Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Does Icewind Dale get better ?

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
IWD was compared to diablo back when it was released

Generic-Giant-Spider

IWD was compared to diablo back when it was released

This is actually sad but true. I think they released around the same time, maybe even the same week and IWD's more dungeon crawl focus made game journalists say tons of goofy shit like how IWD is Diablo II's direct competition.

Modron

Arcane
Diablo 1 had a much more somber atmosphere that was really top notch in everything from the music to the foreboding area construction. Diablo 2 cartoonified up the atmosphere quite a bit, introduced skill trees, had a lot of the fun balanced away before Sawyer made that cool, and generally just wasn't as good.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Diablo 2, while good, is a different animal than its predecessor. It's much more about grinding for gear and optimizing builds, whereas the first one was an atmospheric dungeon crawler.

What exactly is good about the Dragon's Eye ? i in it right now and instead of fighting trash mobs skeletons i now fighting trash mobs lizards and is far less challenging and fun than fighting the giants and mages at the temple of the forgotten god.

Generic-Giant-Spider

What was wrong with Diablo 2?

If you hate screen clearing enemies in 0.2 seconds due to massive AOE and having one hundred effects feel like they're happening all at once, you have Diablo II to blame for that.

All the clones today take inspiration from D2 when they should be taking lessons from D1. The story sucked too.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Vale of Shadows is the worst part of the game (dat low level 2E AD&D) , and core rules is probably too easy for anyone not named Brian Mitsoda. That said OP is a low-effort troll. 2/5 trolling at best.
Just use the max difficulty setting, and your level 1 characters will have advanced to 7th or 8th level before you make it out of the first town. ;)

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
D2 had the annoying thing of not keeping mobs klled if you quit and reloaded the game. Diablo 1 you got that sense of completion (though i recall you couldn't get the drops off of old D originally since it went to ending cutscene). Yeah, you could restart an alt in D1 at any time and redo crap. You know, i would have loved to try the turn-based idea originally set out for diablo.

DemonKing

Arcane
What exactly is good about the Dragon's Eye ? i in it right now and instead of fighting trash mobs skeletons i now fighting trash mobs lizards and is far less challenging and fun than fighting the giants and mages at the temple of the forgotten god.

Once you start meeting some serious undead hordes later on it gets quite tough. Also the final level/enemy is very challenging.

I must admit I think the penultimate level is the weakest in the game though since the "deception" going on makes little sense in the context of a monster-filled dungeon.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
I must admit I think the penultimate level is the weakest in the game though since the "deception" going on makes little sense in the context of a monster-filled dungeon.
Yeah, I was happy to use a paladin as my "main character" on my first playthrough, it cuts through that bullshit quite nicely.

Sjukob

Arcane
Here's a better D&D game for you, doesn't take time to build up and it will only take you about an hour to beat it.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played through Icewind Dale after buying the enhanced editions of the IE games on a cheap sale, and IWD is the one I never really played through before.

It's thoroughly... meh. Yeah, the graphics and music are beautiful. The writing is decent. But it's just a linear dungeon romp with IE RTwP combat. I mostly enjoyed BG2's mid to high level combat, but that was also nicely interspersed with exploration and side quests. IWD is just the combat, and it would be a million times better if it were proper turn-based. I spent most of my time in IWD thinking "yeah this encounter is pretty good, but boy I wish it were turn based so I could actually properly aim my area effect spells and not have enemies walk out of their area of effect before they're even launched, which is made worse by the fact that there are no indicators for the size of the area the spell would affect". Thinking about that port of IWD to the ToEE engine some dude is working on (looks like vapourware but still) makes me way more excited than thinking about playing IWD as-is again. RTwP just isn't a very good system for D&D based games.

laclongquan

Arcane
Yeah, we have to remember the actual distance on screen for AoE spells. I am using fingers to measure on my PC monitor.

Make me remember fondly NWN2 engine.

Aaaaanyway, if ever I want to play IWD1 again, I would choose a mid-level party and play it on HoF mode right from beginning.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
It's unfair that enemies don't stand still when you target them.
I feel the same way playing the Conjurer in Nox.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom