Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Shrimp

Arbiter
Swen in interviews sounds like people in front of committee/commissions/senate hearing " Mr. Swen you game will be TB or RTWP?" " I do not recall" no point in reading that shit.

This seems odd to me. Honestly aside from the Codex does anyone really care about TB vs RtwP? Its hard to imagine normies getting into the kind of raging arguments over this issue that we see here...
They had to purge a number of threads from the Steam forums because the spergs over there can't keep their complaints and demands contained to a single thread.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1086940/discussions/
Even now most of the threads are just people stating that they won't buy the game if something specific is/isn't included.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm betting more on DA:I style combat, rather than Twitcher. Or, you know, you'll bind 3 spells to your controller like the Witcher signs and that's going to be your Wizard. And either you'll indirectly control other party members, alla Mass Effect, or they'll come with their own controller bindings depending on class. The thing is, though, this is far too complicated for most people, having to remember which button on the controller does what on all the party members would be seen as too much and thinking about it would detract from the action. That's why I'm suspecting more DA:I or indirect control of party members.

My point is that every possibility is shit.

Last edited:

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I'm betting more on DA:I style combat, rather than Twitcher. Or, you know, you'll bind 3 spells to your controller like the Witcher signs and that's going to be your Wizard. And either you'll indirectly control other party members, alla Mass Effect, or they'll come with their own controller bindings depending on class. The thing is, though, this is far too complicated for most people, having to remember which button on the controller does what on all the party members would be seen as too much and thinking about it would detract from the action. That's why I'm suspecting more DA:I or indirect control of party members.

My point is that every possibility is shit.

Or you bind different schools/levels of magic to different buttons that bring up radial menus that allow you to choose the spell you want to use with the stick. Kind of like the Witcher menues only you get multiple ones.

Neerasrc

Learned
maybe.. might and magic

Might-and-Magic-X-12.jpg

The Real Fanboy
It's probably way too much to expect but I really hope they were inspired by Horizon Zero Dawn's combat!!! You could maybe even do something like Aloy's blast sling just being a fireball spell for wizards! Tho you could only probably have 1 or 2 other characters in your party (like when you fight Redmaw with Talanah) before combat got too easy instead of like the 5 in Deadfire :)

Neerasrc

Learned
No budget to make AAA games. No publisher support. The project ends before it starts. Result: Epic fail.
The game must be isometric..

Mortmal

Arcane

Lacrymas

Arcane
Well, at least seeing how low this game can go is going to be fun. They did say we are going to witness things we've never seen before.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
>What is the best when it comes to adopting your system to computer game?
>A mechanic that makes rolling dices faster in pnp enviroment, of course!

Jesus. We are seriously fucked. We are fucked beyond belief. I though we were already fucked heavily, but this takes the cake. We don't know anything about the game and we are already getting close to the "fight the Good Fight with your voice". I am speechless. There is no hope. This game is going to put a few people in the asylum.

:despair:

I don't know if you guys realize how deep into the shit the genre is about to be gragged by Larian with BG3. They are working on a field which they have already plowed ("ploughed") with D:OS/2.

Just to illustrate how important coop is to them - I have two colleagues at work who upon learning about BG3, immediately asked me if I'll be buying it so we can play coop together. Mind you, neither of them cared to know what the combat system would be. Because of D:OS2 which they've both played, they expect something similar, but this time in the "BG world". I literally had to show them on the map where Baldur's Gate is, and where the Sword Coast is. We are talking about people who play WoW together once in a while, and whose first experience with "serious RPGs" is D:OS2! "Serious" to their mind is anything that's isometric and not MMO. One of them is in his 40s, has played BG2 long ago, and really liked it, but doesn't remember much from it. So, that's the kind of audience which will be buying BG3. And this is how Swen just made 2 sales solely on the promise of "coop" and "Baldur's Gate 3".

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Don't know if this was posted, but according to this nazi article, Swen said that the camera perspective could "surprise" some players.

https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/baldurs-gate-3-preview-early-access-kamera,3345543.html

Which pretty much confirms that it won't be just classical isometric like BG1 and 2.

I don't read Nazi: can anyone translate?. I haven't really been following this thread for the past 10 pages or so - have I missed anything? People seem somewhat more agitated than usual.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't see what the problem with D: OS is. The first game only had the terrible MMO loot and the tone as strikes against it, and Swen Vincke is already on record in multiple interviews that the tone of BG III is set by the trailer -- i.e. it will be quite a bit darker.

To a decent first game D: OS 2 added the terrible armor system which Vincke has already acknowledged as a design misstep.

I can see how D: OS 2 can repel more discerning players due to the armor system but one's autism would need to far exceed mine to genuinely claim D: OS 1 as an outright bad game.

There are many reasons to be skeptical of BG III but being similar to D: OS ranks low among that list.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Don't know if this was posted, but according to this nazi article, Swen said that the camera perspective could "surprise" some players.

https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/baldurs-gate-3-preview-early-access-kamera,3345543.html

Which pretty much confirms that it won't be just classical isometric like BG1 and 2.

I don't read Nazi: can anyone translate?. I haven't really been following this thread for the past 10 pages or so - have I missed anything? People seem somewhat more agitated than usual.
It's more or less just stuff we already know from the numerous other interviews.

Google translate of the summary:
In an interview at the E3 in 2019, Swear Vincke of Larian Studios revealed new details about Baldur's Gate 3.
Fan criticism and feedback from the community are important to Larian - but central gameplay elements such as the combat system should not be changed.
Baldur's Gate 3 is about as extensive as Divinity: Original Sin with a length of 60-100 hours. But the replay value should be much higher.
The main story revolves around the illithids from the teaser trailer, but you'll also visit the city of Baldur's Gate before the Tentacle invasion.
For the first time, the camera angle of Baldur's Gate 3 could not be classically isometric.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Fan criticism and feedback from the community are important to Larian - but central gameplay elements such as the combat system shouldn't see changes. (in the sense that they aren't expected to change)

For the first time [in this series], the camera angle of Baldur's Gate 3 might not be classically isometric.

These are more accurate translations. The others are fine in their meaning.

Artyoan

Arbiter
I just wanted to stop by and ask just what you guys have been discussing for 196(!) pages when fuck-all information has been released.
We need not know where a castle is nor the nature of it's fortifications before we draw up a thousand different contingency plans to lay siege to it.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
So, everyone agrees it's gonna be a Oculus Rift exclusive turn-based first person shooter with compulsory gay romances (like you can't finish the game if you don't homo romance) and the soundtrack composed by Josh Sawyer?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom