Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

PsychoFox

Educated
Is the rest of the game different? Is there actual recognition and reactivity ala Fallout? I was getting a great vibe out of the game thinking it's going to recognize my actions but now i'm not so sure.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Is the rest of the game different? Is there actual recognition and reactivity ala Fallout?
Not really. Especially the main quest is rather restrictive in this regard. You can solve quests in different ways, but there are limitations, and in the end the main quest follows the same specific steps regardless of what you do. Those early main quests are a pretty accurate representation of what the game has to offer, although with fewer bugs and half-finished parts than some of the later quests.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
There is some reactivity to whether you will help Theresa, and also how you will solve the investigation of the raided stable, as far as I remember.

Arulan

Cipher
I've shared this story a few times now, but this is some fantastic reactivity to the My Friend Timmy quest, how it relates to the Cuman camp, and the fantastic world simulation.

During the search for Timmy I was confronted by bandits from the Camp at the windmill. I managed to convince them that I'd heard he was holed up in Rattay. This was naturally a lie. They went on their way, but left someone to watch over me. Once I saw that they were gone I was left with little choice but to throw him in a ditch where no one could find him.

I did eventually find Timmy on my own, but his tale of wandering into the camp while intoxicated didn't inspire me with confidence. I decided to take it easy for the next few days, and return to the simple life.

A couple of days had passed since my encounter with the bandits. I was in Rattay, and about to enjoy a late-evening game of dice when I noticed something odd. There were bandits sitting at a table in the tavern, and not just any bandits, but the bandits I sent on a wild goose-chase here for Timmy. I couldn't believe that they were really here.

I decided to wait just outside in order to see what they would do. It was getting pretty late, and I knew they'd have to leave soon. I decide to follow while keeping my distance.

I continued to follow as they left Rattay. At first I thought they were heading towards the miller. Thoughts raced through my head that they knew I lied to them, and were coming to where I lived. It turns out this wasn't the case as they continued down the path.

I followed them on foot for literal hours across most of the map. I wasn't expecting to go on such an extensive journey, and had to scavenge the nearby grounds for mushrooms to keep myself from starving. I couldn't stray far from the path because I didn't want to lose sight of them.

A suspicion began to grow in my mind. I wonder if these bandits are leading me to their camp? The Camp! Once we began to arrive at Rovna, and headed further north into the woods I knew I had to be right.

At a couple of points along this forest path the bandits passed Cuman lookouts! This must be it! I continued to follow them, making sure to avoid any further lookouts.

In the end they led me straight to the Camp! The place I've been searching for throughout the last few quests. This completely blew me away. This wasn't the result of a formal quest. No quest markers had guided me to it. It was all the result of the logical consistency of the world simulation, and it's a moment I know I will always cherish.

PsychoFox

Educated
Okay guys tell me, at what point does combat against 3+ opponents become less frustrating? I'm not saying it's impossible, but considering the atrocious lock-on system, i'd say it's at least terrible. Also, i wouldn't mind not fighting that many opponents at the same time, but the game frequently throws encounters and fights at me that seem they are not beatable even at my high level. AFAIK there are no followers in this game either, so tell me, is the game just broken against more than 2 opponents like i expect it is or am i doing something wrong?

Black Angel

Arcane
Okay guys tell me, at what point does combat against 3+ opponents become less frustrating? I'm not saying it's impossible, but considering the atrocious lock-on system, i'd say it's at least terrible. Also, i wouldn't mind not fighting that many opponents at the same time, but the game frequently throws encounters and fights at me that seem they are not beatable even at my high level. AFAIK there are no followers in this game either, so tell me, is the game just broken against more than 2 opponents like i expect it is or am i doing something wrong?
From my experience, that point would be at max or nearing max combat stats and skills, with all the relevant perks. Whenever I got outnumbered 3+ to 1, I just focus on master striking one of them and hoped it scare most of them off, and so far it worked for the most part. If not, I just equip a shield and a mace, and wildly flail at one as I try keeping my distance and get all of them in my line of sight as to not get flanked.

Also, do notice that the game has different damage type. Swords and generally slashing damage weapons won't do well at all against heavily armored enemies, while blunt weapons generally works well against all type even though you probably wouldn't be as adept at using one as with swords. It's kind of unfortunate that direct combat against multiple enemies in games like these, and action-RPGs in general (like Gothic games) aren't really as fun, but in case of KCD you could always buff yourself with potions or use more indirect approach like stealth-killing them, or in case of taking out bandit camps you could poison their food and/or wine.

PsychoFox

Educated
From my experience, that point would be at max or nearing max combat stats and skills, with all the relevant perks. Whenever I got outnumbered 3+ to 1, I just focus on master striking one of them and hoped it scare most of them off, and so far it worked for the most part. If not, I just equip a shield and a mace, and wildly flail at one as I try keeping my distance and get all of them in my line of sight as to not get flanked.

Also, do notice that the game has different damage type. Swords and generally slashing damage weapons won't do well at all against heavily armored enemies, while blunt weapons generally works well against all type even though you probably wouldn't be as adept at using one as with swords. It's kind of unfortunate that direct combat against multiple enemies in games like these, and action-RPGs in general (like Gothic games) aren't really as fun, but in case of KCD you could always buff yourself with potions or use more indirect approach like stealth-killing them, or in case of taking out bandit camps you could poison their food and/or wine.

Okay this is good information. I might have to invest in learning mace combat then.

Efe

Erudite
combat is easily worst part of the game. hell, even skyrim has better combat than this.
i hope smejki dont mind me being blunt.

combat is easily worst part of the game. hell, even skyrim has better combat than this.

You should read my review/combat modding thread linked there. Properly modded, KCD has one of the better combats among medieval melee games. Although, it's more about technique and understanding how things work, rather than flashy moves.

A few things:

1. Fights against multiple opponents in KCD ARE difficult, realistically. In RL, most times you would be dead in that type of situation, unlike movies, so it's a challenge.

2. Try not to engage in those until you have decent armor (including headgear with tight or closed visor). You WILL get hit sometimes in these, since you can't parry everything from multiple directions, so if you are wearing armor, that will be stamina damage, which you can regen if you keep moving intelligently, but taking health damage will kill you fast.

3. Learn to change focus by using the "unlock" key. For me it was the middle mouse button I think, but you can remap it. Basically you hold it down to stop softlock, and then focus on whoever you want to target and release. This works better than the default aim switching, which is too slow sometimes.

4. Keep moving diagonally back at all times. So back and to the side at the same time. If you keep moving, their attacks will miss (especially for enemies with shorter weapons), and by also moving to the side, you will be placing some of the enemies between you and the others, limiting danger at any given time.

5. As you move, try to parry whoever is attacking, and do a quick counter-strike, by clicking attack right as you parry. Don't attack more than that, as it will just set you up for everybody else. If possible try to focus on light armored targets first, and remove them from the fight. Leave the armored enemies to the end, when you can 1v1 or 1v2 them.

6. You can also use ranged weapons to thin the enemy ranks before they join the fight.

7. This is a little cheesy, but you can attack groups on horseback. Strikes from horseback hit very hard and quickly take someone out.

This kind of fighting is different from 1v1. It's a lot less elegant and very messy. Expect to get hit a lot, but the key is to keep moving in armor, regen stamina (and not get caught with a lot of attacks at once), and slowly decimate the enemy.

Funposter

Arcane
will this top mafia as the most successful Czech game?

Critically or commercially? Mafia had sold two million copies, six years after its release. KCD achieved the same figure after a single year.

whoever rated this "citation needed" can go fuck themselves because the citations are literally a take-two announcement from 2008 and a THQ nordic announcement from february of this year

Efe

Erudite
it doesnt speak well for the game if you need modding for combat to work.
you disengage lock by running with shift, which immediately gets you tackled and further damaged.
im wearing plate. not the worst either.
and bows take like 3-4 seconds to draw completely for a good shot.. how many are you going to hit with that? not to mentionedf its night time and player doesnt have infrared vision like enemies do. using some cuman bow and i have the required stats

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I managed to skip the night with Father Godwin with a successful speech check. I'm all for making as much of the main quest optional as possible, but it should be criminal to rob the player of this quest in such a way. Punish failure, not success.

Ran into a problem with the "Dead Men Tell No Tales" quest. I took part in the Rattay tourney earlier, and now I can't seem to accept the quest from the blacksmith. When I talk to him, I only get the options to either not care (the quest doesn't activate) or tell him that I already participated (which completes the quest right away, with shitty results, of course). Sucks, since the DLC quests are the only ones I haven't played yet. It seems like something half of the players would run into, so is there any way around the problem?

PsychoFox

Educated

You should read my review/combat modding thread linked there. Properly modded, KCD has one of the better combats among medieval melee games. Although, it's more about technique and understanding how things work, rather than flashy moves.
Where's your combat modding writeup? Link it here or in your signature.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom