Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Name a well-loved or "classic" RPG that you've never played

Viata

Arcane
Any RTwP rpg that is not Baldur's Gate 1. And BG1 is the reason I don't want to play any of them.

hellbent

Augur
KoTC. FINALLY started playing this week and am totally hooked. Think I was put off by the crappy text at launch plus the limited choices of races/classes back when it first came out. Plus, it's not like the dev has ever done a whole lot to keep it in the public eye. It's as if he dislikes shekels or something.

Thonius

Arcane
Ultima series.
MnM bloober series.
Wizards series.
Actually anything that's considered classic (or not) before Fallout 1 and especially bloobers.
Started recently gold box Pool of Radiance with companion app that tracks HP and does maps.
Oh yeah and Planescape Torment just does not look appealing for me.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I’m surprised about how many people haven’t played a lot of stuff before Fallout.

Good luck to ya:salute:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Daggerfall. Sheer size seems daunting. Cookie cutter templates make it feel like the game would be pointless to play. Procedurally-generated dungeons and landmasses of an unholy, heliish size conjure up images of emptiness, despair & stultifying tedium. I vividly remember someone posting about Daggerfall years ago on Usenet or some forum and saying something like: "I thought it was the most amazing game ever and I played it for hours. So much to do, so many NPCs to talk to, monsters to kill, quests to be had, treasure to be found, in such a huge open world... until I realized I was completely alone in that world." That really stuck with me, and I never played the game outside of a few minutes to see how it ran under DOSBox with mounted ISOs.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
RPGs begin with Fallout for me.

drake_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqZPnXlBHEdt8AtjizIYNgmZhw_iIPZqUNP2EjAIFcGyw.jpg

I'll omit my first two RPGs: Skyrim and Fallout 3.

cn4l0fhvydt11.jpg

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The Gothic series, the genre isn't my cup of tea even if i'm tempted, sometimes, due to the praise these games get around here.

The witcher series, not gonna happen.

Oblivion, Skrym, not gonna happen either, Morrowind was bad enough i don't want anything to do with that franchise.

New Vegas, Fallout 3 was such a huge decline i stopped caring at all about that franchise, tempted to try New Vegas but i always find an excuse (or something else to play) not to.

Deus Ex, same reason, it's probably good but it's not my genre, could change my mind at some point.

Dark souls franchise, not gonna happen ...

Anachronox, Alpha protocol, System shock franchise (bis).

MotB, NwN 2 engine is so bad it discouraged me, wanted to do it last year but started to replay the OC first, shouldn't have done that ...
You have great taste and have missed a whole lot of super shitty decline. The exception is System Shock though. It isn't really an RPG, you have an inventory and some very basic character building. But mostly it is a shooter, but it is about 100 times better than Halflife or any other shooter and was so advanced for its time. Also MOTB I didn't like much but it deserves to not be included with all those other horrible games.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I don't think I ever played Icewind Dale 2. I wasn't a huge fan of the first one because of its combat focus, and if I did ever install the sequel it was only briefly. I do own it on GOG of course, so maybe someday...

I never played some of the older SSI games. I did play Dark Sun and the Ravenloft game, but the some of the other popular ones like Eye of the Beholder and Krynn I did not. I'm not as into blobbers as other styles, and these were from before my time, so it's hard to make time for them. Same for the early Might and Magics.

There's other games pretty high on our top 100 list I haven't played just because I have zero interest, they're not really my thing: Nier Automata, Mount & Blade, etc. Also newer ones I just haven't gotten around to like Underrail and Pathfinder.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I haven't missed much, and mostly it is by choice. I don't really like most 80s games, they are just too primitive. 90s is the peak for me. BAK is maybe my favorite RPG.

I installed Gothic, realized it had tank controls, and immediately uninstalled it. Although I wonder if I was being too hasty. I just can't imagine that an rpg with tank controls has good things to offer elsewhere.
The combat is atrocious and it has the worst mage combat I've ever seen in a game, it seems like a total afterthought but that is no excuse. That said, there are some things I liked about it. The characters are a bit more realistic, not very fantasy, miles from high fantasy. No childishness which is rare for a game. Also the world design is pretty interesting. Also in at least one of the games you have to pick a side, humans or orcs, and whichever one you pick means you basically genocide an entire town of the other race. Which was interesting. But to me if a game has bad combat it is dead to me.

Pretty simple for me:

All the "beloved" Action RPG's I have no interest in whatsoever. If the combat is real-time (no pause), then it's not a real RPG but twitcher popamole. Only the earlier real-time blobbers I could kind of stomach, such as Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder and Lands of Lore 1.

Action RPGs are mostly shit because they are not RPGs and they don't even have fun action gameplay. It annoys me... Some exceptions though. System Shock games are masterpieces. Also I wish I could change your mind about some things with EverQuest but it would take too long :/

Master

Arbiter
I haven't missed much, and mostly it is by choice. I don't really like most 80s games, they are just too primitive. 90s is the peak for me. BAK is maybe my favorite RPG.

I installed Gothic, realized it had tank controls, and immediately uninstalled it. Although I wonder if I was being too hasty. I just can't imagine that an rpg with tank controls has good things to offer elsewhere.
The combat is atrocious and it has the worst mage combat I've ever seen in a game, it seems like a total afterthought but that is no excuse. That said, there are some things I liked about it. The characters are a bit more realistic, not very fantasy, miles from high fantasy. No childishness which is rare for a game. Also the world design is pretty interesting. Also in at least one of the games you have to pick a side, humans or orcs, and whichever one you pick means you basically genocide an entire town of the other race. Which was interesting. But to me if a game has bad combat it is dead to me.
Seems like you only played Gothic 3.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I played them all, including the expansions. NOTR was the only one I completed though.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Fallout 2 - Didn't really like Fallout 1, so i didn't bother. As long as there are other games I want to play and haven't yet, I don't think I will make an attempt at F2.

Arcanum - I don't really know why. Maybe, if there is a RPG-drought for me, I might try it out.

Also, I haven't really played any pre-1997 RPG and don't intend to as of now.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Anything from Ultima. Idk, recommend me where to start, I guess..?
7 with exult, just remember it's more of an adventure game than RPG. Alternatively 5, if you want to be really oldschool, I guess.

I've never cared enough to try kotors because I know they're shit.

ebPD8PePfC

Savant
Betrayal at Krondor - the first person mode made me nauseous. It's weird, because I have no issue with fps games. I had to stop after reaching the first temple. My memories are hazy, but I think I did toy with it as a child and had no issues. Aging I guess.

MoTB - I hate DnD character system, and high level DnD even more. I hated the visuals of NVW and NVW2 since they came out, and always thought they shouldn't have been 3d. I hate RTwP. So I got to the first boss, a guy in a circular room (a church or circus I think) and dropped it. Maybe one day I'll reinstall and finish it on story mode difficulty.

KotOR 2 - I saw The Phantom Menace in cinema and lost all interest in the franchise. Playing an RPG in star wars environment sounds pretty awful.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
RPGs begin with Fallout for me.

drake_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqZPnXlBHEdt8AtjizIYNgmZhw_iIPZqUNP2EjAIFcGyw.jpg

I'll omit my first two RPGs: Skyrim and Fallout 3.

cn4l0fhvydt11.jpg

I'm not sure I understand.

When I say "begin with Fallout" I mean to say "I will not play anything made before Fallout unless it really sparks my interest". In other words: I'm not about to play Ultima IV because the Codex says it's great. But stuff like dungeon crawlers (specifically the templates "Dungeon Master", "Wizardry", and "Ultima Underworld"; stuff like Might & Magic isn't of interest to me) are something I'm willing to play. Computer RPGs simply haven't aged well compared to console RPGs. I suppose that's to be expected considering the mouse revolutionized how we interact with computers.

I finished Skyrim and I looked up other games like Skyrim, and Fallout 3 came up. Then I played New Vegas, then Morrowind, and then lots of other RPGs that weren't like Bethesda's.

Can we stop rating people posts as retarded ?

I've begun ignoring people who do that, I recommend it. You will not get any meaningful discussion out of them anyhow. Same with people who use "butthurt".

"Decline" and "disagree" are fine though.

EDIT: "Cuck" is also grounds for immediate termination.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom