Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Ys series

Endemic

Arcane
Picked up a few Ys games on sale recently. Origin seems fun enough so far, decided to pick Yunica to start and she's surprisingly good at crowd control.

CyberModuled

Arbiter
All of that while not having to play as Hugo.

especially when his brother is ten times cooler

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://gematsu.com/2019/07/ys-ix-m...-new-characters-new-systems-and-map-of-balduq

PS4
Ys IX: Monstrum Nox introduces five new characters, new systems, and map of Balduq
The latest information from Dengeki PlayStation.

Sal Romano8 hours ago90

The latest issue of Dengeki PlayStaiton has new information on Ys IX: Monstrum Nox, including the reveal of characters Commander Chatelard, Warden Berger, Examiner Ingrid, Marius, and Margotto, and the Boost / Extra Skill, Larva Battle, and Grimwald’s Night systems.

Get the information below.

Characters

• Commander Chatelard (voiced by Yuuki Ono) – Commander of the Church Knights. A handsome man with tanned skin and silver hair. His position coupled with his appearance has earned him popularity in the city. A battle between him and Hawk will carefully unfold.
  • Warden Berger (voiced by Takahiro Shimura) – A military man with excellent judgment ability and is unsparing to the Monstrum. Although impulsive, he is also logical, and while he has no hair left on his head, he does have the deep trust of his subordinates.
  • Examiner Ingrid (voiced by Natsuko Hara) (pictured in the above screenshot, via Falcom) – A woman dispatched from the Romun Empire. An excessive realist, she is thickheaded and tries not to believe in rumors and superstitions.
  • Marius (voiced by Shuuta Morisaki) – An amnesia-stricken and friendly young man who was imprisoned, and is capable in both action and insight. His memory loss will be the key to the story.
  • Margotto (voiced by Kujira) – A resistance leader from the Gllia area. What is her objective in getting through to the prisoners?
Systems

• Boost and Extra Skill – By pressing R1 + L1 during battle, you will enter the “Boost” state, which increases your ability, the damage you deal (as well as lowers enemy damage), movement speed, and the number of combo attacks you can land. Additionally, by pressing R1 + L1 in this state, you can activate your “Extra Skill,” which is a unique special move that ends the Boost state. To enter the Boost state, you must fill up a gauge that builds up by landing standard attacks and taking enemy damage.
  • Larva Battles – A dark miasma can be found in various places throughout the game. By touching it, your surroundings will become monotone and a battle will commence. By winning this battle, you will build up your Nox Gauge, which is necessary for “Grimwald’s Night” to occur. There are also hidden, high-difficulty Larva.
  • Grimwald’s Night – Occurs when the Nox Gauge reaches its maximum amount. The Monstrum gather in a different dimension where they must defeat countless Larva. The battle will end when all Larva have been defeated. This will also cause barriers in the city to disappear, expanding your range of actions. This system is based on the Raid and Beast Raid systems of the previous game, but brushed up and equipped with elements unique to this game. You will also receive bonuses based on your score and cooperation with Monstrum outside of your party.
In non-magazine leak-related news, Falcom also shared an image of the map of Balduq, otherwise known as “The Prison City,” where Ys IX: Monstrum Nox is set.

Ys IX: Monstrum Nox is due out for PlayStation 4 on September 26 in Japan.

Thanks, Ryokutya2089.

Martyr

Arcane
yo guys, I couldn't find a general JRPG thread so I'm posting this here instead:

I'm willing to play a JRPG. here's a list of games I'm considering. which one is the best/ which ones are the top 3? you could also rank them all if you've played every single one:

- Ys VIII - Lacrimosa of Dana
- Ys Seven
- Ys Origin
- Dragon Quest XI - Echoes of an Elusive Age
- CrossCode
- The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
- Monster Hunter World
- No no Kuni II - Revenant Kingdom

only requirements:
- it has to be fun
- the less cinematics, the better
- the less childish characters, the better

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
CrossCode is very fun and has some fun nudges and sidenotes to anime and JRPG's, but not too childish in my opinion. Otherwise try Ys: Seven, which is very lowkey and quite dark for a Ys-game.

Last edited:

Ysaye

Arbiter
yo guys, I couldn't find a general JRPG thread so I'm posting this here instead:

I'm willing to play a JRPG. here's a list of games I'm considering. which one is the best/ which ones are the top 3? you could also rank them all if you've played every single one:

- Ys VIII - Lacrimosa of Dana
- Ys Seven
- Ys Origin
- Dragon Quest XI - Echoes of an Elusive Age
- CrossCode
- The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
- Monster Hunter World
- No no Kuni II - Revenant Kingdom

only requirements:
- it has to be fun
- the less cinematics, the better
- the less childish characters, the better

I'd go Ys Origin based on your criteria. Yes there is a brief animation at the start but from there it is just into the fun action. Not really any childish stuff although Hugo (one of the two initial characters that you can pick from) is an arrogant prick that eventually suffers consequences because of this behaviour.

My favourite game of that lot is Cold Steel though but you would probably get sick of the early tropes so fast that it would be a trope in itself. The fact that the tropes often get broken later is another thing, but Millium would probably kill it for you.

Ys 8 would be the rounding out of the three...It's not the greatest game and the intro part is a bit slow (there is a running joke about boats and the main character) but the plot themes get mature pretty quickly ("Dr Kierkegaard" makes an appearance early....). If you want a game with characters like a grandmother gladiator in it who kicks ass then this game is for you. Also it has dinosaurs in it.

Ysaye

Arbiter
Ys Origin is a lot better if you finished Ys 1&2 first or at least know some of the story

Agreed - You wouldn't know the Facts (haha)....or any of the linkages of many of the other characters but still I think it is the best match for the criteria set.

Martyr

Arcane
I own Ys 1, 2 and Origins. tbh I was leaning towards Ys 8 right from the beginning, but I did also include Origins in my list of possible games, to see if that would be a better fit for me than 8. so playing Ys 1 and 2 before Origins wouldn't be a problem at all, the only problem is that the bump combat in Ys 1/2 seems really off putting to me.

Endemic

Arcane
Been trying out Lacrimosa of Dana on the free Steam weekend. Seems alright so far.

ys831kc3.jpg

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Want. But I hope. that they implemented those monstrum-skills a bitt more into the bossfights. Bosses are always my favorite part.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom