Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Name a well-loved or "classic" RPG that you've never played

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Gothics seem to be a recurring choice in the thread hmm

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Wizardry series, Ultima series.
Number of entries in these series is scary, but I actually tried to play Ultima VII. Hovewer, controls (movement by holding right button was most annoying) and resolution +UI made me quit after some time.
Wizardry series...I don't know what exactly made me ignore that series, but I don't find it interesting for me. Sorry, not my cup of tea.

Edit: I think I can include Gotic series too, I tried to play in Gothic 3, but bugs was so overwhelming ( I didn't encountered so many bugs in any other game, even in Bethesda games) that I gave up. And Gothic 4 was simply boring, I can understand people who hate this game.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Forgot to mention Ultima VI and VII. The only CRPGs I just couldn't into due to UI and perspective.
That the combat is simplistic real time doesn't help either.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Wizardry. I hate creating huge party. (even if I did play other games with big party creator)
How could you not like creating your own party?
right? don't tell him, but he may not like RPG's...
I like creating party when they are smaller. I may have an approach more TTRPG since that's where I come from, but for me, party members are things that can die and be replaced. If it takes such a long time to create just one party member and I have to create 6 or 8, then it becomes a chore. I understand why people like it, I'm not against it, I'm just saying it's not my cup of tea. That's why I prefer Arcanum, Fallout, Age of Decadence, etc. because it's only one char and you can recruit companion along the way.

For me, ideal party size to create is DOS or Eye of the Beholder. Especially since in EotB, you have very few things to choose from because it's AD&D. Dark Sun game were the same: big party, but few features, so it's manageable. Char creation for me is not the game.

Dodo1610

Arcane
I did install ToEE once but immediately uninstalled it when I realised that it has full party generation instead of companions that you meet during the story.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
What? It makes perfect sense, in-game
Of course there is some kind of "plausible" explanation in game, but it doesnt make sense outside of it- is what i said.
Takes way too many forced "reasons" for me to suspend disbelief and i hate the result of that in every possible way. It also must freeze technology at specific level... but somehow keep it separate from magic... and so on.
Dont see it as cool or interesting or anything except "hey lets just force two things together its going to be novelty!"

Oh yeah. Betrayal at Krondor. Shit, I should play that. At the time of its release I avoided it because even as a kid I thought Feist was absolute garbage tier fantasy, but a setting does not a game break.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Pretty simple for me:

All the "beloved" Action RPG's I have no interest in whatsoever. If the combat is real-time (no pause), then it's not a real RPG but twitcher popamole. Only the earlier real-time blobbers I could kind of stomach, such as Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder and Lands of Lore 1.

Outmind

Augur
The earliest Might & Magic game I played was 6.

I dislike those early isometric RPGs like Ultima so I've never played those either.

I've never played Gothic 1. Gothic 2 was meh.

Still need to try any Wizardry older than 8, King of Dragon Pass, and Dark Sun.

moleman

Arbiter
Patron
  • Arcanum - Never played it for some reason. Will eventually.
  • Wizardry - Only played Wiz 6. Did't finish it. Probably won't play it again.
  • Ultima - Only played (and finished) I and IV. Not sure if I will play V.
  • Planescape Torment - never finished it. But I will.
  • Age of Decadence - I don't know much about this one. Never played it.
  • Betrayal of Krondor - Never played it. But it seems like my cup of tea.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Betrayal at Krondor & Wizardry VII. Because I'm lazy fuck and there's no good prose translation. And W VII is too new and unconventional for a brainless blobber.
Darklands. RTwP, too few pixels for it's own good. Nope.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Disciples of Steel. I haven't even played it yet, and either octavius or Unkillable Cat told me about it and I respect the opinions of those monocled gentlemen.
Try it, it's great. One of the best games with Goldbox-styled combat that I have played. There are some bugs but they are mostly just map glitches in the final dungeon.

As for my list, it's gonna be a long one, starting with the Wizardry series in its entirety. They require a time commitment I simply cannot afford at this point in my life.
Wizardry 1 and Wizardry 6 are quite short. I recenlty started to replay Wiz6 and it's around 40 hours.

Realms of Arkania series.
Just as the first game was coming up on my chronlogical play list, rumours about the Remake began. And it's still not on GOG, so it's kind of in limbo for me.
Just download it from any abandonware site, duh. The most difficult thing in this game is party creation, I think I rolled party for hour or two. :lol: Remake sucks, BTW.

Anythin from Wizardry. Idk, recommend me where to start, I guess..?
6 or 7. Wiz 1-3 are fun but pretty primitive, Wiz4 is great but not for the weak of heart (also it's quite meta, so playing Wizardry 1 first is recommended), Wiz5 is OK, but is a link between Wiz1-3 and 6. Wiz6 has great combat, story and exploration, Wiz7 is more of the same, only tenfold. Wiz8 is playable, but is decline in every aspect.

Anything from Ultima. Idk, recommend me where to start, I guess..?
4 or 7. Better start with Ultima Underworlds, though.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Ultima series.
I've completed only the first chapter of BaK.
And Wizardry games. I don't play blobbers, M&M VIII was the only exception, but for some reason I gave up in the crystal tower. The last minutes of the game...

:negative:

Oh well. We all played it just for the Arcomage anyway.

flushfire

Augur
4 people have never played Betrayal in Krondor in just 1 page, c'mon dudes, that is depressing. The title theme alone is enough to make it gotyay, it's like the Mega Man 2 of RPGs.

v1rus

Arcane
Arcanum.
I had a more busy life back then, and what time I had for gaming was for a large part used on PB(E)M games. Also, being a storyfag the game didn't seem crucial to me.

Being a fellow massive storyfag myself - play Arcanum. Theres lot of good storyfaggotry stuff there. The confrontation with the main antagonist being of the best, if not the best, of its kind.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Arcanum.
I had a more busy life back then, and what time I had for gaming was for a large part used on PB(E)M games. Also, being a storyfag the game didn't seem crucial to me.

Being a fellow massive storyfag myself - play Arcanum. Theres lot of good storyfaggotry stuff there. The confrontation with the main antagonist being of the best, if not the best, of its kind.

Heh, I actually miswrote. It should have said "combatfag", not "storyfag".

Puukko

Arcane
Far too many to admit to, but I am working on it and on the other hand there's hundreds upon hundreds of hours of classics for me to play for the first time.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
For me, it's Age of Decadence. I simply have no interest in its content or its subject. I also have no desire to have VD yell at me as my DM when I make decisions he doesn't approve of. I'll likely never play it.

I’ve had the same problem with AoD.

I’ve started it a couple of times, but it just never picked up for me.

Another one is BG2.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Played almost everything except Oblivion - why are people on this thread calling that shit a classic?. I still need to get around to Jagged Alliance 2; in my defence, I'm playing all of my games in (the games) chronological order, and I'm currently in Feudal Japan 1530 or so. Should get it played by the end of the year.

Interesting prediction will be: will BG3 make it to the RPG Codex classic list? There is a list isn't there?.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
  • Ultima series.
  • Wizardry series.
  • Might and Magic series.
  • The Bard's Tale series.
  • Dungeon Master.
  • Pretty much every western RPG released before Fallout.
RPGs begin with Fallout for me. What came earlier is too dated for me to enjoy, and the settings are simply not interesting (cookie cutter D&D). I will probably make exceptions for dungeon crawlers in the future, as those are sparse on story and heavy on spectacle.

RPGs released AFTER Fallout, it's easier for me to list the ones I have played and finished. Ranked by how much I enjoyed them, not by how "good" they are. I'll omit my first two RPGs: Skyrim and Fallout 3.
  • Fallout: New Vegas :5/5:
  • Morrowind :4/5:
  • Wasteland 2 :3/5:
  • Gothic :5/5:
  • Planescape: Torment :4/5:
  • Fallout :5/5:
  • Fallout 2 :4/5:
  • Arcanum :3/5:
  • Baldur's Gate :2/5:
  • The Witcher :5/5:
  • Icewind Dale :3/5:
  • Deus Ex :4/5:
I believe I'm missing something, but that would be it. I have played some ATOM RPG but my computer isn't 100% up to speed for the highest settings, and I liked what I saw.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom