Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Codex Year of the Donut
image.png

uh

Okagron

Prophet
Bought San Andreas because i was having an huge urge to replay it, but apparently the pc port is terrible. Fortunately, you can downgrade it to V1.0, which restores the songs that were removed due to the licensing ending, and there's a SilentPatch that fixes a bunch of stuff.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Bought San Andreas because i was having an huge urge to replay it, but apparently the pc port is terrible. Fortunately, you can downgrade it to V1.0, which restores the songs that were removed due to the licensing ending, and there's a SilentPatch that fixes a bunch of stuff.
Downgrading to 1.0 makes the game better? I was just about to play this too.

Okagron

Prophet
The purpose of it seems to just add back all the stuff the steam version removed (mostly the songs that were removed). You also need to be V.1.0 to even mod the game (this is what i got from several posts in a couple of forums i checked) because the version on Steam doesn't allow modding for some reason.

So yeah, if you want every song that was in the original release version, you have to downgrade it to V.1.0. And if you want to mod it, you have to do the same.

Dreed

Bremsstrahlunged
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The purpose of it seems to just add back all the stuff the steam version removed (mostly the songs that were removed). You also need to be V.1.0 to even mod the game (this is what i got from several posts in a couple of forums i checked) because the version on Steam doesn't allow modding for some reason.

So yeah, if you want every song that was in the original release version, you have to downgrade it to V.1.0. And if you want to mod it, you have to do the same.

The patch included in this guide is good, you get the songs back, and a few graphical effects are restored:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=720460154

Citizen

I dont think I can get any coupons out of this event, I just want parrots to win +M

Seems like the corgi is winning most days, were there some organised plan for people to join that team?

Modron

Arcane
I dont think I can get any coupons out of this event, I just want parrots to win +M

Seems like the corgi is winning most days, were there some organised plan for people to join that team?
No just snowballed out of users wanting to be on the winning team and corgi happened to be the first one to start distancing itself from the pack.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Bought Black Mesa, played it for about 3.5h now. Absolutely stunning, everything is there (well, except for Xen, but that's going to be released soon) and it all feels right. It's also rather polished for what is a relatively small indie/fan project. They really kept the original intent and feel of Half-Life in the game, gameplay is butter smooth and gunfights are as fast and intense as the original HL. At 7€ your excuses are none.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

side note: starbound actually looks like a real game now instead of just a novelty rougelike.

mpyyo3g.png

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The fourth game is a lot better. Third is a bit generic, but they upped their game big league in the fourth.
I bought 4 instead and it didn't disappoint. I enjoyed the first map, I hope the next maps are even better. The game also runs suprisingly well on a $600 laptop.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Picked up a few more games, this will probably be my last Summer Sale purchase:

Elder Sign: Omens
Got it on a whim even though it wasn't on sale, played it for <1 min and immediately refunded it. I never played the boardgame, but I thought it might be a nice little atmospheric time waster, but the atmosphere is completely sucked out of it due to the mobile-like interface. I have a tough time getting into computer board game adaptions (Talisman puts me to sleep), so I probably should have known this one wouldn't be my cup of tea.

Heroes of Steel
Liking this so far, nice little tactical combat RPG. My only complaint is the fixed characters and the horrible back and forth dialog over every little thing; in that respect, it feels like I'm playing a JRPG whenever my characters go on and on about some treasure chest in a room.

Mage's Initiation
The sale discount sucks but it's a QFG-like so I had to get it.

Pathologic 2
Convinced by this here forum to get this, seems like my kind of game.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Elder Sign: Omens

Not only that ES:Omens is basically mythos Yathzee, with a sprinkle of added variables, you literally just throw dices and hope for the right combination. Ok, that's harsh, but it's without any doubt one of the most aleatory games I've ever played. The boardgame itself is quite meh (although very fast to setup, play and put away) and I cannot imagine the kind of person that could apreciate it in its virtual incarnation. At least when playing with other phags irl you have access to mom jokes and flip-the-table options.

Talisman is decent but quite old and clunky, it lacks the features of modern dungeon crawlers, which usually feel much more like an RPG lite nowadays. In any case, those game are only gud if you have someone to play with and, if you have friends willing to play, Tabletop Simulator is a far better solution.

and I cannot imagine the kind of person that could apreciate it in its virtual incarnation.
Right here. Got it in mobile, PC, and tabletop. It is Yahtzee, but it's a good thing I enjoy playing Yahtzee too. Come at me bro. :kingcomrade:

Seriously though, I just like the dice fuckery. The digital versions are enjoyable for just mashing out a game or two super fast, while tabletop's more fun for the shared experience of being completely unable to make a really simple throw and shitting the bed completely when Nuffle slaps his wroth down upon you. Definitely not a game to play in any form if you want atmosphere like Newtmonkey said, but if you like dice chucking and some lighter risk management it's a pretty good time.

pOcHa

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
wrong thread, supposed to be in co-op board games

Just want to confirm the already mentioned Robinson Crusoe, Spirit Island, Battlestar Galactica, Dead of Winter, Arkham/Eldritch Horror, Sherlock Holmes series, Pandemic series, Zombicide series, Warhammer Quests: Silver Tower / The Adventure Card Game, The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth, Dark Souls (everyone but me liked it). My group also recommends Mice and Mystics, but haven't yet tried it myself. This ones i didn't see talked about here:

Unlock / Exit - escape the room, point-and-click type (combine item cards) series of adventure games... former better than latter

Time Stories
- just like Time Cop with JCVD, but instead of going back as yourself, you posses susceptible people, each with their own stats and special abilities (most videogame-like boardgame)... gameplay is like Groundhog Day, where you repeat events (but something always changes) until you fix things right or completely fuckup

Marvel Legendary - deck building, destroy villains before they escape the queue (new card pushes them further every turn), some are more dangerous or/and tough, so you need to prioritize... thematically very well done, great fun trying out all the unique heroes

Aeon's End - deck building without shuffling (cards stay in order you discard them), pretty challenging though (especially if nemesis gets to play consecutive turns)... get the legacy version first, it has a story campaign and is like a tutorial, also can be later combined with the base game and expansions as well

The Dresden Files Cooperative Card Game - was the only one who read the books in my group, and it's hard as nails (didn't even manage to solve the first scenario) so the others gave up on it... like marvel legends, but the villains queue does not move once set, instead you have to beat them in a strictly specific order like a puzzle, so heroes have to combine their powers optimally each and every turn

Betrayal (at House on the Hill) Legacy - general rule, if you like a game, the legacy version always makes it even better... for some you don't really need to destroy things (just put them away, and use a non permanent marker), for others there is a separate reset kit (only if you want to play again from start), but most can be continued to play normally once fully completed

Gloomhaven - best dungeon crawler, but way too many side scenarios (and some are grindy) which you don't even have to do since monsters always scale to your level, and once you try out all the heroes it gets repetitive afterwards... but until then you really get your moneys worth, don't worry

Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles - got the expansion before we even finished the base game, but wouldn't otherwise, really fatigued right now... wish it was more streamlined (like gothic) and not so sandboxy (elder scrolls) experience

Detective: A Modern Crime
- about to start it any week now...

7th Continent
- about to start it any week now...

Last edited:

I very much enjoyed Xcom2 and it has a huge markdown.

I also recommend most of the DLC for it as it adds new enemies and the option to create mechanized units as well.

I didn't play the first game, only the older ones. I was worried they'd been dumbed down, but there's a surprising number of features that made it through.

Destructible environments, randomized units, unit customization, permadeath, salvaging enemy tech. It's all in.

Granted, you start with a max squad size of 4, but this can be upgraded to 6 later on.

Really a pretty satisfying game with at least some replay value due to its randomized level and mission design.

Last edited by a moderator:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I liked Xcom2, although I started getting bored of the repetition about half way through. I completed it but had to force myself.

My Steam Wishlist is pretty tragic because it contains 32 games I am interested in, but none of them are really good enough, even if I could get them for free. Half of them are early access which means they might be good, in 5 years... but maybe not. And the other half are things like X3 which I could probably make work for me if I modded it hard enough, but seeing as I waited this long, I may as well just wait a few years for X4 and see if that gets its shit together eventually. If I get desperate for a space game in the meantime, I'll just replay Space Rangers 2.

I've got Bards Tale 4 on there, but I'm waiting for the super awesome edition, and it isn't on sale anyway.

I've got 7 Days to Die on there which I always wanted to try, and then they did an update that the majority of players hated and all changed their reviews to negative. I wanna try it some day but only if it gets out of development hell.

TL;DR, I haven't bought anything in this year's sale. I still have plenty of stuff I already got years ago that I still haven't played yet.

I liked Xcom2, although I started getting bored of the repetition about half way through.
I felt the same by the end, but it took until the late game for me to get bored of it.

Probably mostly due to the expansion packs adding some variety to the early and mid game.

One of the advantages to waiting to play a game until after all the patches and DLC have come out.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I haven't even logged onto Steam during this sale, but for some reason there's a lot of parrot memes out there now:

710c9hfp9k831.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom