Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer 2

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
There's a mod called Mortal Empires Turn Time Destroyer that supposedly helps.

Saerain

Augur
Patron
So is this worth playing campaigns with auto-resolve? I expect as a Total War game it's all about the battles, but that also seems to be true about every current fantasy TBS. Trying to get that Master of Magic fix...

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Did you seriously just ask if you gonna get mom-fix by playing a tw game with battles skipped?
Isn't that how you play eventually, anyway?

I tried getting into the game again, to play Lizardmen and Vampire Coast (did not play them yet), but I think the game has worn me out.
The jungles are a catastrophically bad starting position for everyone except Skaven as movement is sooooooooooooooooooooo sloooooooooooooooooooow, everything takes forever and the bonus movement mods don't work with Lucky's Overhaul...
Almost all battles you just resolve automatically, anyway, as they wouldn't pose a challenge or would be a sure loss anyway - only very few battles are actually worth doing manually.
So you end up with that stupid settlement stuff and have to deal with insane nonsense like your ally grabbing a single province of your region.
And then you have these ridiculous loading and turn times.
I'm so fed up with all of it. Maybe a Dark Omen-like game where you just go from battle to battle with little in-between management would be better suited for this, because I don't think this "only very few battles are worth fighting yourself" problem can really be resolved.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Did you seriously just ask if you gonna get mom-fix by playing a tw game with battles skipped?
Look, the fantasy 4X is a desolate quest to be on, all right?
Well yeah, but wh tw is not a 4X game. Its strategy layer is also very simplistic, boring and has one of the most infuriating AIs ever.

Playing it on autoresolve isn't really feasible as it's fecking broken. You can reach a point where constantly losing units in completely improbable scenarios won't be that much of a problem, but even then some stuff is bonkers. In current build, for example, if you're next to vampire coast then they have this zombie grenadier unit. It's a shit tier unit, but if the ai has a couple of them in their stack (and they usually do) then autoresolve will wipe out your elite troop golden experience stacks and then laugh and fart in your face.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Look, the fantasy 4X is a desolate quest to be on, all right?
Well yeah, but wh tw is not a 4X game. Its strategy layer is also very simplistic, boring and has one of the most infuriating AIs ever.

Playing it on autoresolve isn't really feasible as it's fecking broken. You can reach a point where constantly losing units in completely improbable scenarios won't be that much of a problem, but even then some stuff is bonkers. In current build, for example, if you're next to vampire coast then they have this zombie grenadier unit. It's a shit tier unit, but if the ai has a couple of them in their stack (and they usually do) then autoresolve will wipe out your elite troop golden experience stacks and then laugh and fart in your face.
Those were actually some of the few battles I fought myself, exactly due to that weird autoresolve logic.
On the other hand, autoresolve can win battles for you that would be nigh impossible to do manually due to all your paper facing only scissors.

Other than by simulation actual battles, autoresolve will never be really accurate, I don't think one can be too harsh on it for that.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Yes, autoresolve is very handy for handling trash battles that don't concern your main stacks or stuff that just looks tedious (forest battles, bleurgh), but they also often mean pointlessly losing units and are infamous for causing huge losses in battles that you can win with 0-20 casualties (massacring cavalry units for example is a long revered tradition that's been in the series since forever) so they ain't really all that feasible on higher difficulty levels. I'm pretty sure that dumbing down unit reinforcement was caused by devs discovering that many players autoresolve more than the actual convenience.

Vibalist

Arcane
I don't understand autoresolving in a game where the battles are the whole entire point...? Even when facing inferior armies I fight the battles myself, because what else of substance does Total Warhammer offer? The moment I get the urge to simply autoresolve is the moment I decide I'm burnt out and done playing for the day.

In addition, I was only half joking when I said that the way to play this game is to declare war on everyone. I find that TWH gets fun the moment you decide to play it gung ho, regularly attacking forces much larger than your own, never, ever waiting out sieges until your opponent surrenders, generally taking as many risks as possible and never, ever reloading when you fuck something up. You will want to deliberately play everything as risky as possible in Ironman condititons, because it introduces a degree of tension that isn't really there in the base game.

Last edited:

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Is there a mod that improves the battle map terrain variety? I feel like back in Shogun you could have all these cool environments: fighting off the side of a steep hill, disembarking from transports, things like that. Battlefields in TWW2 are stupidly bland for how outlandish the setting is.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Even when facing inferior armies I fight the battles myself, because what else of substance does Total Warhammer offer?

Personally, I fight battles that are a) more complicated than usual; or b) interesting/larger in scope.

Then again, I find the campaign map gameplay immersive and of equal value to the battle stuff, but I guess your mileage may vary.

GreyViper

Prophet
Just managed to unite the western desert and eliminate Arkhan the Black and all the Bretonian orders on the coast. It was a long and atrocious slog. So yes having 2-3 extra armies consisting of sword and spear skellies, makes auto-resolving a decent option. Honestly, all the pop a moleing with rebellions and the bretonian armies going for my behind the lines cities can be really tedious. On the bright side, tomb scorpions have unlocked and now it should be more a bit more fun.
Speaking of Bretonnia, their new economy takes a bit getting used to, turns out you just can't use full peasant army at the start if you don't want to lose replenishment. Seems like Brets need provinces with many cities to flourish. Still taking out Estalia, Skavenblight, Tilea and then Sartosa should provide a good economy.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Because TW:WH1 is a dead game. CA doesn't care about it by design, just like it won't care about TW:WH2(and 1) after WH3 comes out.

There have been numerous balance/systems changes from WH1 to 2, makes no sense to support an outdated version.

Does it makes sense to buy TW:WH2 for the best experience even with WH1 factions? I don't care about most of the WH2 factions, so the $30 plus DLC are still a bit expensive for what I'd personally get out of the game.

Parabalus

Arcane
Because TW:WH1 is a dead game. CA doesn't care about it by design, just like it won't care about TW:WH2(and 1) after WH3 comes out.

There have been numerous balance/systems changes from WH1 to 2, makes no sense to support an outdated version.

Does it makes sense to buy TW:WH2 for the best experience even with WH1 factions? I don't care about most of the WH2 factions, so the $30 plus DLC are still a bit expensive for what I'd personally get out of the game.

I played TW:WH2 before WH1, and the latter is basically unplayable to me.

The improvements in WH2 are enormous, and that's before the WH1 race reworks (which haven't been/won't ever get patched to WH1).

You can try it out by sailing, but it's worth the money IMO.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath

If WH1 is not receiving the factions rework, then I highly recommend WH2. For example, WH2 Bretonnia is different from WH1 with the vow system and research. WH2 Bretonnia makes for an awesome campaign.

The greatest addition, in my opinion, is the new research tree. The research tree allows you to customize your campaign with respect to confederation, alliances, and enemies. Heraldry research makes confederation with other Bretonnians an instant event for 5,000 gold each. Beyond that, there is research for diplomacy or combat buffs against certain factions (at the cost of disposition). For example, you can research diplomacy gains with the wood elves and faction-wide buffs against Skaven and Norseman. This allows you to crusade against the Skaven and Norseman with fewer issues.

At max chivalry, the Green Knight has infinite summons. Green Knight is a beast to have reliably.

Ork and Empire are apparently next for a rework.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
The reworks are cool, but the mechanics changes are the real winners.

Heroes are much better done in WH2, and the HP/damage were rebalanced across the board. In WH1 you can't even aim breath spells.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
WH I advantages.
- lords can be assassinated.
- undead heroes than are quite important for armies can be recruited from minor cities chains.
- L20 hero skill which should still make hero be out of action for 50 - 120 turns doesn't cause problems because there is no such hero skill.
- legendary lords were only lords that could reliably be at high level. And only leaders which demise wasn't permanent. Which made them extremely valuable.
- chaos packed a punch.
- chaos wasteland remained a wasteland instead of quickly colonized stuff.
- you could pretend Skaven are under cities.
- there were also weaker stacks than a 20 unit full stack attacking you.
- most factions couldn't colonize other faction biomes. (Thus dwarves and Bretonia didn't compete for the same area.)
- when you started WH I there was awesome logo of Steampunks.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
- most factions couldn't colonize other faction biomes. (Thus dwarves and Bretonia didn't compete for the same area.)

At first I dislike this in typical map painter fashion (which I don't even am), but then I started to like the idea, because it keeps the outcome more lore-friendly.

Can you conquer / colonize every settlement now in WH2?

Regarding the WH1 factions in WH2 - do I have to use Mortal Empires to play them or how is that handled?

Parabalus

Arcane

At first I dislike this in typical map painter fashion (which I don't even am), but then I started to like the idea, because it keeps the outcome more lore-friendly.

Can you conquer / colonize every settlement now in WH2?

Regarding the WH1 factions in WH2 - do I have to use Mortal Empires to play them or how is that handled?

Mortal Empires only.

Every faction can take every settlement, but there are climate preferences, e.g. if you want to take something in the Chaos Wastes as High Elf, you'd have a really bad time (rebellions every turn, -50% growth and income - basically useless)

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Anything that is uninhabitable is basically not worth taking ever. Unpleasant depends how close it is to your other settlements, whether the other settlements in the province are unpleasant and where it is. It is not only -50% growth and income, which would make it useless already but it is also double the time for building.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom