Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Does Icewind Dale get better ?

I've been playing Icewind dale lately,so far all I've been fighting is copy pasted skeletons and others trash mobs,boring !

I heard that Icewind dale is a combat focused game so i was expecting good challenging encounters...but NO ! just shitty copy pasted mobs after shitty copy pasted mobs !

Does it get better or is just a boring Diablo clone ?

Maybe normal difficulty is too easy ?

Sentinel

Arcane
Do you mean "Normal" as in "below Core Rules" or "Normal" as in "Core Rules" difficulty?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've been playing Icewind dale lately,so far all I've been fighting is copy pasted skeletons and others trash mobs,boring !

I heard that Icewind dale is a combat focused game so i was expecting good challenging encounters...but NO ! just shitty copy pasted mobs after shitty copy pasted mobs !

Yeah, it does get harder. Specifically when you start fighting enemy spellcasters and special enemies.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Do you mean "Normal" as in "below Core Rules" or "Normal" as in "Core Rules" difficulty?

i don't know,My ICW version is the gog non-enchanced edition version and there's no mention of "core rules" anywhere.

I believe you need to launch the game's setup (which lets you configure graphic and sound options, among other things) and there you will be able to adjust the difficulty slider.

Sentinel

Arcane

i don't know,My ICW version is the gog non-enchanced edition version and there's no mention of "core rules" anywhere.
yeah Normal is Core Rules on the OG versions.

fyNvL1Q.png

Where are you at in the game? Dragon's Temple or whatever the fuck it's named is when I started feeling the challenge.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Sounds like OP is still in Vale of Shadows. You should play it through Dragon's Eye at least.

fyNvL1Q.png

Where are you at in the game? Dragon's Temple or whatever the fuck it's named is when I started feeling the challenge.

My game is at default difficulty with core rules.

I in the Vale of Shadows.

Maybe i have the wrong definition of good encounter design but fighting the same group of monsters over and over again is fucking boring !

Dorateen

Arcane
In a true computer role-playing game that allows full party creation, like Icewind Dale, difficulty is determined by party composition as much as anything. Half of good encounter design is about what you the player bring to the battlefield.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
The Dragon's Eye was a fucking pain in the ass, so yeah, that's where the game starts ramping up difficulty.

Sentinel

Arcane

fyNvL1Q.png

My game is at default difficulty with core rules.

I in the Vale of Shadows.

Maybe i have the wrong definition of good encounter design but fighting the same group of monsters over and over again is fucking boring !
Dragon's Eye is the area after Vale of Shadows. Vale of Shadows is more like a tutorial "go easy on the player" area than anything.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Dragons Eye gets hard as fuck, especially when you fight the exploding beetles and phase spiders, so yea it gets more interesting.

Ice wind dale is very good for its time. It still has many good qualities but in the new age of vidya it is harder to appreciate what the old games have done.I had a similar time understanding some of the other games that codexers that sang grand eloquent love sonnets on. I read their almost nauseatingly saccharine compliments then immediately download them.

One of them was wizardry series.

I really tried hard to like it. Eventually, I accepted that it was before my time and take codexers opinions with a grain of salt.

aka its shit

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
The linearity and RTwP killed it for me. I could live with one of the two evils — either a straightforward romp with good combat, or a game with mediocre combat but decent exploration — but not both. Even the RTwP might've been salvageable with better encounter design, but there's just too much trash to wade through.

The game's pretty, though.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
The linearity and RTwP killed it for me. I could live with one of the two evils — either a straightforward romp with good combat, or a game with mediocre combat but decent exploration — but not both. Even the RTwP might've been salvageable with better encounter design, but there's just too much trash to wade through.

The game's pretty, though.
Soundtrack and Art design alone is worth a playthrough.

Vale of Shadows is the worst part of the game (dat low level 2E AD&D) , and core rules is probably too easy for anyone not named Brian Mitsoda. That said OP is a low-effort troll. 2/5 trolling at best.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom