Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime DoW Tourney - Pre-Season 2 thread

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Shalom noble denizens.

I have decided to launch Season 2 of the Prestigious RPG Codex Dawn of War Tournament (tm)(c)(r).

But before I post the actual thread with the signups, I'd like to discuss some things regarding the tourney rules.

1. The general rules are more or less not going to change. It will still be best of 3, everyone picks two races, first map in a match will be drawn randomly, league structure will be playoffs leading to semis leading to finals.

2. Map selection will remain the same, but with one proviso: Ninjerk's Demise led to some butthurt last time, so it will be removed from the first map random selection pool to make the experience a little more ~balanced~. However, it will remain in the general map pool, so players will be able to pick it when they want/can.

3. This time there will be an actual regulated match day structure, instead of a free-for-all play when you want with whomever you want system. This is because experience has shown that fags can't be trusted to be reasonable, so they need to be familiarised with the taste of the jackboot.

4. Folks have also complained about the power stacking of divisions last time, so I've decided to take measures against that too. Initially I thought about doing some sort of weighted seeding (like e.g. "there can be no jaedar and roxor in the same division"), but judging player skill apriori might be tuff if we get newfags.
So instead, after a discussion with the Inner Circle (tm), we've come up with the idea of a reverse draft - the divisions will be divided into the top playaz from the previous season (e.g. Jaedar and Deso), and they will take turns to pick players from the pool and assign them into the other player's division. So, for example, deso has first pick, he sees roxor in the player pool and says "nop, let the swede handle that guy", so roxor is assigned to divJaedar. Then jaedar sees rk47 and says "nop, i dont wanna go up against koreans", so rk47 is assigned to divDeso. So on and so forth.

Anyone have any other suggestions or comments or butthurt that needs venting? Discuss!!!

Jaedar desocupado RK47 Snorkack hello friend Brotherman Bill Ninjerk Dayyālu Quatlo Stormcrowfleet Reject_666_6

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Wow. I did not expect this. I must consult the Eldar Gods.

1562060451839.jpg

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Sounds good. One thing I'd like to suggest: Previous season, playoffs ended with a 3-man-draw in the virgin division, iirc the ruling to resolve that situation seemed kinda arbitrary. Might want to lay out rules for something like that beforehand.

Tentatively interested in participating, depends on schedule tho. Kinda busy til mid/late august.

RK47

Patron
You aint ready for shit, nigga.

anime-reaction-gif-smug.gif

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
I will 100% bail out. I won 0 match last time and haven't played seriously since. I commit sepuku.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Wow. I did not expect this. I must consult the Eldar Gods.
Will rk step out from behind the veil of shadows from which he sent his apprentices last tournament, and participate in person?

Find out next week, on CodexDow-Z!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
One thing I'd like to suggest: Previous season, playoffs ended with a 3-man-draw in the virgin division, iirc the ruling to resolve that situation seemed kinda arbitrary. Might want to lay out rules for something like that beforehand.

IIRC it resolved itself because the 3rd guy from the 3-man draw lost his final match :M but yes, it's a good point. I think we were also fucked because Quatlo quit without playing all matches, but anyway. Tiebreaker rools I'd propose:

- If anyone has a skipped match (he didn't play one of his matches and the match day advanced without him), he automatically is disregarded from the tiebreaker,
- If still unresolved, compare the three fellows' performance against one another
- If still unresolved, the person with the most net individual victories wins (i.e. tally up the individual wins and losses for every game played; guy with the best balance goes through)
- If still unresolved, compare the performance of the three fellows against the top guy in the division,
- If still unresolved... I propose a 3x FFA overtime match just to break the tie. Because it's so retarded we might as well do it, and it's cooler than coin toss. Winner goes through.

I won 0 match last time and haven't played seriously since. I commit sepuku.

Hey, I remember you almost won vs deso. Also, I'm p. sure I played only 1 game since the last tourney and it was last week :lol:

Which servers we gonna use? Steam?

Yarp.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Thanks! Next rule sperging question.
so they need to be familiarised with the taste of the jackboot.
How will this be enforced in practise? Imagine I'm a NEET who's available 24/7 to play except for two hours during the week, when I have to collect my welfare cheque. Will I get punished too, if my weekly opponent decides that those two hours are the only ones where he's free to play?

I will 100% bail out. I won 0 match last time and haven't played seriously since. I commit sepuku.
I pretty much haven't played any videogames at all since the last tourney, yet I'm considering participation just for the hilarious RK47 VODs alone. Just sayin'.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I'm leaving for NYC tonight and won't be back until Tuesday of next week (EST), after which I wait an indeterminate time to leave the US. I can't say what my availability will be.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
How will this be enforced in practise? Imagine I'm a NEET who's available 24/7 to play except for two hours during the week, when I have to collect my welfare cheque. Will I get punished too, if my weekly opponent decides that those two hours are the only ones where he's free to play?
This has never been a problem in blood bowl leagues. Generally the rule is that you should arrange games publicly (or at least announce), which makes such dastardly behaviour pretty easy to spot.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

My thoughts:

- Everyone is expected to play one game a week.
- If you can't play one game a week within reasonable constraints, you shouldn't apply. "I have two hours on one day free during the entire week when I can dow" is not a reasonable constraint.
- If such circumstances would happen that the two playaz really can't get a match going on the week of a given match day, but they can mutually agree to another date and post about it in the thread (preferably this another day is not next saturday when a match day ends on a sunday), then the match day can be extended for them.
- If one playa tries to schedule a game but the other one repeatedly fails to show up, the other guy will be considered to have forfeited. Forfeits give 0 points and count as a worse result than losing 2:0 for purposes of tiebreaking.
- If both playaz are retarded and can't arrange a game, they will both be considered to have forfeited.
- If both playaz are seemingly unable to schedule a match despite their really best intentions and attempts... let's hope that doesn't happen. But in this case I'd consider coin toss to determine the winner.

Nahel

Arcane
I am interested to be crushed by the chads of the Codex. I have not played since a long time. It should be epic..

RK47

Patron
You should practice with the other codexers on steam.

Dayyālu

Arcane
I truly give the worst of myself in DW. I guess I'll join if there's the need of a guy for numbers, but playing with some people is an exercise in "oh God now I remember why I don't like to optimize RTS MP".

If someone wants to play outside the tourney, tho, that's great. Hit me on Steam freely. Name's the same.

Also Roxor, I gave you the OpenRA tourney and you let it die. I did say I was too lazy to run it!

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Hey guys! Looks like my shilling has paid off.

I haven't touched the game since the last tourney but playing with you fags is its own reward anyway. :bounce:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom