Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard announced "Classic" World of Warcraft

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Respects were in vanilla. Forgot what patch they put them in but it doesn't matter since classic will have them.

What Para said. By the time people were respeccing they'd long gotten their lv60 mount.

Respeccing is something you do once your twice while leveling. As a warrior, you can start with fury up to 40, then switch to arms, and then back to fury or protection when you are 60. That's what, 15G? Peanuts, especially compared with getting the gear you need to fill whatever role you want to do in raids. When i switched from resto to feral as a Druid i had to deck myself from scratch. I had to buy Devilsaur, start grinding instances again to get leather dps drops. Respeccing is like creating a whole new character it's not something you do on a whim, especially once you get a spot in a raid as a particular build you are not exactly going to want to switch around.

The only exception is battlegrounds, but you need an epic mount for that and like i said after you get one gold won't be as much of an issue.

Syl

Cipher
2) Asserting knowledge based on private servers, which are known to have many differences, especially those with regards to levelling speed, is retarded.
I played last year on a private server and it was extremely well scripted. Less than a dozen bugged quests out of thousands, and only 1 of them you couldn't validate. All dungeons and raids scripted, based on previous works and original vanilla videos (all vanilla raid add-ons working). No game breaking bugs in gear and talents. At this point, I wonder if it had less bugs than official vanilla wow.

Blizzlike server, so exact same levelling speed.

As for the money debate, it's really dependent of your knowledge of the game. All noobs will struggle. Particularly on a new server where there is no one to buy your stuff.

On this 10 year old server, it was pretty easy to make money. Copper at 1G like others said. I had 1000G at lvl 30 and 3000 at lvl 60.

On a new server, I'm not sure what's the best strategy. Obviously, hitting 60 as fast as possible is one, since you can then grind considerably more at max level. My guess is that after 2 weeks, there will be some lvl 60 on the server, so you take gathering skills (Mining and Herbs), store that on other characters and sell at lvl 40 to buy mount. If you're playing casually, there should be lots of higher players to buy. Fishing is also one of the best options.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
2) Asserting knowledge based on private servers, which are known to have many differences, especially those with regards to levelling speed, is retarded.
I played last year on a private server and it was extremely well scripted. Less than a dozen bugged quests out of thousands, and only 1 of them you couldn't validate. All dungeons and raids scripted, based on previous works and original vanilla videos (all vanilla raid add-ons working). No game breaking bugs in gear and talents. At this point, I wonder if it had less bugs than official vanilla wow.

As for the money debate, it's really dependent of your knowledge of the game. All noobs will struggle. Particularly on a new server where there is no one to buy your stuff.

On this 10 year old server, it was pretty easy to make money. Copper at 1G like others said. I had 1000G at lvl 30 and 3000 at lvl 60.

On a new server, I'm not sure what's the best strategy. Obviously, hitting 60 as fast as possible is one, since you can then grind considerably more at max level. My guess is that after 2 weeks, there will be some lvl 60 on the server, so you take gathering skills (Mining and Herbs), store that on other characters and sell at lvl 40 to buy mount. If you're playing casually, there should be lots of higher players to buy. Fishing is also one of the best options.
Playing on a private server is still nothing like the original classic experience. There's no mystery to any of the vanilla content, it's been known for years, optimal builds are trivial to find. Plus you're playing on 1.12 with talent specs that are far more powerful in most cases than were available at launch. And that's not even getting into QOL shit like greater blessings. Or all the content added that wasn't in at launch. It was an entirely different game that people didn't know how to play unless they were in a top raiding guild. Cookie cutter specs and gear weren't commonplace until TBC. And unless you lived through all the patches you can't really compare an experience on a private server to what vanilla was actually like progression-wise, or especially those early days of leveling your first 60.

Now, comparing a private server to Classic? That's absolutely fair. Because that's essentially what Classic is going to be.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Inflation tends to happen on private servers running vanilla WoW for a decade. There aren't too many money sinks.

Syl

Cipher
Inflation tends to happen on private servers running vanilla WoW for a decade. There aren't too many money sinks.
Ok, I'll give you some more details. You're right, inflation is inevitable. But frankly, it was much less than what I expected. I also played on rate2x and rate3x servers a long time ago, and approx. AH prices were multiplied by that amount. Here, they were lower. For these reasons, IMO:

First, the biggest money sink is actually when players stop playing. They often keep most of their money, which can be quite a lot.
Second, the inflation mostly concerns lvl 60 economy. Only a handful of items have insane prices, and they are only for the best players anyway.
Third, of course it also affects lower level economy, but you have to know the game pretty well to exploit that, which most people don't.

I played with dozens of people and I was always amazed how broke they were, some much better players than me.

As expected, some were a lot more competent than me at making money. Can you guess how much gold had the richest player on the server? It blew me away when he showed me (if you don't know how to do that, you open a trade window and type a number in the money box, the game will only display it if it's less than your money, and the other player will see that number).
1 million
If you're wondering, no, he didn't bought the gold or used cheats or exploits. He was on the server for several years and the admins knew this.

Absinthe

Arcane
Warrior damage is weapon dependent. Spellcasters and Druids might not give too much of a shit about gear while leveling their skills, but Warriors need to keep upgrading weapons (along with skills) in order to not have total shit damage. All the other gear is not really important though. And for some skills rank-ups just don't matter. The best leveling profession combo for a Warrior is probably herbalism+alchemy. Alchemy is a massive money-maker and potions + elixirs do a lot more for boosting dps and reducing downtime than blacksmithing or engineering does. Not to mention there are a lot of high-demand and powerful PvP potions you can make from low levels.

Beastro

Arcane
My guess is that after 2 weeks days, there will be some lvl 60 on the server,

A slight exaggeration, but it will be within the first week. It took about that long for people to do it every time on EQ progression servers and I doubt EQs exp rate has been eased enough to be on the level of wow (There are exceptions, the new Selo server is one and it's dying because it's exp and unlock rate is too quick).

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Here's my thoughts on leveling gear in vanilla since I keep seeing people talking about it. With caster classes gear doesn't mean shit, all you really need to look for is stam. Int is nice so you don't have to drink every 20 seconds but not so nice you should go out of your way for it. For non casters if you have a good weapon you're pretty much set. Physical damage is tied to stats but the meager amount of AP you gain going from +4 str to +6 str isn't worth investing any money in. Quest rewards and drops should be plenty to deck you out with str/agi and stam gear. The only thing worth spending money on is a weapon (MH only if you're a dual wielding) and you'll be doing that every 4 or 5 levels for your whole run if you don't take the time to farm something in an instance. Enjoy.

Beastro

Arcane
Respects were in vanilla. Forgot what patch they put them in but it doesn't matter since classic will have them.

What Para said. By the time people were respeccing they'd long gotten their lv60 mount.

I think that's extremely generous. Prob less than 50% of players had epic ground mounts before TBC hit, likely even less.

Really? Why?

I say because my guild was hardly power gaming and most of us found the time to get some of the epic mounts they later removed (My dead account still has the Teal Kodo sitting on it), though we all did start at launch if that made any difference. I quit long before AQ released prolly around mid-2005.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane

I think that's extremely generous. Prob less than 50% of players had epic ground mounts before TBC hit, likely even less.

Really? Why?

I say because my guild was hardly power gaming and most of us found the time to get some of the epic mounts they later removed (My dead account still has the Teal Kodo sitting on it), though we all did start at launch if that made any difference.

How many raids did you clear in vanilla? Easy to underestimate yourself, the average player didn't step even into MC.

Beastro

Arcane
How many raids did you clear in vanilla? Easy to underestimate yourself, the average player didn't step even into MC.

None, unless you count doing Blackrock Spire runs with whatever people PUGed with us that.

Got the first dungeon set completed, then worked to get some special quest helm or something before doing some quest for some extra trinkets to add 25 stam onto some armour pieces. Was done as much as I could, felt complete and knew we couldn't manage MC, then Battlegrounds released which I hated for killing open PvP and nothing else for awhile eventually drove me away. I came back in like June of 2007 for a bit but then RL shit prevented me from continuing that further.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
You still gain more than what you put in.
Wrong, it's the opposite. Repairs were sky-high in vanilla, in particular for plate users. Not until guild banks and guild money repairs did it get better, but even then was it a money sink. And not just repairs. Add to that consumables and respeccs as well.

The way to earn gold in classic is through professions and aoe grinding.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Well, I did gain more than i put it. Then again, the guild i was playing in was anal efficient and knew the raids inside out. With my resto druid i never died and with my fury warrior i only died a few times every raid, usually because of fuck ups.

I never made any money with professions, except for the odd 5g to 10g a day on with the arcanite transmute.

J1M

Arcane
You still gain more than what you put in.
Wrong, it's the opposite. Repairs were sky-high in vanilla, in particular for plate users. Not until guild banks and guild money repairs did it get better, but even then was it a money sink. And not just repairs. Add to that consumables and respeccs as well.

The way to earn gold in classic is through professions and aoe grinding.
Probably better if everyone just ignores him about WoW at this point. He thinks his 'lived experience' on a mature private server is authoritative about the actual game.

1000g was the cost of an arcanite reaper on my server and I bought one of those in the first month. Couldn't even tell you if raids were released at that point because grouping with 39 people sounded like a nightmare.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
imagine being a boomer drowning in nostalgia and looking forward to play a poorly balanced 15yo game

this post was made by the zoomer gang

zoom zoom

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Probably better if everyone just ignores him about WoW at this point. He thinks his 'lived experience' on a mature private server is authoritative about the actual game.

It's the same shit dude. I raided in vanilla too if that makes you feel better. Who gives a fuck. You keep talking about how things are different in private servers without ever going to specifics, probably because you know there's no difference when it comes to the shit we are discussing. I don't even know why you brought it up all i said is that quest money isn't enough to support you during leveling, and that selling gathering materials is a good way to give you a jump start early on. Now we are here discussing who knows what because you disagreed on such a basic point.

1000g was the cost of an arcanite reaper on my server and I bought one of those in the first month.

Good for you but how is that relevant with what we are talking about here?

J1M

Arcane
Some guy on this page claimed it was hard to come by 1000g unless you are raiding constantly.

Looks like he was using your account. :lol:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Some guy on this page claimed it was hard to come by 1000g unless you are raiding constantly.

Looks like he was using your account. :lol:

I was talking in the context of not farming (or rather, of just "playing" the game without extra grinding), which depending on your raiding schedule may not be something you want to do (my guild did MC, BWL, ZG and AQ once it was out all on a weekly basis i really didn't feel putting any extra time while trying to keep up with that, not the least because you really only need the epic mount for battlegrounds. Outside of that it's just an extra convenience you get it isn't really critical).

I mean, if you want to go balls out farming arcanite crystals and the like it's up to you. I didn't on Elysium because the grief from the Chinese mafia was too much, and i didn't on vanilla because i hated it then. All i did was raid and farm for consumables eventually i ended up with the money. Most of the try hard guilds got their gold running the Devilsaur cosa nostra game. You can say that that's just private servers but i doubt classic will be much different, and i don't remember it being all that different in vanilla either (Chinese sellers and all), and i actually started playing from day one there (and quit in the middle of BC out of boredom).

Last edited:

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin

As someone who has made developement for two, three different servers in potentially thousands of hours, this is just bollocks. In current strain of private servers ( Or any ever really) there really aren't any that'd not have massive differencies to how retail played out. Whetever something is scripted or not means very little when matters around it are dysfunctional.

One of the very good examples of this is how mob balance works and how they're often overtuned through two different values (attack speed - damage range) while undertuned thru' miscalculations based on lack of information ( sunder armor removing armor in linear fashion instead of more and more incrementally as stacks are applied )

Lets say we have mob called A on a private server. On private server, this mob A typically has attack speed ranging somewhere between 0.763 (something totally arbitary) and it's damage range is 150-165. In retail Classic, this said mob would have attack speed of 2 and damage range of 120-135. That's not a shy difference of minutiae scale. And this oftentimes is even more evident on elite mobs.

This is how most mobs in private server scene works vs. how they appear in retail. That is why we had mass amount of "retail classic is too easy, this is not how I remember vanilla" crying from peeps who base their experience entirely around private servers. They have no context, no understanding and then go claiming they know how it should be. Same goes with mob abilities. Majority of mobs in the core databases misses most of their abilities and usually have 1-2 notable ones to give just enough illusion, mainly for 1 reason. Adding abilities thru' database which is the easy way often bugs out in spectacular fashions and no core has yet solved this and coding them to have those abilities thru' core edits requires plenty of programming and is rarely cost effective.

The second notion is that no one knows how armor reduction calcultations are really done, same for resistances so we often end up situations where mobs lack armour entirely if they have their armor values set to their correct numbers instead of imaginary boosted armor values which is a -massive- boost to any melee DPS.

To say there would be less bugs on retail when they have access to proper 1.12 client for referencing than on a private server who has no real data on many of the major matters and have a lot of shit simply tuned out into wackiness only showcases there's a big perspective issues.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom