Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs with gold/silver/copper coins system

bellbell

Novice
Hi, guys.
I'm looking for games where coins in gameplay world are presented in different metals, or even in different currencies like in Pillars of Eternity. So far I know of Realms of Arkania, Legends of Dawn and PoE (last one has only different coins you find but they're auto converted to GP when you pick them up).
Maybe someone could remember other games like that?..

Upd.: Not quite interested in MMORPGs, so I won't list those.

So far mentioned RPGs are:

Amulets & Armor
Avernum: EftP
Blackguards 1
Betrayal at Krondor
Castle of the Winds (first I'm hearing about this one)
Darklands (wasn't sure about this one, couldn't remember)
Drakensang (can't believe I've forgotten this one)
Dragon Age
Dungeon master 2
Fallout NV
Game of Thrones RPG
Legends of Dawn
Outward
Pillars of Eternity
Pool of Radiance
Quest for Glory
Realms of Arkania (classic and remakes)
Return to Krondor (?)
Temple of Elemental Evil
Witcher 3
Underrail

Mentioned, but are mixed genre:

Dishonored
Fallout Tactic Brotherhood of Steel
Spellforce 1
Terraria

Last edited:

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Pool Radiance, which had copper, electrum, silver, gold and platinum pieces.

This was a staple of the Gold Box games until they later switched to universally giving out platinum pieces.

Coins had weight as well in those games. I remember converting coins to gems because they were lighter before I realized money was useless and just left everything.

bellbell

Novice
That was quick, thanks everyone, keep them coming.
No MMORPG, if you please - sorry I hadn't make it clear earlier.

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
Dungeon master 2 has a fun currency system- 3 coins and 3 gems.

The 'money box' and the fact that each coin and gem was an actual item and not just a numberic value in a text window made collecting money fun.

That game brought out the inner Jew in me. I would open up the money box, move the coins around, and admire all the glittery glory. I didn't want to spend any of it- it was so beautiful.

Loved the bartering system too. My parents suspended my computer usage once because they heard me scream at a shopkeeper. I called him a gay faggot cuz he wouldn't give me a 1 copper discount.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Darklands: pfenning, floren, and groshen. Probably horribly misspelling, but I'm too lazy to look up the correct spelling.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Witcher 3 has at least two more currencies besides the "crowns" used in stores, but they are not used for anything except for converting them into crowns at Vivaldi's bank.

Also, Underrail has multiple currencies.

Cross

Arcane
The Quest for Glory series, which also requires you to exchange your money to the local currency when importing your character to the sequels.

Last edited:

vota DC

Augur
Castle of the winds have different metals but different metals just means multipliers. Also money has weight but you get credit card if you put money in bank.

Beastro

Arcane
EQ: platinum, gold, silver and copper seen below the club and candle.

34127-everquest-the-planes-of-power-windows-screenshot-the-inventory.jpg

Insert Title Here
If you are allowing Immersive Sims™, the Dishonored games have [gray metal cheaper than copper], then copper, then gold coins, with the Lord Regent's/Empress's face on them respectively.

groundhog

Educated
Avernum: Escape From the Pit has gold, silver and copper coins, although when you you pick them up they are automatically converted into a value in gold. I think the Avadon series had the same mechanics but that may be my memory playing tricks.

laclongquan

Arcane
Fallout Tactic Brotherhood of Steel
You have Brotherhood scripts which were official BOS money, and can be traded elsewhere as well. Then you have ringpulls which can only be traded with tribals and traders outside. If you cant use it to buy stuffs outside, it's useless. Meanwhile brotherhood scripts can fall through your hand faster than you can save.

You can find gold bars, prewar money, but they are rare. More trade goods than money.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom