Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Name a well-loved or "classic" RPG that you've never played

Darth Canoli

Arcane
The Gothic series, the genre isn't my cup of tea even if i'm tempted, sometimes, due to the praise these games get around here.

The witcher series, not gonna happen.

Oblivion, Skrym, not gonna happen either, Morrowind was bad enough i don't want anything to do with that franchise.

New Vegas, Fallout 3 was such a huge decline i stopped caring at all about that franchise, tempted to try New Vegas but i always find an excuse (or something else to play) not to.

Deus Ex, same reason, it's probably good but it's not my genre, could change my mind at some point.

Dark souls franchise, not gonna happen ...

Anachronox, Alpha protocol, System shock franchise (bis).

MotB, NwN 2 engine is so bad it discouraged me, wanted to do it last year but started to replay the OC first, shouldn't have done that ...

Last edited:

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've never gotten the hype around the Witcher games. I've tried playing one and two several times and I get bored a few hours in. They seem to be very restricting when it comes to the actual RP in RPG, even compared to things like Gothic that have a predetermined character you play as well.

PsychoFox

Educated
Baldur's Gate 2. I don't like the high fantasy writing and 30fps sadly makes me sick. It's a shame really.

Martyr

Arcane
since played ≠ completed, I've played pretty much every RPG that's available somewhere on the internet. some games for 5 minutes, others for a few hours, others for an eternity.

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Knights of Chalice. There are some Gold Box games I have not even tried, doesn't mean I don't have them but I will one day play them in some sort of an order.
Believe me, the RPG drought earlier in this millenium was so bad that I dug out also the most obscure ones, Amiga emulations etc. to at least try.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Almost all of the blobbers since I don't really like the genre...
Also KotC which I'm waiting to get into Steam to play. Even though the UI looks atrocious in every picture that I've seen

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
Fallout. Any of them. Huzzah!

I have played Ultimas 1-7, but never finished 6 or 7 because I find the changed perspective and "exciting new graphics" to look like shit. About to replay U2 for the first time in, hmmm, 35 years, ought to be interesting.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Arcanum was, is, and always will be the best RPG ever and nothing the haters say can change it.
Was it your first RPG? The first one always has a special place in your heart. But it's not the best for most people, because Fallouts are simply better.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I've played almost every Kodex Klassic to some extent but I've never played Planet Escape: Tournament and Vamp Ass Queer: Buttlines more than a few hours.

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
A friend gave me a boxed copy of Deus Ex on my 14th birthday. I've only played the first level. However I've re bought on steam and it's installed. I'll start it soon. My Dad's work friend also gave me a pirated copy of System Shock 2, didn't bother with it. I think back then I just wasn't interested, I played Age of Empires 2, Diablo 2 and Tropico. Sim City 3000 as well. All good shit.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Arcanum was, is, and always will be the best RPG ever and nothing the haters say can change it.
Was it your first RPG? The first one always has a special place in your heart. But it's not the best for most people, because Fallouts are simply better.

Not my first but one of the earlier ones. And there's nothing before or after it that reached it in setting, choices, character system.

Even I admit encounter design is utter trash though.

Egosphere

Arcane
Arx Fatalis. I left it half way through and never got back to it. Magic system and the 'sim' elements were good, but the setting let it down.

Arcanum is probably the biggest for me.

the mix of technology and magic ruined any kind of internal coherence and logic

What? It makes perfect sense, in-game

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've never played Ultima 6 or 7. I don't think I plan on it, it doesn't look impossible to play or anything but something about it I just can't seem to get into. I feel like I should be a fan of Ultima to get into them.

Insert Title Here
I installed Gothic, realized it had tank controls, and immediately uninstalled it. Although I wonder if I was being too hasty. I just can't imagine that an rpg with tank controls has good things to offer elsewhere.

Mark Richard

Arcane
Many of the Gold Box games from the late 80s to early 90s (at least I'm assuming they're well-loved). The Dragonlance series, Pool of Radiance series, etc. My first love was dungeon crawlers like Eye of the Beholder, Captive, and Dungeon Master. Didn't graduate beyond that until 92 onwards with Ultima 7 and Betrayal at Krondor. I have no desire to wade through 80s RPGs which have aged like milk left in the sun, except maybe Buck Rogers for a few minutes before sense prevails.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom