Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Name a well-loved or "classic" RPG that you've never played

mondblut

Arcane
Dungeon Master. I wandered the first level for a few minutes, but I am unwilling to waste any more of my time on an Eye of the Beholder, let alone one in EGA and without D&D connection.

Wizardry before 5, because I like my dungeon crawls to have a sense of purpose.

Bard's Tale because they suck, honestly.

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Torment. I did try once, it just felt so clunky and I wasn't aware of a high res mod at the time. Planning to try again someday.

Ultimas before 8, not a fan of the perspective. Will play someday.

Gothics, only played Risen onwards. No real reason, just never tried. Will maybe play someday.

RoA, have difficulty playing grid based crawler style games (disorientation issues) although I liked Wizardry 7 because of the nice graphics.

Darklands, wasn't aware of it when I was young, now it's too dated. Still want to try though.

AoD, not my cup of tea.
If it helps, RoA2 and 3 both are in 3d and even have the option to disable stepwise movement if you want.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bester Wizardry 8 is the only Wizardry that isn't too dated to play. Plus it's great. Only downside: 300 hour playthrough.

Unkillable Cat I'm surprised about the original Deus Ex. Not that you haven't played it, that you think you don't have time for it. It's not very long and it is still damn good.

There are a ton of "classics" that I haven't finished but that's not the question. I don't know, I feel like I've at least got my feet wet in most of the Codex darlings.

Eye of the Beholder, I guess. I was never really aware of it. If I had been I probably would have tried it for a while and then abandoned it.

I was mortified to learn that there was a sequel to Wizard's Crown that I never knew about, as WC was one of the best RPGs of its time. So I never played that sequel. Again, too dated to go back and play now sadly.

For me, it's Ultima series. I hate the birds eye view perspective used in 6 & 7. Its core gameplay is also far less interesting than its fellow 1st generation cRPG Wizardry series.

I was not able to get into Ultima 4,5,6 because of the lack of automap and bad controls/UI

just about all of them except for Deus Ex and SS1. Looking forward to Thief the dark project and SS2 soon.

also, how do you access bester's socially important posts?

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Dungeon Master. I wandered the first level for a few minutes, but I am unwilling to waste any more of my time on an Eye of the Beholder, let alone one in EGA and without D&D connection.

Wizardry before 5, because I like my dungeon crawls to have a sense of purpose.

Bard's Tale because they suck, honestly.
What's so bad about Bard's Tale (Haven't played them)?

Barbalos

Savant
Arcanum , I tried to play when I was younger and dumber, couldn't get the hang of fighting and some bugs were getting me. I will try again eventually.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
Haven't played Planescape torment or either of the Icewind Dales. Want to play both of them at some point but I just finished my full Baldurs gate trilogy run and am currently playing Kingmaker for the 1st time and I'm prob gonna be burnt out on these types of games for a short time. Also, going back to 2E character creation/building from Kingmaker isn't exactly appealing.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
PS:T - I simply never got around to it as a kid / young man. I suspect I like the story and writing, but the gameplay seems very archaic and hard to get into? Maybe I will play it.
Ultima
Wizardry
IWD
Alpha Protocol
Arcanum (I started a few times, but always uninstalled, couldn't get into it for some reason)

aeroaeko

Learned
Arcanum. My loading screens (with ssd) are like 3 minutes long. I dont understand. And the mods to make it run at 1440p just seem to break the game more.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
:nocountryforshitposters: Eye of the Beholder is a Dungeon Master-like, and you should have been playing DM's Amiga version (which admittedly only has Atari ST graphics, but still better than PC EGA, plus the Amiga version upgraded to stereo sound, which is used effectively).

Pretty sure we've had this thread before. Oh wait no, I'm thinking of the thread about games you were unable to finish.

Games that I haven't even played for five minutes? I'm sure there are many more than I am aware of, but the big-ish ones that I know about are:

Ultimas 1-3 (no real interest at this point honestly)
Dark Heart of Uukrul (someday)
Albion (I think I may have watched the intro from the shareware version of this when I was younger and immediately just noped out. Not sure why, no real memory of it)
Fallout Tactics (no interest)
Lionheart (can't be bothered to get invested in Barcelona and then let down by the rest)
Any Final Fantasy game (jrpgs are a tough sell for me. I might play III/VI someday though since everyone sings its praise to high heaven)

More recent:
Legends of Eisenwald (sitting in my gog library, but just haven't gotten to it yet)
T:ToN (ditto)
Serpent in the Staglands (in my Steam library, was unable to get it to launch. Should try some troubleshooting as this one in particular looks like my kind of game)

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Realms of Arkania series.
Just as the first game was coming up on my chronlogical play list, rumours about the Remake began. And it's still not on GOG, so it's kind of in limbo for me. And to make matters worse, apparantly the first remake sucks, while the rest are good.

Arcanum.
I had a more busy life back then, and what time I had for gaming was for a large part used on PB(E)M games. Also, being a storyfag the game didn't seem crucial to me.

Forgot to mention:

Wizardry 8 and Temple of Elemental Evil.
Both came out in the period when I had little free time, and I can't recall ever seeing them for sale in the stores, and certainly not in the bargain bins.

I bought a lot of games back then, and some of them are still in my backlog, while others I've only played quite recently, like JA2, Nox, and HoMM 3 expansions.
A game I didn't buy was Divine Divinity, because it's the stupidest name of a game ever.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Arcanum is probably the biggest for me.

Couldn't accept such lousy looking visual representation and art direction from creators of Fallout and the mix of technology and magic ruined any kind of internal coherence and logic for me.

ManaJunkie

Arbiter
Deathlord....maybe some day i will do it.
New Vegas...i blame Fallout 3 for this!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom