Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Grimlorn

Arcane
Much of the Codex's anti-romance sentiment is actually more about being "anti-people-who-really-like-romances". There's a narrative that BioWare's romances attracted a "bad crowd" that the studio destroyed itself by pandering to. Romances are seen as something that people have a tendency to care about to the exclusion of other things.

This I can understand, to an extent.

For me, romance in RPGs is an important thing because it feels weird to have this expansive narratives that last months of in-game time, and have every character be chaste and show no attraction that develops over time. Like other people have commented, it seems natural that people would find solace in romance (or sex) in desperate situations.
It's never well written. It's not something that needs to be in every RPG. You get fans like Bioware fans that think every option needs to be romanceable and every sexuality needs to be represented. These people are creeps and one of the reasons why Bioware had to shut down the romance section of their forums because these degenerates were fighting over characters and who was the biggest fan.

It also takes away resources from other parts of games, because so much work is put into dialogue, voice acting, and cutscenes for every romance scene. Those resources could be put elsewhere like writing a tighter narrative that isn't pigeonholed because they need to make sure everyone can romance and fuck everyone.

Gerrard

Arcane
The multiplayer element anyways has been known for a few years at least:

Cyberpunk 2077 will include online elements to ensure long-term success, says CD Projekt

By Joe Donnelly November 15, 2017

CEO Adam Kiciński talks multiplayer.

"We want to experiment in new fields that were not yet explored in the Witcher," says Kiciński above, as translated by YouTube's English subtitles. "I can’t say much about Cyberpunk, although our ambitions are set really high because that is our style of work. We want to go even higher, and especially seeing how we’re having a business chat, we’re interested in Cyberpunk being commercially even more significant."

On that point, Kiciński is asked about the possibility of multiplayer in Cyberpunk 2077.

He replies: "Online is necessary, or very recommended if you wish to achieve a long-term success. At some point, we have mentioned that there will be a certain online element related to Cyberpunk."​

Can't wait to be invaded by tranny gank squad.

Meanwhile Witcher 3 was still top selling game on steam 2 years after last piece of content was released with no online.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Meanwhile Witcher 3 was still top selling game on steam 2 years after last piece of content was released with no online.
Yeah. If they want longevity, they could put their efforts into things like improved mod support, or keep releasing more quality single-player content (expansion packs, free new quests like they did with TW3). I don't really care if they release some half-assed multiplayer mode later on, but "a certain online element" has an ominous ring to it.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
One of the devs a few years ago said that GTA V is the best game ever made. I'm not surprised, but still unhappy.
There is not one single way to positively spin the "certain online element." Every hay penny devoted to this bullshit isn't going to the real game.

jf8350143

Liturgist
how a single player focused RPG will benefit from useless multiplayer elements? The Witcher has no multiplayer and people liked how it was.
For some reason there are lots of people who always thinks "man I wish there is multiplayer mode" when they play a single player game, no matter the genre.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Of course, especially when the SP is good and the setting interesting. A simple emotional satisfaction pull combined with not wanting to think - to avoid feeling less sastisfied about something. Standard human psychology.
And naturally the MP gameplay is never the same as SP.

But i could see (if the Sp Cyberpunk is good - goty, etc) how they could sell the Night City to the MP crowd. Clans, factions, some playing corporate some the street thugs and netrunners, all fueled by microtransactions and some amount of user generated content. Seems very attractive when you dont think about anything else. I hope they will instead crash and burn but i can see how that could be sold quite well.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

I don't think online is viewed as adding many up-front sales to a largely singleplayer game anymore. It's more that having some kind of online mode where other people see your dress up doll pushes you to spend money on making that dress up doll look "cool."

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here

Yeah as said above this is BS, you DONT need it to be a success, CDPR just want to chase the sweet online (live service) monies.

Cocksucking decline hoople-heads and their multiplayer...

This is why we cant have nice things.

Grimlorn

Arcane
how a single player focused RPG will benefit from useless multiplayer elements? The Witcher has no multiplayer and people liked how it was.
So they can add DRM to the game while also claiming to be against DRM. If there is an online component the game probably can't be pirated.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
So they can add DRM to the game while also claiming to be against DRM. If there is an online component the game probably can't be pirated.
Piracy only really impacts sales in the first few weeks from launch. The people who pirate after that period would probably pirate anyway. They should understand this. But also, I'm not so sure DRM is even an issue here. It'll be on GOG.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Piracy only really impacts sales in the first few weeks from launch. The people who pirate after that period would probably pirate anyway. They should understand this. But also, I'm not so sure DRM is even an issue here. It'll be on GOG.
Yeah I'm not sure that an online component would prevent it from being pirated, but anytime I hear this crap about needing online for a single player game I fear the worse because of DRM schemes and microtransactions being milked. Single player games are going to increasingly become more boring and grindy so companies can charge you money to progress through them. Like Shadow of War with loot crates.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Yeah I'm not sure that an online component would prevent it from being pirated, but anytime I hear this crap about needing online for a single player game I fear the worse because of DRM schemes and microtransactions being milked. Single player games are going to increasingly become more boring and grindy so companies can charge you money to progress through them. Like Shadow of War with loot crates.
Grind has always been a part of single player games, and it's always been bullshit. Only truly stellar games haven't been bogged down by the grind.
I throughly enjoyed the Witcher trilogy, and am confident they know how to make a great RPG. Time will tell if they can pull it off again. This multiplayer quote is discouraging though.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
Multiplayer elements to ensure success...what the fuck is this, 2010?

The multiplayer of Inquisition and Andromeda surely ensured long term success for Bioware.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.vg247.com/2019/07/01/cyberpunk-2077-three-prologues/

Cyberpunk 2077 has three different playable prologues depending on your starting choice

In our E3 chat with Paweł Sasko, the lead quest designer on Cyberpunk 2077, we learned about the arid Badlands surrounding Night City, where the game begins. Apparently, though, the Badlands are just one of three playable prologues players can choose between at the beginning of the game.

In an email following up with Sasko after our E3 chat, he said:

“The player in Cyberpunk 2077 can create a custom character that has one of three origin stories, that we call lifepaths: you can be Nomad, Corpo or Street Kid. Each of that Lifepaths has a different starting location and story background that are strongly connected with the origin story. Anything more I say can reveal too much from the story, so I will leave it like this.”

Like The Witcher 3, Cyberpunk 2077 won’t feature a morality system. The developers are also teasing a New Game+ mode, which is great for players who want need to unload on enemies after an all-stealth playthrough. Here’s everything else we know about Cyberpunk 2077.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Grind has always been a part of single player games, and it's always been bullshit. Only truly stellar games haven't been bogged down by the grind.
I throughly enjoyed the Witcher trilogy, and am confident they know how to make a great RPG. Time will tell if they can pull it off again. This multiplayer quote is discouraging though.
I'm not talking about regular grind. I'm talking about making games more boring "purposely" so you spend money to proceed through content. They do this a lot with mobile games and everyone said it would never happen to regular games. But recently gaming companies have begun to do it. In Shadow of War they purposely made it this way to encourage people spending money on loot crates to get gear to proceed through the game. It's going to be the norm in the future. Even if they ban loot crates, they'll just sell digital items or something outright.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom