Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Your Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Silentstorm

Learned
How the hell did we never have a proper Fallout game?

There are literally a few RPG games with Fallout in the title, it kinda became a franchise, you can say that the franchise isn't very good all you want, but there are proper Fallout games.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
How the hell did we never have a proper Fallout game?

There are literally a few RPG games with Fallout in the title, it kinda became a franchise, you can say that the franchise isn't very good all you want, but there are proper Fallout games.
The Fallout franchise deserved more than the first Fallout was IMO. I appreciated the atmosphere, the setting, the lore, the core ideas of the game's design, but it's actual execution that left me rather unsatisfied and contemplating about the unrealised potential that was initially built up by the game's creators. Basically, I want a Fallout remake with those flaws fixed, which involves improving/reimplementing certain parts of the game while leaving the parts that were done right the same. The first Fallout is a good game, but it's also a sorely flawed one.

Selfish and unreasonable an opinion it may seem, but still it's very appropriate for the topic of the thread. :)

Last edited:

Master

Arbiter
We never had a proper Fallout game (and most certainly will never get one)

The first Fallout is pretty close to being that, if it wasn't for the underwhelming combat and distressingly flawed plot (among other problems the game has)
Flawed plot, how so?

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
but sneaking into Cragscleft Prison is as memorable and awesome as it is because of the sounds of Hammerites reciting scripture echoing off the walls around you, the zombies creeping around in the mines, the experience of working your way up through the factory, through the prisons and into the oddly luxurious chapel and guard quarters and all that stuff.

That's not story, that the athmosphere which is mostly in service of the level design. And the level design is why people still replay Thief's levels and not for the narrative.

You weren't primarily interested in the conspiracy story, the dystopian setting, JC Denton's atrocious one-liners, the discussions on politics with insane-accent bartender guy, and characters like Everett, Paul, Chow, Page and so on?

Those things surely add to the charm of the game, and help to make it more meorable but it isn't what makes me replay the game.

I do think, however, that the stealth and FPS mechanics really are both total shit,

Yea, but again those two aspects aren't what solely constitute the gameplay.

I also don't agree that quest design is valuable on its own without a good story or setting to combine it with. To fall back on Bethesda games as a counter-example yet again, look at Fallout 3 - the quest design is technically sound, with many quests having multiple routes and solutions, skill checks in dialogue, combat and non-combat solutions, stealth options, and even a couple of creative solutions that require the player to have accessed information or talked to another NPC beforehand. It's just that none of this matters because there's no reason to care about any of it when it's in service of one of the most asshat retarded settings in all of gaming and every single piece of dialogue is mindblowingly shitty.

Not really. The concept might be cool but the execution is lacking, not because of the narrative (although that is most of the times shit too) but because everything else is just bad. The level design is bad, the gameplay is bad, the different paths/solutions to the quests are not earned because the game pretty much hands it to you. It's like a lot quests in Oblivion, take the Dark Brotherhood ones, they might give you something that sounds really cool like: Go to a Nobleman party and kill all the guests. But then when the you are there you realise that everything is just so barebones in design and so easy to complete that the quest just leaves you a bad taste in your mouth in the end.

When I first played Thief (I was 12), I barely understood or even cared what the story around the game was. I knew, for example in mission 2, that he was in the prision to release his friends because that was the objective, but the rest I didn't care. And that didn't in any subtract the enjoyment I had from the mission, because it was a damn good one.

And Fallout 3 doesn't have a lot of quests with multiple paths.

Japan hasn't produced a single good game this century

Then neither did Western devs.

Gr8 b8 m8.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Fallout 4 dialogue is the same as 3 and NV where you typically have four-ish choices in any given dialogue prompt, being either yes, no, [request lore], the edgy option, or just saying goodbye. Therefore people crying about the dialogue wheel as if earlier games actually had deeper RP elements are just dum dums who got trolled by a different visual format for the exact same thing they liked before.

The voiced protag sucks for RP though, that part is popular and correct.

Two pages late for this but I just had to reply. I played FO4 with the mod that shows the full dialogue options instead of just some keywords, and it was insane how many of the options either only differed a word or two, or were literally identical. That's not an unpopular opinion, that's you being objectively wrong.

Insert Title Here
I am aware of those mods and the fact that the dialogue is sometimes the exact same. There are also some fake speech checks, i.e. yellow checks that you cannot fail and don't even have recorded failure dialogue from what I can tell of the .txts on the wiki. It doesn't change the thrust of my post, which was that the dialogue is basically the same thing as previous 3D fallout games, yes, no, lore answer, or sarcasm, give or take a few options but it's not wildly different compared to something like say Planescape which has a whole damn novel of selections in the dialogue window. But I guess I have to expect a bunch of people to argue since it's an actual unpopular opinion ;)

Lemming42

Arcane
but sneaking into Cragscleft Prison is as memorable and awesome as it is because of the sounds of Hammerites reciting scripture echoing off the walls around you, the zombies creeping around in the mines, the experience of working your way up through the factory, through the prisons and into the oddly luxurious chapel and guard quarters and all that stuff.

That's not story, that the athmosphere which is mostly in service of the level design. And the level design is why people still replay Thief's levels and not for the narrative.

In my first post on this I did classify visual and audio design under "story/setting", as long as we were trying to draw a binary distinction between story and gameplay. I agree that many different elements of Thief (and every other game) work together to make it great, but I think saying the story or setting is completely unimportant would be just as ridiculous as saying gameplay or level design is completely unimportant.

And Fallout 3 doesn't have a lot of quests with multiple paths.

Believe it or not, it does, it just doesn't feel like it does because almost everything is so monumentally shit. Check the fancy quest flowcharts on the Fallout wiki, they show that every sidequest in the game has at least two solutions, often more, and often with two or more paths to reach each solution. That's why I thought it was a good example of my point about how story and setting can't be totally divorced from the game - talking purely technically, Fallout 3 handles quest design just as well as Fallout 1 does (we can do a full comparison if we have to), but it doesn't matter because the writing alienates anyone over the age of 12 so intensely that the game's achievements are rendered pointless.

I also think the fact that New Vegas is so highly-regarded (rightly, in my opinion) helps to illustrate the point further. It inherits Fallout 3's garbage combat, trash engine, has worse dungeon design outside a select few examples, and overworld travel is just as bizarre as Fo3 with random mobs of raiders spawning right next to populated towns, but none of it matters because the setting (including plot, factions, characters etc) is so well developed that the game ends up with a high ranking on the Codex Top 70 and we're still fondly talking about it 9 years after release.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
We never had a proper Fallout game (and most certainly will never get one)

The first Fallout is pretty close to being that, if it wasn't for the underwhelming combat and distressingly flawed plot (among other problems the game has)
Flawed plot, how so?
For one, how could the Master, who was said to have the intellect of a genius, not foresee that his plan had serious flaws in it? I mean the issue with mutants being unable to breed. How couldn't he know that actually being the case? I see two possibilities here:
(1) Someone misinformed him, so he falsely believed mutants are fertile;
(2) He came to wrong conclusions during his research on FEV (well, even a genius can be wrong sometimes).
In either case, how came he did not care to check whether mutants are able to breed or not? Why didn't he even try to test it experimentally? He was a scientist after all, if I remember it correctly, and a brilliant one at that (though this idea would inevitably come to any sensible person).

It also may be that there *was* a convincing explanation to this and I wasn't paying attention, so don't hesitate to correct me if I'm being wrong.

Last edited:

Okagron

Prophet
But I guess I have to expect a bunch of people to argue since it's an actual unpopular opinion
Except it can't be an opinion because you are objectively wrong. Please show me how every conversation in New Vegas is yes/no/lore answer/sarcasm (this makes no sense given the amount of branching paths in quests) or fuck off. I'm pretty sure you don't get to be sarcastic in New Vegas very often, it's actually something that happens rather rarely.

Dialogue of Fallout 4 is not the same as the previous games, not from the way it's presented or how options are handled. Fallout 4 doesn't even fall in your stupid list of options, there are conversations where three of them are saying just yes but in different ways (and this is not even with the charisma option for more caps). And this thing with multiple options meaning the same thing happens a lot, and i mean a lot.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Isn't there a Fallout 4 mod that takes the dialog options and presents them as a list of full sentences? And didn't that mod show there's no real point to doing it because of how limited they are? That's my memory of things.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Yes, I brought that up in my reply. There's many cases where the game will offer you multiple dialogue options of which two or three options are the exact same response, except with slightly different wording.

Then there's also the cases where you can be a snarky asshole between being a concerned dad, which in 90% of the cases doesn't do anything except soliciting an initial reaction and then sending you back to the exact same dialogue choices you'd have gotten otherwise. Only an exceptional individual would claim this is the level the games were always on.

thesecret1

Arcane
Half Life 1 is mediocre, Half Life 2 is worse.
Divinity OS and its sequel are both shit games with terrible gameplay and barely serviceable writing.
System Shock 2 is heavily casualised compared to its predecessor.
Mafia 2 is a garbage GTA clone that completely misses the point of what Mafia 1 was about.
Diablo 1 is a good game.
Gothic is significantly better than Morrowind.
Anyone who argues for gameplay over story or story over gameplay is an idiot not realising he should demand both to be good at all times, especially in RPGs.

Cadmus

Arcane
I hate the retarded shit pixel art gayness everybody here seems to love together with retarded as fuck UI.
Diablo 2 is a good singleplayer game.
Skyrim is garbage (you laugh but look at the Skyrim thread)
Baldur's Boredom is boring.
TW series has got good combat systems.
Dark Souls combat is good.
Atmosphere is more important than almost anything.

Nathir

Liturgist
Half life 2 is boring and the most overrated game of all time.

Baldurs Gate 1-2 have a trash combat system, that is a chore to play.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom