Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Not sure when they added the "Fenimore Fillmore" part to the name of "3 Skulls of the Toltecs", but whatever...

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm the wrong guy to send an early beta key for 2.0 because using it, I just don't see the point of it (for me). I have to launch Steam or Epic anyway, so like... why did I launch Galaxy first? I guess the whole point is to keep track of everything in one centralized location for purely social reasons, but I don't give a fuck about the social network aspects, so... it's just pointless for me. If you always wanted Steam's "add a non-steam game" function to have more information about said game and such though, it's definitely for you. Though if it takes off as an idea Steam will probably just implement it themselves and no one will care about GOG doing it.

ADL

Prophet
Steam is ugly and bloated and doesn't run good. The new library update is a nightmare. Being able to circumvent the other launchers by having it launch your games and opening/closing the other platforms only when needed is a godsend if you're trying to use the actual Steam client as little as possible.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Steam is ugly and bloated and doesn't run good. The new library update is a nightmare. Being able to circumvent the other launchers by having it launch your games and opening/closing the other platforms only when needed is a godsend if you're trying to use the actual Steam client as little as possible.

It doesn't close them when the game is closed. So if you did use it for everything you'd probably have all the clients running at once, if you played a variety of games. Also I don't share your experience of Steam being slow, so... I dunno.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It doesn't remove the DRM from the other platforms, so it's less than worthless, it actively hogs more resources since it has to be running along with the other platform. Ugh, a nightmare.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
It doesn't remove the DRM from the other platforms, so it's less than worthless, it actively hogs more resources since it has to be running along with the other platform. Ugh, a nightmare.
Daily reminder that asking for Galaxy 2.0 to remove need to run other clients is asking for cracks.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Daily reminder that asking for Galaxy 2.0 to remove need to run other clients is asking for cracks.
It's asking for the same thing GOG is always offering and why I'm using it over the other platforms - no DRM. Since it can't offer me that, it's less than worthless for me. If I had any interest in buying from Steam at all, I'd even crack my own legitimate copies so I wouldn't have to run Steam every time. But that's not really the problem, the problem is that the whole concept of having to authenticate myself every time I want to run a game I own is very suspect, it feels like they are trying to control me or implant the idea in my head that this is normal and acceptable.

Citizen

The only gud thing about gog platform is that you can play games without any launcher at all, so trying to promote their launcher as a next big thing seems strange to me. People who are okay with launchers would probably just get the same games on steam, where they are cheaper, update faster and have mod workshop.

I have most of my library on gog just because I dont want to launch steam with its unnecessary online services/achievments/other stuff just to play a game, and I don't see why anyone who is willing to always run a launcher in the background would buy games on gog instead of steam. And don't forget that gog lacks many games due to their (((curation)))

Squid

Arbiter
People who are okay with launchers would probably just get the same games on steam, where they are cheaper, update faster and have mod workshop.
But in the end you're still getting access to a DRM-free copy of the game and you can use the launcher optionally with or without that. I'm pretty sure if you direct Galaxy to your offline installed games' location it will add it to Galaxy for you no issue. You can install everything with the .exe and then Galaxy can show up later and see it if you choose to do so.

I don't see the issue with using Galaxy on GOG because it's still supporting a practice that's better than what other stores and publishers want to offer. Go ahead, use Galaxy, back up your DRM-free installers. I don't care. The mod workshop is good for Steam but how many games that are on both storefronts really benefit greatly from that? The first one that comes to my mind is Darkest Dungeon but that's just based on hearsay for me.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Anyone asking for that is retarded, but I think the point is GOG fans like myself often want to avoid the DRM/client aspect of modern games, so 2.0 isn't really made for us. They're trying to expand their audience though, which I understand and don't blame them for. However giving beta keys to people like me is largely a waste of time.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Forsaken remastered is $5, first time I've seen it that low (though I wasn't paying super attention). Might also finally grab Dead State for $3, though I don't think it's RPG enough for me? I barely remember why I didn't get it originally but I think that was the gist of it.

ADL

Prophet
Finally got my hands on GOG Galaxy 2.0 beta and it's awesome. It accomplishes my goal of combining my library across almost every platform I use and not having to touch those clients ever again. The only reason I'd touch anything outside of Galaxy 2.0 is to buy games and do something proprietary like adding workshop mods and that can all be done in a web browser so the only reason I'd leave Steam installed on my machine is so GOG can open it when necessary for DRM and launch dependencies purposes. Cross platform chat isn't in yet. Galaxy doesn't close the other clients when you stop playing another platform's games yet, Microsoft's games show up under the Xbox platform but UWP titles for Windows aren't supported yet but should be coming since Phil Spencer endorsed and partnered with GOG.

Once community integrations start coming out, I figure we'll see the missing services I use (Bethesda.net/itch.io/Twitch) added and I won't have to touch anything outside of Galaxy ever again unless I move over to Linux. Speaking of Linux, it's just a damn shame that they're not open sourcing the client entirely. Not only would it address the lack of a Linux client because the community would do it themselves... But it'd allow the community to audit security and add missing features like Big Picture Mode that GOG have taken far too long to implement themselves.

10/10 would recommend if you'd like to combine your library in a clean, efficient way on Windows and this is only a beta with half the features missing. It's certainly a lot more appealing than this mess.
ZQaTyc1.jpg

ADL

Prophet
does it support game pass?
Yeah it does but only once you register those games on your account by installing them a single time. Once they're tied to your account, they're registered. The only game I actually own off this screen is Sea of Thieves and Killer Instinct (because it was free to download so I have the license on my account).
UJtZcdY.jpg

Since they're officially partnering up with Xbox, I wouldn't be surprised if that changes and all the games automatically show up if you're a GamePass user.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom