Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Your Unpopular Gaming Opinions

frajaq

Erudite
Art direction is one of the most important aspects of videogames and gets ignored by a lot of RPGs these days

otsego

Cipher
- I liked the supernatural parts of Thief

- Brutal DOOM is the most fun way to play DOOM and is the best FPS currently

- Mouselook in DOOM is superior to just keyboard

- Civ4 is ugly as hell and its only saving grace is Leonard Nimoy

- HOMM2 is more enjoyable than HOMM3

- Half-Life 2 is still a great game

- Halo 1 multiplayer was more fun than GoldenEye

- Hitman Contracts is an amazing addition to the franchise

Swigen

Arbiter
Sawed off and “bull pup” shotguns should be illegal. Not because they’re “easy to conceal“ or because they have a more “aggressive spread”. They need to be banned ‘cause they’re a retarded design and people keep shooting their hands off using ‘em.

Lookit where this idiot’s left hand is...

KSG_blast_9661.jpg

Now lookit where it is... (WARNING: DON’T LOOK IF EATING)

KelTec-injury.jpg

See all these small shotguns is pump action. People are pumping aggressively whilst rapid firing and their hand slips off the pump in front of the muzzle when they pull the trigger. Y’all be careful out there.

Silentstorm

Learned
I actually genuinely like Undertale's gameplay and find the fights to be a ton of fun to a point where i wished there were more enemies with unique gimmicks to fight.

thesecret1

Arcane
Here's one that'll really trigger a few: Fallout 2 is trash.
It kinda is. The amount of cut content is massive and encountered on every step. The very first companion's (Sulik's) questline is cut, for heaven's sake. It becomes a pretty damn good game with mods that restore cut content, though.

sullynathan

Arcane
There is no merit to your game being an rpg

People have forgotten that the reason to play video games was for enjoyment

It's unfortunate that the more you play stealth games you realize that they are a genre in which you manipulate docile unintelligent enemies or else the game would be too difficult to play.

Atmosphere and immersion are severely overrated.

There's no difference between witcher 3 and an assassin's creed game in terms of gameplay and design.

For the codex specifically: MGSV is a great game, stop acting like it's not.

Splinter Cell surpassed thief and was a worthy successor of its mechanics and design.

Gothic's combat always sucked and action rpgs can be directly compared to action games since they share the same fundamental gameplay.

Halo is (was?) good.

Eastern Europeans ruined the codex and most codexers are story fags even though they lie for brofists

I'll go completely the other way into a probably equally unpopular view and say that videogames, including RPGs, often succeed more on story and setting than anything else. I used to think gameplay was above all else before I realised a lot of my favourite games are mechanically flawed or basic and succeed based on sound and visual design and interesting settings.

Look through the Codex Top 70. Planet Escape: Tournament, Fallout, Arcanum, Bloodlines, Morrowind, New Vegas, Deus Ex... a lot of these games are more about reading engaging stories and exploring fascinating worlds than gameplay. In some cases the gameplay (PST combat) is annoying shit that you only tolerate because you're there for the story, world and characters.
In general you agree that story and/or world building is integral to the rpg experience or should I say, it is required and should be a major focus? Doesn't sound like an unpopular opinion but rather a very popular opinion.

Swigen

Arbiter
The new Slipknot album is gonna suck so much dick.

Same old Corey, “Aw man, dis new stuff? I swear dis new stuff heavier den Iowa!!!”.
< Releases single that sounds like Stone Sour >

Same old Weinberg “one two one two” drum machine.

HEEEERREEE COOOMES THE GAAAAY PAAAART!!

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Deus Ex: Invisible War is slightly overbashed.

US release was, from what I've heard, an INSANE bugfest. That's probably why *everybody* hated it, even the the console pleb.

So yeah... it's a bad game and a horrible sequel to the original Deus Ex. BUT!!! In the awful POPAMOLE HELL of 200X console shooters it's actually not that bad. I would rather play Invisible War than nostalgia bullshit like Republic Commando.

Last edited:

wyes gull

Savant
-Turn based should be the only acceptable way to do combat or action in a cRPG; every game using another system should belong to another genre
-Action games with RPG mechanics are just shittier action games 99% of the time
-On that note, anyone who thinks a horrible shooter/walking sim/trash collecting sim like Fallout 3 can be fixed with better writing and quests is delusional (oh, and ironsights, don't forget ironsights)
-On THAT note, if it wasn't obvious enough, FNV is mediocre
-We (and I include myself) are way too soft on games with shit gameplay just because they have decent writing/worldbuilding and as a function of that, games have gotten/are getting worse
-Anyone who can go into a tirade about the plot (or writing) in a game whilst giving the gameplay a miss is missing the forest for the trees and should stick to books or movies instead
-RTWPs can fuck off and die and take MMOs and Diablo clones with it
-Medieval fantasy is tacky as fuck
-David Perry is a hack and most of his (popular) games are vastly overrated

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Dark Souls combat is good.

This isn't an unpopular opinion at all, I don't think. Even I, someone who found Dark Souls to be very much "not for me" would say the combat was good. It was other aspects of the gameplay I did not like.

Deus Ex: Invisible War is slightly overbashed.

I know from experience this is a VERY controversial thing to say, but I agree with you. It's not great by any means and is easily the worst Deus Ex game (and worst "immersive sim" probably?). However compared to a lot of other early Xbox era games it's not that terrible, and now that it runs smoothly it's not that annoying to play. It mostly just suffers by comparison to everything else in its genre, but there's honestly not a lot in that genre, so it's still very much worth playing.

Unwanted

Elephantman

Unwanted
Had an thought dejavu recently - Pool of Radiace is a much worse Baldurs Gayt.
You spent a million years watching enemy pixels move and you spam Sleep, Web, Stinking Cloud, Fireball.
And Pool is so much worse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom