Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Best Year of the 1990s for Gaming

Best Year

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 6.5%

Votes: 3 9.7%

Votes: 2 6.5%

Votes: 1 3.2%

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • 98 (best choice)

Votes: 11 35.5%

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • 2006, for TESIV: Oblivion (mandatory kingcomrade option)

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters

Lemming42

Arcane
Which was the best year for new releases in the 90s? It's 1998, but just for the sake of discussion, let's pretend there's actually a debate to be had here.

Pick your best year and list your three games from that year. Then we'll have a massive multi-page argument about which year has the best selection where everyone rates each other Shit and retadred, and then we'll eventually agree that it's 1998, objectively.

My choice is 1998, and my top three are Half-Life, Thief and Unreal. EDIT: Forgot Fallout 2. That's how SPOILT FOR CHOICE we are with 1998.

What's your choice? Go.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
1991: Lemmings, Another World, and Civilization, plus Populous II, Oh No! More Lemmings, Wayne Gretzky Hockey II, Street Fighter II, Legend of Zelda III: A Link to the Past, Final Fantasy 2/IV, Fate: Gates of Dawn, Disciples of Steel, Might & Magic III, Eye of the Beholder, Death Knights of Krynn

UnAutreMonde-910x643.jpg

Syme

Arbiter
'99 probably. I was big into shooters back then and 1999 had Quake 3, Unreal Tournament, SWAT 3, Aliens vs. Predator, Rainbow Six Rogue Spear, Team Fortress, and of course Counter-Strike, which gobbled up most of my free time from beta 4.0 onward. Everyone was playing dust and prodigy, mainly because dust2 hadn't been invented yet

There was also my (now) all-time favorite Jagged Alliance 2, though I didn't stumble upon it until years later because I had yet to shoot more people in first person. Other '99 gems that I only discovered later were Alpha Centauri, X-Wing Alliance, Freespace 2, Heroes of Might & Magic 3, Homeworld, Dungeon Keeper 2, and The Longest Journey. Driver was also good, but it was frustrating me to the point where I stopped playing.

System Shock 2 also came out in '99, but I have to admit that I never played it :(. I'll get around to it someday...

Also Planescape Torment, which was alright if you're into RPGs and stuff.

DemonKing

Arcane
1998 easily - as it had Baldur's Gate, Thief & Half Life which are easily all on my favourite games ever list.

Good backup with Fallout 2 and a little game called StarCraft too.

Swigen

Arbiter

I originally googled Twisted Metal 2 but lookit what else came out that year...

Resident Evil
Diablo
Mario 64
Quake
Command and Conquer: Red Alert
Tomb Raider
Jet Moto
Duke Nukem 3D
Persona
Super Mario RPG
Crash Bandicoot
Dead or Alive
Civilization 2
Front Mission 2
Kirby Super Star
Jumping Flash 2
Destruction Derby 2
Metal Slug
Nights into Dreams
Star Ocean
King of Fighters ‘96
Bust a Move 2
Tekken 2
Elder Scrolls: Dagger Fall
Wipeout XL
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Kings Field 3
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
Donkey Kong Country 3
Mega Man 8
Area 51
Virtua Cop 2

Neanderthal

Arcane
92. Underworld and Black Gate, still not matched.
Dune 2, rts pioneer.
Wolfenstein 3d, not a patch on the Underworld engine but pioneered the fps, changing gaming.
Alone in the dark, survival horror born.
Fate of Atlantis, lucasarts at their height.

ManaJunkie

Arbiter
Dune 2, rts pioneer.
Wolfenstein 3d, not a patch on the Underworld engine but pioneered the fps, changing gaming.

Yes! And Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny. The dawn of one of the best rpg series on pc.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I've played through most of the worthy games from the 1990s, although only from the genres CRPG, FPS and Turn Based Strategy, and 1999 definitely took the longest time to get through.
So 1999 is my choice. Granted, some of the time was spent on lots of good user made content released that year, especially for Thief and HoMM 3, but the commercial games I completed is a solid list:

Natuk
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
Heroes of Might and Magic III: The Restoration of Erathia
Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast
Jagged Alliance 2
Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor
Unreal Mission Pack 1: Return to Na Pali
System Shock 2
Heroes of Might and Magic III: Armageddon's Blade
Age of Wonders
Half-Life: Opposing Force

My 1998 list is shorter:
Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven
Unreal
Fallout 2
Half-Life
Thief: The Dark Project
Baldur's Gate

1992 and 1993 were great years for CRPGs, of which I completed these:
Castle of the Winds: A Question of Vengeance
Black Crypt
Ultima Underworld
Treasures of the Savage Frontier
Dark Queen of Krynn
Darklands
Might and Magic: Clouds of Xeen
Wizardry: Crusaders of the Dark Savant

The Legacy: Realm of Terror
Ultima Underworld 2
Might and Magic: Darkside of Xeen
Betrayal at Krondor
Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos
Dark Sun: Shattered Lands

And 1993 was an extra good year because it saw the release of the first good FPS (Doom) and the best 4X game I've played (Master of Orion).

ManaJunkie

Arbiter
Dune 2, rts pioneer.

Yes! And Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny. The dawn of one of the best rpg series on pc.
Fuck....didn´t mention Crusaders....the shame will be with me....always....

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Lemming42 makes a critical error by failing to mention whether he's only referring to PC gaming, or gaming in general.

Regardless he's wrong on the year. 1998 was good, but it doesn't hold a candle to 1991 and/or 1992.

If Lemming meant gaming in general it's 1991, otherwise it's 1992. My argument on both years is the same: The gaming market was vastly different, especially when compared to 1998.

Zed Duke of Banville has done a good job of justifying 1991 on both fronts. That year there were literally over a dozen gaming platforms active and getting retail releases, including the PC. A proverbial smorgasbord of gaming for new systems and old. Two of the biggest releases of that year (A Link to the Past and Street Fighter 2) also ended up being two of the greatest games ever made and two of the most influential titles in gaming. It was also the year the first graphical MMORPG was released, and the Super Nintendo was released in the U.S..

But for PCs the real golden year is 1992, for two reasons: Firstly that several big gaming platforms became discontinued on January 1st, which cleared the market of older systems and allowed the survivors to flourish (especially the PC), and secondly that the PC became the first platform to meet the much-desired Multimedia standard, and could play back video and audio on a level comparable to home television. A few of the surviving platforms had managed to grow and become stronger through the years (notably the Amiga and Apple Macintosh) but none of them had done so on the scale that the PC had been doing for the past 11 years, going from a standardized monochrome office tool with 256kb of RAM (at best), to a multi-purpose home computer capable of 256-color VGA graphics and playing digital sound. 1992 was the year that the PC snatched the crown from the Amiga as the leading home computer, by both having a solid userbase and the most powerful hardware. And almost as if on cue, the first games that utilized the top-end of PC hardware arrived on the market, most notably Ultima Underworld and Ultima 7. Wolfenstein 3D also made a splash by showing that the PC was capable of first-person rendering with modern graphics and at a good speed. The world was the PC's oyster, and the feast was about to begin.

Now let's jump ahead to 1998. Compared to the start of 1992 the gaming market has seen massive changes. Amstrad and Atari have closed up shop on the computing front and Commodore is a near-lifeless corpse, guarded zealously by die-hard Finns. SEGA is about to be taught a lesson that'll see it later departing the console market, leaving the PC, the N64 and the Playstation vying for the gaming market. Thanks to Doom's release four years prior everyone is raging about 3D and polygon graphics, with no room or quarter being given to any other forms of gaming except the most hardest of franchises, most notably RTS games. On this front the PC has a clear advantage, and many of its releases for the year demonstrate that all too well. And yet, something is missing from before. The market has grown much tougher, more edgier. The air of innocence that had permeated gaming back in 1992 is gone, the flora of gaming has been outright culled to make room for the new juggernauts of gaming. The age of the AAA titles was about to begin. Many advancements and improvements have been achieved, but the price has been high indeed. The PC gaming market had felt this in the past two years, but fortunately 1998 was when this started to turn around a bit, that people realized that jagged polygons alone won't make a game. The Incline brought by both 1998 and 1999 didn't turn the tide, but it delayed it somewhat. 1998 was also the year that Microsoft began development on the X-Box console, and as the X-Box is the Single Worst Thing to happen to gaming in general, it is nigh-impossible to give the year 1998 the top award for Best Year in Gaming (for the 90s).

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
Ah yes, the 90s.

From 95-01, I had no computer. At times, no TV. At times, noodles with onions and soy sauce.

I missed a lot :(

I'm torn between 1996 and 1997.

1996 for Quake, DN3D, Resident Evil, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 / Trilogy, Street Fighter Alpha 2, Street Fighter EX, Civ2, Warcraft 2, Z, Super Mario 64, Virtua Fighter 3, NiGHTS into Dreams, Red Alert, Saturn Bomberman, Fire Fight, Strife, Xenophage (and Tomb Raider / Mario 64 - personally don't like them but they were influencial as hell)

1997 for Quake 2, Jedi Knight, Turok, Blood, Shadow Warrior, Redneck Rampage, Hexen 2, Take No Prisoners, Diablo, Postal, Dark Colony, Myth: The Fallen Lords, Total Annihilation, Tekken 3, Street Fighter 3, FFVII, Blade Runner, Ciemna Strona

... bur for me both of there years are special for quite different reason - introduction ('96) and rapid spreading ('97) of 3DFX accelerators. Diamond Moster was a game changer and could turn even mid-tier PC into fucking BEAST. Consoles (even N64) were laughable in comprison back then.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Oh. To clarify, it's everything - as much as I'm into the whole PC MASTER RACE stuff there's a lot of really great games and innovations happening on consoles in the 90s.
And a lot of great original Amiga games were released in the first half of the '90s, including both Lemmings and Another World in 1991.

AO9RfGo.png

1JrxVeh.png

Lemming42

Arcane
Since people are listing more than three games, here's an expanded 1998 list:

Fallout 2
Spyro
Thief
Crash Bandicoot: Warped
Commandos
Resident Evil 2
Tomb Raider III (worse than the previous two TR games but still good)
Starcraft
Half-Life
Heretic 2
Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus
MediEvil
Bushido Blade 2
WH40k: Chaos Gate
The Elder Scrolls: Redguard
Myth 2
Star Trek: Klingon Honor Guard
Rainbow Six
Unreal
Parasite Eve

Will also mention Delta Force and SiN, both of which are kind of shit but round the list off nicely.

For some reason I thought the excellent and very underrated Urban Chaos was 1998, but it's apparently 1999, so that's a free entry for anyone who's making a 1999 list.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Heh, I selected '93 because that was the year the most seminal game in PC gaming history came out. Y'all know what it was... or should know ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom