Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
That one fight in the Lonely Barrow when you go to fight the big skeleton dude and a bunch of skeleton archers spawn all around you and pick off all your squishy casters definitely has spawns.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The centipedes also still spawn in around you outside the mites' entrance to the Sycamore Depths, I think.

This centipedes are actually there all the time. I often hit them accidentally with the Stone Call spell from afar. They are hidden with Stealth and with high enough Perception you can notice an ambush beforehand. But DC for Perception is almost unreachable in chapter 1.

Roughly half of the spider packs in Lamashtu's Womb are like this too. See Invisible spell helps a lot with them. But others drop on the head from a thin air.

Shadenuat

Arcane
See Invisibility and True Seeing do exactly shit against natural sneak. Try finding ghosts in chapter 4 random map area around barbarian camp, you won't. The enemies seem to just either use basic hide + absurd sneak or scripted to achieve similar effect.

I once managed to find garukh wolfs at sycamore and I think it was due to me rolling 20.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
See Invisibility, I use Mass version is actually helps in some cases. Lamashtu's Womb packs are one of them. True Seeing is completely useless in my experience though.

Codex Year of the Donut
See Invisibility, I use Mass version is actually helps in some cases. Lamashtu's Womb packs are one of them. True Seeing is completely useless in my experience though.
Hm, True Seeing doesn't appear to do anything AFAICT.
Checked through the resource files & searched through the source. The fact part of it exists and is correctly applied by the spell resource, but nothing in the game actually uses it.

dnspy being buggy, found it with grep
True Seeing grants immunity to visual effects & the equivalent of see invisibility.
Code:
       public bool IsImmuneToVisualEffects
       {
           [CompilerGenerated]
           get
           {
               return this.State.HasCondition(UnitCondition.Blindness) || this.State.HasCondition(UnitCondition.TrueSeeing);
           }
       }
       public bool IsSeeInvisibility
       {
           [CompilerGenerated]
           get
           {
              return this.State.HasCondition(UnitCondition.SeeInvisibility) || this.State.HasCondition(UnitCondition.TrueSeeing);
           }
       }

First one allows you to bypass mirror image.

Code:
               bool flag4 = !flag3 && this.TargetAC - this.Roll - this.AttackBonus <= 5;
               if ((flag3 || flag4) && !this.Initiator.Descriptor.IsImmuneToVisualEffects)
               {
                   UnitPartMirrorImage unitPartMirrorImage = this.Target.Get<UnitPartMirrorImage>();
                   if (unitPartMirrorImage != null)
                   {
                       this.HitMirrorImageIndex = unitPartMirrorImage.TryAbsorbHit(flag4);
                       if (this.HitMirrorImageIndex > 0)
                       {
                           this.Result = AttackResult.MirrorImage;
                       }
                   }
               }

I guess it makes sense that a blinded person can't be confused by mirror image.

Shadenuat

Arcane
True seeing indeed allows you to overcome spell and concealment spell (character with it does not roll d100), but it is scripted in a such a way that it doesn't seem to help against concealment which is NOT scripted as spell.

Which is most first world enemies in game.

Perhaps they fixed this now tho.

Codex Year of the Donut
One thing I really like in BG(mostly BG1, I got far less out of it in BG2) was charming NPCs to get them to give me info. There's a lot of NPCs in BG1 that will give you info when they're charmed, a large portion of named NPCs have custom charmed dialogue including enemies.
Wish they included it for kangmaker.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
So if you didn't meet jubilost and kill the troll king first, you will never see him again?
I went to the place he shows up before the troll start attacking and he was not there. Then I never went there again because I've explore the whole place and totally forget it was the place you recruit him.
IIRC he shows up at your capital at the end of the chapter if you've somehow managed to miss him before then, but I could be wrong. Have you tried just going to the crossing? Just like the Sycamore, it's one of those places that changes depending on when you go there.

Haven't seen him in the capital, will try go to crossing later. thanks for the tip.

On 1.3.1, I had to reload a save made previous to the Troll/Dwarven Fortress mission to get him back. Once you complete that mission without Jubilost you're not likely to find him anywhere. He just... disappears. However, he really IS the best companion in the game so it's very much worth losing a lot of progress to get him back, imo.

entr0py

Scholar
So if you didn't meet jubilost and kill the troll king first, you will never see him again?
I went to the place he shows up before the troll start attacking and he was not there. Then I never went there again because I've explore the whole place and totally forget it was the place you recruit him.
IIRC he shows up at your capital at the end of the chapter if you've somehow managed to miss him before then, but I could be wrong. Have you tried just going to the crossing? Just like the Sycamore, it's one of those places that changes depending on when you go there.

Haven't seen him in the capital, will try go to crossing later. thanks for the tip.

On 1.3.1, I had to reload a save made previous to the Troll/Dwarven Fortress mission to get him back. Once you complete that mission without Jubilost you're not likely to find him anywhere. He just... disappears. However, he really IS the best companion in the game so it's very much worth losing a lot of progress to get him back, imo.

I have only recently started playing this and am enjoying it immensely. But as I'm not familiar with pathfinder rules and alchemist is completely new to me, why is Jubilost considered to be the best companion? What makes him shine compared to others?

Parabalus

Arcane

I have only recently started playing this and am enjoying it immensely. But as I'm not familiar with pathfinder rules and alchemist is completely new to me, why is Jubilost considered to be the best companion? What makes him shine compared to others?

Useful buffs, bombs are broken, and he's top tier for kingdom management.

He's also a billionaire gnomish chad.

entr0py

Scholar

Care to elaborate why bombs are broken? What's the issue with them? Or you mean they are just really OP? In that case which type(s) of bombs are the best generally? Also I have the Infusion discovery which should let me apply the mutagens to others, right? But it doesn't give the option to do so, as soon as I click the mutagen, Jubilost uses it, instead of being able to select other party member. I wanted to use feral mutagen on one of the party members.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

Care to elaborate why bombs are broken? What's the issue with them? Or you mean they are just really OP? In that case which type(s) of bombs are the best generally? Also I have the Infusion discovery which should let me apply the mutagens to others, right? But it doesn't give the option to do so, as soon as I click the mutagen, Jubilost uses it, instead of being able to select other party member. I wanted to use feral mutagen on one of the party members.

Bombs are broken because they're overpowered. I have a particular fondness for Jubilost because he turned the tide of several battles with his decent buffs. He's also the smartest and most sardonic of your companions and has something to say about everything.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Ekun is just a gatling turret with physical damage, as is his pet. He's strong but if he can't hit he can't. I don't think there is anything in the game Alchemist cannot damage on the other hand; and they are also great buffers.

Thonius

Arcane
I'm not reading 275 pages, but we're all in agreement that this game is shit, right?

I bought it on sale a day or so ago, and I'm not having any fun at all. I can't think of anything positive to say about it at this time. The interface and party ai, the story, the characters, etc.

My only hope is that the turn-based combat mod makes it vaguely enjoyable. I can't be bothered installing it right now, though. What a waste of time.
You're developer, right? Go and developer some taste you buffoon!

Last edited:

Turuko

Learned
i'm doing the carnage in the Irovetti palace...
holy shit indoor fights are the fucking worst, there were two wererat that were shielded by a couple of armchairs and the melee characters could not reach them :argh:

holy shit indoor fights are the fucking worst, there were two wererat that were shielded by a couple of armchairs and the melee characters could not reach them :argh:
Were they big enough to block the extra reach of enlarge person? I almost always have enlarge person up for the extra reach.

ArchAngel

Arcane
The centipedes also still spawn in around you outside the mites' entrance to the Sycamore Depths, I think.

This centipedes are actually there all the time. I often hit them accidentally with the Stone Call spell from afar. They are hidden with Stealth and with high enough Perception you can notice an ambush beforehand. But DC for Perception is almost unreachable in chapter 1.

Roughly half of the spider packs in Lamashtu's Womb are like this too. See Invisible spell helps a lot with them. But others drop on the head from a thin air.
They drop from the ceiling.. you know like normal spiders do. You can just say that they were also hiding there with very high Stealth.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Alchemists are completely and utterly insane just for being able to hand out buffs that are usually Personal. Shield on on Ekun's doggo? Yes, please. Shield on Amiri or anyone that is dual-wielding or dueling or two-handing, for that matter? Yes please.

Using Extracts on others is one of those optional powers that are so unique and so great that they become mandatory, and instead should be base class features and taken into account as such.
Were they big enough to block the extra reach of enlarge person? I almost always have enlarge person up for the extra reach.
This. Enlarge Person is useful for the extra reach alone. It looks wonky as hell, but just for the fact that Amiri can just wail from all the way behind Valerie and stuff like that makes it worth it.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Alchemists are completely and utterly insane just for being able to hand out buffs that are usually Personal. Shield on on Ekun's doggo? Yes, please. Shield on Amiri or anyone that is dual-wielding or dueling or two-handing, for that matter? Yes please.

Using Extracts on others is one of those optional powers that are so unique and so great that they become mandatory, and instead should be base class features and taken into account as such.

It's a common criticism of alchemists on the tabletop that if they don't take the infusion discovery then they lose the vast majority of their utility.

Never really understood why they throw such essential functionality behind a feat tax (or rather discovery tax).

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

It's a common criticism of alchemists on the tabletop that if they don't take the infusion discovery then they lose the vast majority of their utility.

Never really understood why they throw such essential functionality behind a feat tax (or rather discovery tax).
It makes sense insofar that they try to balance things, because it's probably considered way too powerful to be a base feature, so I wouldn't call it a "tax" at all (this is true for many things where people cry "feat tax!"), but at the same time, if something is so powerful as to be practically be considered mandatory, outclassing all other options so clearly, you've got other problems, and you should probably consider incorporating it into the base class in some other way.

Personally, purely from a balance perspective, I'd consider it a fair trade if it basically replaced Mutagen, for example, granted by Archetype instead of Feat/Discovery. Or something. Several classes could've used an Unchained version by the end, or just a reset of the system and rebalanced content that would still at least technically be compatible with the old one. Instead we're getting PF2, for some reason.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom