Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs with shapeshifting as a prominent mechanic

Darth Canoli

Arcane
In Might & Magic 8, the vampire class has multiple abilities like levitation and mistform (immune to physical damage), well, mistform doesn't do much outside of combat, maybe you can avoid trap damage but levitation does that already for ground traps for the whole party.

krilcebre

Learned
There were also shapeshifting scrolls in Gothic games, but outside of a couple of scripted encounters (shifting into a roach to go under a fence) I don't remember them being terribly useful.

You can buy a dragonsnapper scroll in the beginning of Gothic 2 and clear everything in Khorinis map in a few hours. I'd call that pretty useful, or even an exploit. :)

Hobo Elf

Arcane
There were also shapeshifting scrolls in Gothic games, but outside of a couple of scripted encounters (shifting into a roach to go under a fence) I don't remember them being terribly useful.

You can buy a dragonsnapper scroll in the beginning of Gothic 2 and clear everything in Khorinis map in a few hours. I'd call that pretty useful, or even an exploit. :)
You don't get HP from level ups that way, due to a bug. Not much of an exploit when it fucks you up the ass pretty hard.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Pillows of Eternity
8E0C3E934DA1CE544E124A7BC5262BCE066D561C

krilcebre

Learned

You don't get HP from level ups that way, due to a bug. Not much of an exploit when it fucks you up the ass pretty hard.

You can still play around it tho. Magicians have a plethora of things up their sleeves to kill pretty much anything without losing a single HP. Summons, other transformations, etc.

visions

Arcane
Divine Divinity had inventory items (animal statuettes) that let you shapeshift into the creature depicted on them. The possible creatures were a giant spider, a cat and a frog. You could scare shopkeepers out of their shops as the giant spider (in order to rob the shops) and also guards would attack you when you were shifted into the giant spider. I think orcs were friendly to giant spiders though (as in, wouldn't attack you on sight).

As the frog you would move faster. Not sure what (if anything) the cat was good for.

It was more of a novelty thing but it was cool.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Doesn't Original Sin 2 have some mask that let you steal the bodies of dead people?
To be specific one character obtains a mask that can allow him to change faces/appearance and basically look as from another race, and this does have some impact on NPC reactions etc

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom