Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant is a disaster

Child of Malkav

Erudite
They f**ked up again.

sluangkhot

"Hi guys, thanks for flagging the arrows not working. We didn’t see this on our end or during the certification process which is unusual, but we’re tracking this now.

Someone else mentioned that the cutscenes at the end of the game are no longer activating on PS4?"

https://forums.otherside-e.com/t/ps4-concerns-poor-optimisation/10099/13

:dead:

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Next time Grandpa Zep-- tells you something is going to be shit before it's even released...

YOU LISTEN. HEAR ME SON? I didn't just fall off the back of the turnip truck. Fiddley Fee!

Zep--

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Here's the current list of future, unreleased games that are shit, for your convenience. Please update your .txts.

System Shock 3.
The Outer Worlds.
Whatever that gangsta shit Romero Games is working on.

EDIT
Anything by Cleveland "Soy Boy Mark" Blakemore.

Zep--

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Everything Garriot touches turns into shit.
One of the good things that the Kickstarter fad brought was the knowledge that, most times, "old masters" can only produce new crap and often age does not more wisdom brings.
That's why - in my job - I always try to teach young kids all the things I learned. So that they can achieve better things than I did when I was their age. And also to learn something new from the kids as well.

I'm well aware that my brain isn't working properly anymore. And that "autism" is a risk every old fart faces. Farts like Garriot, Fargo, Spector, etc. Even Sid Meier and Julian Gollop are too afraid to step out of their comfort zone.

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee

More typical Otherside deception and twisting the truth.

The trailer quotes Gamespace as follows:

"A world apart from other dungeon crawlers." (0:53)

The full quote is:

"The potential to log into the new player hub, pick a quest from the available list, and jump blindly into a new experience makes me hopeful that when Otherside’s newest title reaches Beta it will make the Stygian Abyss feel like a world apart from other dungeon crawlers." (emphasis added)

https://www.gamespace.com/featured/gamescom-going-down-into-underworld-ascendant/

So Gamespace didn't review the current version of UA and concluded it is "a world apart from other dungeon crawlers." They reviewed the Alpha in August 2018 and said they hope it will some day feel a world apart.

Gamespace never reviewed the game after release (or the Beta for that matter), but the same author recently wrote a nonsense report on the console release.

https://www.gamespace.com/all-articles/news/underworld-ascendant-ventures-onto-playstation-4/

Even in this BS piece, "a world apart" is no longer to be found.

Efe

Erudite
thats called advertising.
what do you want them to say?
"this was released on pc first and received a very bad reception. now we cooked it some more, we promise its good now"?

Efe

Erudite
if anything, im biased against them.
i just dont see the point to the amount of vitriol you carry with you.
it loses its meaning when you lash out this hard against every. single. thing.

its a console trailer for a failed game partially quoting an unknown and probably shit gaming website.
how many really honest trailer quotes have you seen so far?
mots of the time even if the quote is truthful, its truthful to a paid fucking review... so whats your point here?

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Ultima Underworld was the game which showed me that videogames could become something more than just shooting things, jumping over platforms and racing pixelated cars.
The feeling of claustrophobia, nihilism and despair which one felt while exploring the dungeons is - to this day - something which most survival-horrors games still fail to acomplish. Not to mention the great lore which one would acquire by reading the books and interacting with the races trapped in the abyss.

The game even simulated gravity, FFS!!

I was so hyped for this game... :(

Now I just think the devs should be sent to the Stygian Abyss as punishment for trying to soil the Underworld legacy.

ejsf7l.jpg

Max Heap

Arcane
The first console review. As expected.

In just about nearly every area that matters, Underworld Ascendant falls horribly short.

https://www.psu.com/reviews/underworld-ascendant-ps4-review/

"(Ultima Underworld, for the record, did not nearly have the reliance on shonky platforming that Ascendant does)"

Factually untrue!

While I love the rest of the game, Ultima Underworld has some of the most miserable and overused platforming in the whole wide world of video games. As your acrobatics skill increases you launch yourself further and further into the air and bounce off walls like there is no tomorrow. And the higher you jump the more likely you'll miss whatever you aimed for - so the further you progress in the game the worse it gets. You'll likely overshoot or hit the ceiling and drop straight down. And it's not like that's just on the first few floors (like when you're trying to get into the ankh room and fall down into the water for the fourth or fifth time). That shit goes on and on and on, from the first to the last level. Almost always in a room with some god damn lava on the floor. And it's not any better in UUW2 either. Admittedly its far less there, but the academy world easily makes up for everything! It's mind-bendingly annoying!

Other than that the review seems pretty spot on though...

karnak

Arcane
Patron
The first console review. As expected.

In just about nearly every area that matters, Underworld Ascendant falls horribly short.

https://www.psu.com/reviews/underworld-ascendant-ps4-review/

"(Ultima Underworld, for the record, did not nearly have the reliance on shonky platforming that Ascendant does)"

Factually untrue!

While I love the rest of the game, Ultima Underworld has some of the most miserable and overused platforming in the whole wide world of video games. As your acrobatics skill increases you launch yourself further and further into the air and bounce off walls like there is no tomorrow. And the higher you jump the more likely you'll miss whatever you aimed for - so the further you progress in the game the worse it gets. You'll likely overshoot or hit the ceiling and drop straight down. And it's not like that's just on the first few floors (like when you're trying to get into the ankh room and fall down into the water for the fourth or fifth time). That shit goes on and on and on, from the first to the last level. Almost always in a room with some god damn lava on the floor. And it's not any better in UUW2 either. Admittedly its far less there, but the academy world easily makes up for everything! It's mind-bendingly annoying!
That's why "Vas Hur Por " is your friend ;)

Efe

Erudite
finally someone could find a part of the game improved over the original

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee
The point is, after over 7 months since its release, the game still has major shortcomings, some of which are the same they always had.

Meanwhile, Steam reviewers (the few new ones there are) still say the game is crashing.

"Sadly I can't recomend Underworld Ascendent yet as it is still prone to crashing quite frequently. I will re-evaluate my opinoion on the game when I can actually play it without it crashing every 15 minutes."

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197961588233/recommended/692840/

Nyast

Cipher
Today's good laugh: https://forums.otherside-e.com/t/ps4-issues-in-detail/10108

TLDR; on PS4: Arrows still a problem, traps are disappearing randomly, inventory's a mess with a gamepad, physics stacking is a nightmare, loot still sucks, an NPC that you freed in a quest gets reset, and the lack of skill rewards from quests is annoying.

I'll leave the conclusion from the reviewer here:

As I said, there are things that I like, such as the level design and general atmosphere. I hope that the bugs can be dealt with and gameplay issues resolved. In all honesty the game shouldn’t have been released on the PS4 as it is and I’m surprised it passed certification. However, I am prepared to give it another shot.

Nyast

Cipher
That's hardly a surprise. They had already announced some time ago that Update 4 was likely the last one. The layoffs was just the confirmation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom