the Codex's anti-romance stance is actually more about being "anti-people-who-really-like-romances". There's a narrative that BioWare's romances attracted a "bad crowd" that the studio destroyed itself by pandering to. Romances are seen as something that people have a tendency to care about to the exclusion of other things.
Common Infinitron, there was a time where people were making walls of text the size of the China's Great Wall about how Tali's sweat tasted like, if those people were really as demanding on gameplay as they were horny degenerates, we would actually see good gameplay for a change.

If you like to taste virtual alien sweat, dear degenerate, crazy person, how about you pay equal attention to the gameplay of the actual shit game you are playing? I'm not against degenerates but there are respectable degenerates and there are Bioware degenerates, there must be some method on your insanity, those Bioware degenerates were the bottom of the barrel. Imagine those people being able to implant cyberdongs on their characters, those people are evil Infinitron, no NPC would be safe.

Reset Era blue pill cucks will finaly have their dreams of having their girlsfriends installed with cyberdongs, they will only talk about that and then all the discussion will be about the size of the cyberdongs their girlfriends would use and how too much gameplay was getting in the way of the action.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Most CRPG romances just aren't very good, probably because most CRPG writers aren't very good.

Additionally, they open up a can of worms with regards to representation. Whereas sexual orientation can be very lightly touched on (if at all) in a game without romances, adding romances in, by definition, makes that orientation explicit. And then, designers/writers are faced with the options of sticking to whatever their vision is and risking Twitter rage from the marginalized communities, blowing out scope by making sure every orientation is properly represented, or making all romanceable companions 'omnivorous/character-sexual' and (potentially) dramtically changing those companions as a result.

I don't mind romance, but it's hard to do well, and even harder in today's society where people (justifiably or no, depending on your worldview) demand representation in everything.

thesoup

Arcane
Fall from Grace isn't really a romance option, Annah is durp "I love you because no reason and I have no character development". Deionarra was great, tho. Not a romance option your random biodrone would want, just someone you fucked over.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I don't mind romance, but it's hard to do well

You just need the right people to do it:

grace.jpg

latest

latest

Agreed... but I think if PS:T had been done today, the romances would've been dramatically different. Hell, I'm not sure the Nameless One would've been fixed as a male protagonist. It's hard to say, given the shift in sentiment and politics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom